TorGuard

Why does torguard's windows app freeze up when trying to connect?

Rate this question

IAmJonathan

Question

Why does the torguard application on windows freeze for 10 - 15 seconds while connecting to a server? its pretty annoying.

I would of thought the backend workings of the application would be on a different thread then the UI elements.

It only happens with the windows client, iphone and ipad ones work perfectly fine. 

5 answers to this question

On 6/13/2021 at 6:45 PM, IAmJonathan said:

Why does the torguard application on windows freeze for 10 - 15 seconds while connecting to a server? its pretty annoying.

I would of thought the backend workings of the application would be on a different thread then the UI elements.

It only happens with the windows client, iphone and ipad ones work perfectly fine. 

It's difficult to say without further info - it is not a common problem - have you tried contacting support?

On 6/16/2021 at 6:41 PM, Support said:

It's difficult to say without further info - it is not a common problem - have you tried contacting support?

hmm i thought that was just how the client was since everyone i know that uses it has the exact same issue.

On 6/16/2021 at 6:41 PM, Support said:

Here is a video of it 

it froze less then it normally does. Normally it freezes for 20 seconds ish.

would just be nice if it didn't freeze up while connecting 

Hey :) nice background pic isn't that linus? > I would say it's most likely fairly Normal , from watching your video you press connect and then "WHILE" it is trying to connect your moving the window around and it's stuttering a bit because its loading information through the GUI "connecting/Disconnecting" while your spinning the window around in circles. I tried doing what your doing with a few other programs and "some" other programs do the same thing while loading they don't like to be spun around or moved while they are loading i tested with some encoding applications "while" they are encoding because that is when they are under load and they did not like to be moved around and i also tested with a few other vpn's  and 2/3 of the ones i tested did not like to be moved while connecting/disconnecting.

Like when you press connect the VPN does not connect instantly* it takes a few seconds to initialize and update GUI information , i don't think it is really intended to be moved around or spun in circles while it's trying to initialize a connection.  I am not sure if it's a bug it might be just the way it works... considering from my testing many other applications work exactly the same while under load.

I do see what you are saying though and recognize that it does stutter a bit when moved "under load" but considering other programs do it too id say its fairly normal , most people don't move the window around while it's connecting/disconnecting. With the new Torguard Modern GUI the program is not finished connecting till you see the upload/download statistics displayed at the bottom so until those statistics show up the backend has not finished sending data to the GUI to update and display the relevant information. 

Maybe it is something they can fix or maybe it's working the way it is intended to, Maybe @Support will touch on this subject again and see what they say.

Do you happen to have acronis installed? this is a known culprit, a full uninstall of Acronis appears to be the only thing thats worked, we are looking into why. Sometimes wireguard fails to start for whatever reason and the app kills and restarts the process - the next TG build will improve and speedup the connection and disconnect process.

Regards