TorGuard

TorGuard VPN Fatal Error

Rate this topic

NeilT

Been using TorGuard for years without issue. Restarted the PC and got this message "TorGuard VPN Fatal Error". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no help. It still logs in with my credentials after I uninstall , I would like to delete that file as well. Can anyone point me to the config files that holds this info? 

I think this was my first reboot after install 4.7.5 on my Win 10 Machine.

Capture.PNG

I have had this problem myself a bit in versions 4.7.2 (which was the release build at the time of purchase), 4.7.3, 4.7.5, and 4.7.7. In all instances of this issue I have been trying to use WireGuard as the tunnel type. My computer is running Windows 10 version 21H1 (10.0.19043 Build 19043) and I use WiFi as my internet connection method. I have not figured out why this problem occurs specifically.

What I do know is that - in my case - the problem is temporarily fixed for a period of time that varies in length between each time the problem occurs by using the task manager to end all "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process(es)¹ and the "TorGuardDesktopQt.exe" process (regardless if the latter is in the "Apps" section or "Background Process" section).

Once I have ended the processes in the task manager, I then I do one of two things (sometimes I try both if one of the methods does not want to work for some reason):

1. I try starting WireGuard and exiting out of the application's interface - without killing the process in the task manager. If there is a WireGuard update, I try to update WireGuard before exiting the interface. From there, I then try to open the TorGuard application.
    1. There have been instances where this method required ending at least one of the "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes.¹
      1. The WireGuard process I usually have to end is usually the one that has the "Service Manager" service² attached to it. Other times it is has been the one with the "Service Manager" service and the one with no services attached to it. I have only needed to end all of them if have to go back to the beginning and try again.
  2. I try to open the TorGuard application without starting WireGuard directly from the WireGuard application.
    1. In this instance, usually one or two "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes will start, one of them being the one with the "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service

If TorGuard does not move from the "Background Process" section, I use the task manager to end the background process for TorGuard and try relaunching the application again. Once the TorGuard application successfully opens, I make sure the tunnel type is WireGuard and it is usually smooth sailing from there until something happens to cause TorGuard to disconnect me from the internet until I disconnect from TorGuard. Usually after disconnecting from TorGuard my internet connection returns back to normal. If my computer says I have internet connection after disconnection, I follow the steps above.

If my internet remains disconnected, I will first fiddle with disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi. If that does not bring back the internet connection, I restart my computer until the internet connection comes back. This can usually take anywhere between one to three tries, rarely more than that.

Notes:

*¹: I usually find anywhere between one and three "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes running - depending on what I had to do -  in my task manager. The process are as follows but can appear in any order and almost any combination in the task manager:

1. Just the process with no services to unfold from the > symbol on the left side of the process.
  2. Has a "Service Manager" system service attached to it. I mostly see one service in this case, but there was an instance where I saw three "Service Manager" services.
  3. Has anywhere from one to three services that say "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard."
    1. Only once have I gotten a "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process with three "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services running at once and the VPN appeared to work.
    2. Sometimes there are two "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services running - it has only happened once or twice - and TorGuard still appeared to work.
    3. I mostly get only one "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service attached to this third "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process. I am not sure why this third process has multiple "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services attached to it sometimes. My best guess is because I have the "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service set to restart if it fails once, twice, and if it fails subsequent times; however, I think the "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process had multiple "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services attached to it at least once before I changed the restart.

image.png.efac147a73f2d19aafc08793437a96e6.png
Figure 1. This is one possible combination and is the most frequent combination I get.

*²: I end the process that has the "Service Manager" process attached to it, there is still a service in Computer Management - Services that is called "WireGuard Manager."

I hope that this post helps out in some way.

48 minutes ago, GlitchNet said:

I have had this problem myself a bit in versions 4.7.2 (which was the release build at the time of purchase), 4.7.3, 4.7.5, and 4.7.7. In all instances of this issue I have been trying to use WireGuard as the tunnel type. My computer is running Windows 10 version 21H1 (10.0.19043 Build 19043) and I use WiFi as my internet connection method. I have not figured out why this problem occurs specifically.

What I do know is that - in my case - the problem is temporarily fixed for a period of time that varies in length between each time the problem occurs by using the task manager to end all "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process(es)¹ and the "TorGuardDesktopQt.exe" process (regardless if the latter is in the "Apps" section or "Background Process" section).

Once I have ended the processes in the task manager, I then I do one of two things (sometimes I try both if one of the methods does not want to work for some reason):

1. I try starting WireGuard and exiting out of the application's interface - without killing the process in the task manager. If there is a WireGuard update, I try to update WireGuard before exiting the interface. From there, I then try to open the TorGuard application.
    1. There have been instances where this method required ending at least one of the "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes.¹
      1. The WireGuard process I usually have to end is usually the one that has the "Service Manager" service² attached to it. Other times it is has been the one with the "Service Manager" service and the one with no services attached to it. I have only needed to end all of them if have to go back to the beginning and try again.
  2. I try to open the TorGuard application without starting WireGuard directly from the WireGuard application.
    1. In this instance, usually one or two "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes will start, one of them being the one with the "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service

If TorGuard does not move from the "Background Process" section, I use the task manager to end the background process for TorGuard and try relaunching the application again. Once the TorGuard application successfully opens, I make sure the tunnel type is WireGuard and it is usually smooth sailing from there until something happens to cause TorGuard to disconnect me from the internet until I disconnect from TorGuard. Usually after disconnecting from TorGuard my internet connection returns back to normal. If my computer says I have internet connection after disconnection, I follow the steps above.

If my internet remains disconnected, I will first fiddle with disconnecting and reconnecting to the WiFi. If that does not bring back the internet connection, I restart my computer until the internet connection comes back. This can usually take anywhere between one to three tries, rarely more than that.

Notes:

*¹: I usually find anywhere between one and three "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" processes running - depending on what I had to do -  in my task manager. The process are as follows but can appear in any order and almost any combination in the task manager:

1. Just the process with no services to unfold from the > symbol on the left side of the process.
  2. Has a "Service Manager" system service attached to it. I mostly see one service in this case, but there was an instance where I saw three "Service Manager" services.
  3. Has anywhere from one to three services that say "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard."
    1. Only once have I gotten a "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process with three "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services running at once and the VPN appeared to work.
    2. Sometimes there are two "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services running - it has only happened once or twice - and TorGuard still appeared to work.
    3. I mostly get only one "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service attached to this third "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process. I am not sure why this third process has multiple "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services attached to it sometimes. My best guess is because I have the "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" service set to restart if it fails once, twice, and if it fails subsequent times; however, I think the "WireGuard: Fast, Modern, Secure VPN Tunnel" process had multiple "WireGuard Tunnel: wg-torguard" services attached to it at least once before I changed the restart.

image.png.efac147a73f2d19aafc08793437a96e6.png
Figure 1. This is one possible combination and is the most frequent combination I get.

*²: I end the process that has the "Service Manager" process attached to it, there is still a service in Computer Management - Services that is called "WireGuard Manager."

I hope that this post helps out in some way.

I remember i had this issue awhile back but After running Revo Uninstaller and Uninstalling Torguard and Wireguard Both* and Installing Torguard Newest Version Fresh Fixed it for me. I believe the newest Version of Torguard might have Wireguard Built into it! So the Wireguard files are inside the Torguard Folder and they removed the option to install wireguard during Installation Process.  so installing Wireguard separately may no longer be needed. If you install Wireguard off the Official site or Seperate Drivers it may Add extra Processes, But if you Don't have Wireguard installed - Then A clean Uninstall/Reinstall Should Perm fix it.