Jump to content
TorGuard

Wireguard CLI Linux

Rate this topic


Torguard VPN User 1337
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Am I right that Torguard is still not much use for using wireguard on Linux CLI as the connection configuration keeps expiring if you turn off or disconnect for any significant time?

if this has been fixed please let me know the Linux guide to follow

if this hasn't been fixed is it going to be fixed anytime soon?

Thanks

Phil

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Torguard VPN User 1337 said:

Am I right that Torguard is still not much use for using wireguard on Linux CLI as the connection configuration keeps expiring if you turn off or disconnect for any significant time?

No, you are totaly wrong.

15 hours ago, Torguard VPN User 1337 said:

if this hasn't been fixed is it going to be fixed anytime soon?

There is nothing to fix if nothing was broken

15 hours ago, Torguard VPN User 1337 said:

if this has been fixed please let me know the Linux guide to follow

Probably best source (for wireguard) would be wireguard itself, quick start is here: https://www.wireguard.com/quickstart/

For the explanation about api, this is outdated but valid, outdated in form that expiration is set to 24 hours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regardless of the comment above. If you use the wireguard app, you continually have to re-download a new config file as the Torguard configs seem to expire when you shut them off for a period of time. Which basically makes TG's implementation of Wireguard USELESS for those of us who don't want to use the TG app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 5:47 AM, Myriad said:

Regardless of the comment above. If you use the wireguard app, you continually have to re-download a new config file as the Torguard configs seem to expire when you shut them off for a period of time. Which basically makes TG's implementation of Wireguard USELESS for those of us who don't want to use the TG app.

That is not true for app users. I've been running the Tor Guard app, on Arch Linux, on the LTS Kernel on one device and the latest kernel on another, and I only use wireguard through the app, things work great, through multiple reboots, shut downs, and long periods of afk / high data transfer / bitcoin mining. The app is light weight I'd suggest running it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sav3d said:

That is not true for app users. I've been running the Tor Guard app, on Arch Linux, on the LTS Kernel on one device and the latest kernel on another, and I only use wireguard through the app, things work great, through multiple reboots, shut downs, and long periods of afk / high data transfer / bitcoin mining. The app is light weight I'd suggest running it!

Glad that you do not let other fool you ;). TorGuard client does call api each time it connects, it used (maybe still uses, just debug and see) a new key for each reconnect, which is very good if one keeps in mind that no log policy still . For those who want to use original wireguard client, they need a config for that, even without a config it is possible with script. If you connect and stay connected, your config will not expire. If your config expires, then your internal IP which is set in your config is not valid anymore, this is not the case for servers where port forwarding is set, there internal IP stays the same.

If not port forwarding/dedicated ip, then you will have to reactivate your public key and in response you will see new ip address for your interface, meaning that even if one uses it on mobile device, you still can open your api link over any device, it does not have to be the one which you want to connect to torguard.

Wireguard is connectionless protocol, meaning that it will not need a to be restarted or reconnected even if you switch network on the fly, that is something I see as a big advantage compared to other protocols.

For bitcoin mining, I guess you mean crypto wallets/cryptoservices in general, everything works and for everything where you need a port forward, you can get it. You can run a mining pool on a TorGuards 10Gbit servers too, I agree with you, TorGuard offers since many years excellent services.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 months later...

Hello folks,

I'm completely new to Wireguard - Just got my Torguard purchase, honestly I hoped finding a nice guide for Linux (Ubuntu) cli in the knowledge base

Unfortunately there isn't 🙂

Could anybody help me start a little. I already checked the Wireguard website and the introduction about the protocol and installed wireguard in the destination machine.

But now... I don't even find a way getting / generating credentials lol

If somebody could help a little that would be really appreciated.

Sincerely!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@drnoetigenfalls hello, here is documentation for wireguard quick start where it is quite clearly explained as well as how you create new private key.

# create private key: wg genkey
# create public key: wg pubkey
# create psk: wg genpsk
privkey=$(wg genkey)
pubkey=$(echo $privkey | wg pubkey)
psk=$(wg genpsk)

echo "Your private key: $private"
echo "Your public key: $public"
echo "Your psk: $psk"

More quicker is the way explained on wireguard, one liner:

wg genkey | tee privatekey | wg pubkey > publickey

 

Save your public and private keys, login to your account on torguard and go to "Config generator" where you choose wireguard, server and paste your public key and username, click create config and it will be downloaded. That config might need some editing, you have torguards server as peer and your interface. That's all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...