TorGuard

Split tunneling - when?

Rate this topic

Morphy

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 9:32 AM, Morphy said:

Hi guys.

When will this option be implemented in TG? 

We are working on it now, we have 2 ways of doing so, we are testing both ways - we need to be sure its as secure as possible as we have found leaks in most of those who do offer it.

Regards

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2021 at 3:32 PM, Morphy said:

When will this option be implemented in TG? 

If past performance on implementing features and rectifying issues is an indication, you can expect split tunneling to be implemented at such times as when you switch to another VPN service that offers it. TG takes forever and a day to initiate purposeful changes to their systems. Refer back the expiring WG conf file fiasco. Took forever to resolve. So, don't hold your breath. Hope they can prove me wrong, but I suspect not.

• 1 month later...

Another year has gone by and nothing yet from the TorGuard team on split tunneling. 

So many other VPN clients offer this, what's going on here?!

15 hours ago, Cstaal said:

Another year has gone by and nothing yet from the TorGuard team on split tunneling. 

I Have Tested a few of the other VPN's Which i Will Not Name... that do offer Split Tunneling and Honestly i was Not Impressed. Some of them Do have it but It does Not Properly Work with Most, Issues such as Leaks are Prevalent and Websites Not Loading and Programs Not Working/Updating.

There are only a couple that Offer Working Split Tunneling and Alot! that offer it but it Does Not Work Properly, I think Torguard is Likely Doing Some Serious Testing with it Before they Release it because they don't want to Release it with Leaks/Bugs like others.  Honestly Considering Torguard is a Security Product the Goal is Likely to release it when it's Stable, I notice a lot of other VPN's Released their Split Tunneling in Alpha/Beta! and they expect their Users to Test it and work the bugs out for them Potentially Putting their Customers Privacy/security at Risk.

I actually Respect the Fact Torguard is doing their Best to Work Most the bugs out themselves Before releasing it so that when the Final Product is released it hopefully works A lot smoother than Most of the Competitors. They Posted 4-6 months Ago that things were getting Closer In regards to split tunneling and that they want to work out as many Bugs as possible before they release it, Considering it is a Security Product i think they are making the right Decision as they are putting customers privacy/security First by Trying to Release a Product that hopefully everyone will like. 

I also hope it Gets Released soon but at the same time i am Happy to wait till they think it is Ready, Especially Since it's a Security Product things can not be rushed.

2 hours ago, Cstaal said:

We do have a working alpha but we are working on securing this option and further develop it, again, every split tunnelling feature out there has the possibility to leak and we know why - we are not willing to release such a feature until we can do so securely but we do have some emphasis on doing so as soon as possible.

Regards

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
21 hours ago, Nin said:

Any updates?

Pic below was sent in an email yesterday. Seems to be the latest update.

image.png.a94eb6689cd1af60c12bca5fceb9b6e5.png

On 11/25/2021 at 4:57 AM, uNc said:

Hope they can prove me wrong, but I suspect not.

Sure you can be proven wrong. You maybe should first determine what a definition of split tunneling is and then if you look up at wireguard features then you will quickly recognise that this feature is given. You mix up TorGuard's infrastructure with TorGuard's software client, those two are different shoes, where TorGuard client is meant for those who actually want simply to connect and switch countries easily. Therefore, split tunneling is already available with TorGuard VPN, it is just not part of their client. Best is, that wireguard is not a product from torguard and when you run torguard client you still can set not just simple split tunneling but much more complex networks, there are post up and post down fields in torguard client where you can use your scripts. That means you are wrong and OP in no way mentions TorGuard client, it says TG which I consider as TorGuard company and their infrasctructure. However, in both cases split tunneling is given, it is just not part of the gui and probably it is not a good idea to spend money developing it.

So many people request so many useless features where very usefull features like bonding are not given but easily implemented, nobody mentions it at all since years. There are just few providers offering it which can not be trusted, here once again the best solution is own server, but it is worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2022 at 8:09 PM, Support said:

We do have a working alpha but we are working on securing this option and further develop it, again, every split tunnelling feature out there has the possibility to leak and we know why - we are not willing to release such a feature until we can do so securely but we do have some emphasis on doing so as soon as possible.

Regards

any progress on this?  I gotta be honest, for my use case the cudgeling of torrent traffic in US based servers is incredibly problematic.  This led me to begin researching other options. 

the one thing that could keep me (by creating a middle-ground/compromise) is having access to split tunneling.

whats the latest?

• 1 month later...

Adding my +1 to this feature and to follow it for updates.

I'm no expert, but this would be very useful for those of us that want to use our normal IP for things like hosting games with friends while still using the VPN for Qbittorrent. Do I have that right?

At the moment, seeding for private trackers means turning off Qbittorrent's SOCKS5 proxy, but if I forget to turn SOCKS5 back on, Sonarr will download some TV shows while I'm unprotected. Major problem.

Thanks for looking into this.

On 1/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, Support said:

Regards

You offer split tunnelling on the TG Android app BUT not on TG macOS desktop app. Why is that, is it considered secure or not on Android app?