TorGuard

Access NGINX web server on port 80/443 from outside

Rate this question

sulliops

Question

Hi all,

I figure this is a long shot, but I may as well ask: I have a server running Ubuntu 20.04 that connects constantly to TorGuard via OpenVPN (auth port 1195, UDP), and I want to run a NGINX reverse proxy to make my torrent client's WebUI accessible without having to remember the port number. So far the reverse proxy works as intended, but I can only access it on port 80 through my local network.

Now, I know that I can't forward ports 80 or 443 on TorGuard's network because they're below 2048. However, TorGuard support replied to my initial ticket and said that I shouldn't have any issue with ports 80/443 from the outside.

I've checked, and firewalls are disabled. I realize a solution to this problem would be running my VPN-connected applications in a Virtual Machine, but that's not possible as the computer the server runs on does not support virtualization on a hardware level. Emulation would be way too slow, as the platform is a mid-range Core 2 Duo from early 2009, so that's out of the question.

Is there any way to push traffic through ports 80/443 on the TorGuard network?

Thanks.

1 answer to this question