TorGuard

Synology Open VPN/OVPN certificate failing "Illegal Certificate"

Rate this question

BleakRed

Question

I set up OpenVPN on my Synology (DS415+, DSM 6.2.4-25556) so long ago that I've forgotten the details.

About 4 hours ago, the login on the station reported a failed login "certificate may have expired".  I'm using the same OVPN generator as last time: https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-openvpnconfig

I've tried multiple combinations, including trying OVPN version 2.4 and above and 2.3 and below. Regardless of what I try, I get "Illegal Certificate" in alarming red letters. Any help or guidance is appreciated.30.ovpn

syn_02.png

syn_01.png

5 answers to this question

After a day of fiddling, it seems to be working and semi-stable. I cannot say why it failed, but I can share the fix. I'll report back in a few days if it remains stable.

First - no amount of messing with the old config would fix it.

I deleted the VPN profile and started over entirely.

Next - in Synology > Network, I created a brand new VPN profile.
I imported the OVPN file from TorGuard without touching it.
I also created a CRT file by copying/pasting the certificate info out of the OVPN file, and included that in the setup.
Entered my login, and after a very long time, it connected.

At one point I needed to disconnect it, and without changing anything, it refused to connect.

I then repeated the above process again, and it's connected. For the moment, not touching anything.