TorGuard

Exclude Apps on the Restricted section of android app

Rate this question

hrv231

Question

Hello,

I decided to exclude one of the apps I'm using on my phone, this one is Nextcloud, and after connecting back with torguard app, the app doesn't seem to connect anymore to my server.

I rebooted the phone and still the app doesn't work.

I feel there is a lot of polishing to do with the android app yet.

3 answers to this question

On 6/14/2021 at 8:11 PM, hrv231 said:

Hello,

I decided to exclude one of the apps I'm using on my phone, this one is Nextcloud, and after connecting back with torguard app, the app doesn't seem to connect anymore to my server.

I rebooted the phone and still the app doesn't work.

I feel there is a lot of polishing to do with the android app yet.

Where is your server located? locally or external?

Server is local and I have the option on the VPN to "Block connections without VPN" enabled.

Of course, if I disable that option, then the mobile app will let this traffic pass-through, but then what's the purpose of using the VPN app?

Because of that, I think the problem is within the android mobile app itself.

On 6/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, hrv231 said:

Server is local and I have the option on the VPN to "Block connections without VPN" enabled.

Of course, if I disable that option, then the mobile app will let this traffic pass-through, but then what's the purpose of using the VPN app?

Because of that, I think the problem is within the android mobile app itself.

I am not sure 100% of what exactly you try/want to achieve/configure and which other dependencies you might additionaly have or even if your android device is a SoC board or a mobile phone etc.., in all cases, I would assume that you would like to have access to your nextcloud from all your devices over the internet, at the same time, you do probably want to use some/different vpn servers (as example from torguard) on all those devices. If for all your devices wireguard client is available, then do following:

1. Create wireguard configs for all your devices with your own ip address range which.

2. You add all peers which you have to each other, with peer I mean your devices.

3. On those devices where you want to use lets say torguard vpn, there you add torguard's peer and for allowed ip's you enter 0.0.0.0, for all other peers in same config, add just their internal vpn addresses which you created in step 1.

What you will have with this setup is:

1. all devices will be always connected to each other and you can access them all over your own vpn addresses.

2. If you have own network, then it is sufficient if only one device uses torguard for outgoing connections, you can use it then for all peers within your network, which saves you the limited max ammount of connected devices to torguard.

3. Communication is encryypted with your own vpn which is the case also if you just connect to free unsecure WiFi, your own vpn connection would be still encrypted as devices are permanently connected to each other. 

4. Any device can use any vpn/proxy etc... for outer connection, or they can use no, or they can even have another vpn like openvpn, you are simply not restricted.

This is quite basic setup overview, but this is rock stable system and works for me since quite long time, even PVR/Sat receivers with kernel 3 can have wireguard making it to quite cool configuration, beside the fact that you actually have then also like in internal network access to all your devices, combined with something like rclone and union drive, it lets you create/use/share your and other cloud storages as that is probably one of purposes for nextcloud. However, I am not encouraging to change working system, but in current case you could beef up on security of your nextcloud by configuring it to only communicate over your own VPN addresses range.