TorGuard

App crashing and blocking internet connection? What´s happening?

Rate this question

DUS

Question

Hi,

I have been running Torguard on my Mac for quite some time and, touch on wood, never with any major issue. Today, though, I am having an issue which I neither understand nor can solve. Hence, this post.

Earlier this morning, I had 2 Apple updates (one for the OS and one for Safari) and since then, the following happens: I click on the app icon, it shows me the interface to connect to the select server, I click on it and then after a few seconds the interface disappears but no connection etc happens. When I click on the app icon again, a Finder window pops up saying something along the lines of "The program "TorGuard" is no longer open/running". I say "along the lines of" since I am using a German language version and am translating the message to the best of my (limited) ability. 🙂

Now, from that moment on all internet access on my Mac is blocked (whether that´s on Safari, FF, Chrome or with the Mail app) and only rebooting the Mac will allow me to reconnect to the internet again. What is happening? And: What can I do to fix this?

What I already tried is to deinstall Torguard and reinstall it with the latest version. The result, however, is the same. No internet access.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DUS

12 answers to this question

Überprüfen Sie Ihre DNS Einstellungen, es deutet darauf, dass TorGuard Applikation vor dem Abstürzen die DNS setzt, überprüfen Sie den Inhalt der Datei

/etc/resolv.conf

dort sollten Sie entweder Ihre lokale DNS verwenden (zB. von Ihrem Router) oder setzen Sie beliebige öffentliche wie cloudflares 1.1.1.1

2 hours ago, 19807409 said:

Überprüfen Sie Ihre DNS Einstellungen, es deutet darauf, dass TorGuard Applikation vor dem Abstürzen die DNS setzt, überprüfen Sie den Inhalt der Datei

/etc/resolv.conf

dort sollten Sie entweder Ihre lokale DNS verwenden (zB. von Ihrem Router) oder setzen Sie beliebige öffentliche wie cloudflares 1.1.1.1

Danke! 🙂

No idea where to find tis conf file, though. Nor how to set the DNS once I located it. Dummy user here. 🙂

2 hours ago, DUS said:

No idea where to find tis conf file, though. Nor how to set the DNS once I located it. Dummy user here.

Strange, in most cases the first idea of everybody is a search engine, just like this one, there is even description in german

Thanks! 🙂

The DNS is set to Cloudflare´s 1.1.1.1 but it doesn´t change anything as to the app "crashing" or whatever happens when it starts to connect to a server. Ah well, seems I will just continue using Torguard on my mobile and the Nvidia Shield until the sub expires and then try a different VPN on my Mac. 

Again, thanks for your search results and support. Ist angekommen! 😉

Suggestion to set your DNS was to fix your internet connection if torguard app sets one before it crashes, it was not a suggestion how to fix torguard client crashing, try some newer version (beta) or some older and see if it works, if that does not work, you still can login to your account on torguard and create there a wireguard config for usage with original wireguard client. Like I said, those suggestions do not fix crashing client, write a ticket to support and let them know about it, they will help.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:55 AM, DUS said:

Hi,

I have been running Torguard on my Mac for quite some time and, touch on wood, never with any major issue. Today, though, I am having an issue which I neither understand nor can solve. Hence, this post.

Earlier this morning, I had 2 Apple updates (one for the OS and one for Safari) and since then, the following happens: I click on the app icon, it shows me the interface to connect to the select server, I click on it and then after a few seconds the interface disappears but no connection etc happens. When I click on the app icon again, a Finder window pops up saying something along the lines of "The program "TorGuard" is no longer open/running". I say "along the lines of" since I am using a German language version and am translating the message to the best of my (limited) ability. 🙂

Now, from that moment on all internet access on my Mac is blocked (whether that´s on Safari, FF, Chrome or with the Mail app) and only rebooting the Mac will allow me to reconnect to the internet again. What is happening? And: What can I do to fix this?

What I already tried is to deinstall Torguard and reinstall it with the latest version. The result, however, is the same. No internet access.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

DUS

Same exact scenario this afternoon, 
Sadly it took hours to determine that the connectivity issue is triggered by Torgurad. Did the same updates to my old Opencore Mac Pro without incident. Catalina on 1.7 GHZ MacBook Air. Anyone else have a fix?

- Pepin

Same issue here, only I can't get internet back on my mac. I only get it back when I re-install Torguard and then it crashes and disappears again, only to stop my connection no matter what I do. No matter what I do, I can not get internet back on my mac now unless I reinstall Torguard and run it.

If I try to click the icon, I get a "The application "TorGuard" is not open anymore." Nothing fixes this.

I'm completely at a loss. Restarting does nothing. I only get my internet back for like 120 seconds after reinstall and launch, then it crashes, and I'm stuck. I don't have time to deal with this. I can't even uninstall the app and get my internet back.

11 hours ago, psmld said:

Same issue here, only I can't get internet back on my mac. I only get it back when I re-install Torguard and then it crashes and disappears again, only to stop my connection no matter what I do. No matter what I do, I can not get internet back on my mac now unless I reinstall Torguard and run it.

If I try to click the icon, I get a "The application "TorGuard" is not open anymore." Nothing fixes this.

I'm completely at a loss. Restarting does nothing. I only get my internet back for like 120 seconds after reinstall and launch, then it crashes, and I'm stuck. I don't have time to deal with this. I can't even uninstall the app and get my internet back.

Try opening Activity Monitor, locate Torguard and Force Quit the app. You my be able to restart with connectivity. Tech support just had me uninstall and downgrade to v3.97.4 and Torguard is connecting and internet connectivity is intact. Alas, without wineguard or the modern GUI.

-Pepin

2 hours ago, pepintrout said:

Try opening Activity Monitor, locate Torguard and Force Quit the app. You my be able to restart with connectivity. Tech support just had me uninstall and downgrade to v3.97.4 and Torguard is connecting and internet connectivity is intact. Alas, without wineguard or the modern GUI.

-Pepin

Force quitting did nothing. I did get my internet back going through some of the problems people had in 2018 with a similar issue. I changed the settings for DNS and I got my internet back, but I have not tried to use Torguard since. I will wait until the next release to even attempt to use it on my mac again.

I just did the latest IOS updates to Catalina 10.15.7 and now have the same issue, had to delete Torguard and restart to enable internet access. Have download latest version of Torguard didn't help.

I have the same issue, first with Big Sur and then with Catalina after downgrading to it. Two options that have worked: setting up some IPsec connections and also reverting back to v3.97.4 as mentioned above.

On 10/31/2021 at 10:24 PM, pepintrout said:

If you want to use wireguard, you can, it is the client which you bind yourself to. Install latest wireguard client for mac, create config on your account page under config generator, then import your generated config and click connect.