TorGuard

Best UK ISP for VPN?

Rate this topic

Goldbug

Hi,

So I'm finally fed up with my current ISP and it's unreliability and often strange behaviour with regards to my VPN. I'm also hoping to switch to fibre for a hopefully more reliable, faster connection. I did think some major ISPs would be more inclined to less VPN friendly than others, particularly Sky and BT, who also have subscription sports channels, but apparently not?

So I'm not bothered about amazingly fast speeds, but I am after VPN reliability , and no blocking of VPN connections or addresses. I'd also like fibre, but it's also important for me to use my own router. And I'm also after a "consumer" price point, so I'm probably looking at the "big boys", not business ISPs - I may be able to stretch a little on this, but not a much higher price.

Any recommendations, please!

I'm currently considering:
Sky                         } - apparently you might need to use their own router?
Sky Essentials       }
BT - also state you need to use their router, but can it be got round?
Talk Talk
Plusnet - They were top of my list, but I think I might be ruling them out, as apparently there can be issues with them and VPNs?

I don't think I can get Virgin because I'm not in a cable area?

Any recommendations or other suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Goldbug

No one in the UK want to give an opinion? Are you happy with your ISP's service when using TorGuard? Do they let you use your own router?

Thanks.

On 6/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, Goldbug said:

No one in the UK want to give an opinion? Are you happy with your ISP's service when using TorGuard? Do they let you use your own router?

Thanks.

I'm able to use my own router with Virgin Media - both their Hub 3 & Hub 4 can indeed be set to 'Modem only mode' - but don't expect support to help you if you have trouble getting your own router set up & working. 

if you are forced to use the BT network, Plusnet no longer allow you to set it to modem only mode to use your own router, but you can use a 3rd party cable modem & a 3d party router if you decide to go this route. 

Boopa-dee
On 6/2/2021 at 6:08 PM, Goldbug said:

Thanks.

I have Virgin Media and TorGuard works fine using their HUB3 in modem mode and a Netgear R8500 router.

Have you checked your post code on Virgins website?

ErTnEc

Im with Plusnet, and have been using the VPN service with Torguard since 2016 and never really had any issues.  Also use my own modem/router (Draytek Vigor 130/pfSense running in proxmox), never once used the supplied modem from them.

Goldbug
On 6/4/2021 at 1:31 PM, CSJ said:

I'm able to use my own router with Virgin Media - both their Hub 3 & Hub 4 can indeed be set to 'Modem only mode' - but don't expect support to help you if you have trouble getting your own router set up & working. 

if you are forced to use the BT network, Plusnet no longer allow you to set it to modem only mode to use your own router, but you can use a 3rd party cable modem & a 3d party router if you decide to go this route. 

Yeah, unfortunately I've checked, and I'm stuck on the BT network, but at least I can get fibre.

Well, I do have a cable router handy, with DD-WRT on. But I think you're telling me I also need a cable modem as well. I don't really have much knowledge of those.

Thanks!

Goldbug
On 6/4/2021 at 5:54 PM, Boopa-dee said:

I have Virgin Media and TorGuard works fine using their HUB3 in modem mode and a Netgear R8500 router.

Have you checked your post code on Virgins website?

Sadly, not available to me.

Thanks.

Goldbug
17 hours ago, ErTnEc said:

Im with Plusnet, and have been using the VPN service with Torguard since 2016 and never really had any issues.  Also use my own modem/router (Draytek Vigor 130/pfSense running in proxmox), never once used the supplied modem from them.

That's good to know. Well, I ruled out Plus.net, because I found a great big thread of users on their forum complaining about VPN issues. Apparently something about plus.net and a certain IP range that was causing some sort of problem because of it's history, and they're not keen to provide any support when it comes to VPN to fix any issues. Typically, I can't remember exactly what I searched for that allowed me to find the thread (unless they've changed their search algorithm), so I can't highlight it.

I'm very tempted to reconsider, but it's those 18 month contracts and buying yourself out if things don't work out.

Thanks!