TorGuard

NJ Servers saying I'm located in the UK?

Rate this question

Cytane89

Question

This only started happening recently, with what seems a new batch of IPs from the NJ servers starting with 146.70.xx.xx, where usually I used to see 23.226.xx.xx. When connected to the former batch of IPs my geolocation says I'm in the UK. I had to log into these forums on my phone and received an email saying that someone from the UK location logged into my account and I confirmed with ipleak.net that the geolocation is pointing to the UK as my location. Anyone know what I can do about this?

2 answers to this question

That means at least one of the GeoIp databases has that block of IPs listed as the wrong location.  Getting some of those updated is as easy as an email but some of them (if memory serves) plainly state they don't update/investigate incorrect location data for VPNs.  This was a problem for the 88.xxx. addresses allocated to NYC, where 2 databases showed US and one showed UK.  I just stopped using those IPs in my manual configs. 

You should open a support ticket with the relevant info, especially the email from Torguard showing the wrong location info for the IP and any other screenshots and have them investigate it.  

Curious what the Torguard IP lookup says:  https://torguard.net/whats-my-ip.php

3 hours ago, Kratos said:

That means at least one of the GeoIp databases has that block of IPs listed as the wrong location.  Getting some of those updated is as easy as an email but some of them (if memory serves) plainly state they don't update/investigate incorrect location data for VPNs.  This was a problem for the 88.xxx. addresses allocated to NYC, where 2 databases showed US and one showed UK.  I just stopped using those IPs in my manual configs. 

You should open a support ticket with the relevant info, especially the email from Torguard showing the wrong location info for the IP and any other screenshots and have them investigate it.  

Curious what the Torguard IP lookup says:  https://torguard.net/whats-my-ip.php

Gotcha, thanks I'll do just that. On that TG link the first two Geo services show similar, but not exact locations in NJ, a few towns apart really. It's only on ipleak.net where I check the Geo location and it shows a map of London.