Jump to content
TorGuard
  • 1

New Design Concept Mac OS - Suggestions?

Rate this question


Support

Question

Support

Hello everyone.

We are working on a new design concept for the mac OS app, please see the image attached, let us know what you think, your suggestions are welcome.

And yes this will also come to windows and Linux :)

 

 

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.05.40.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.05.53.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.06.01.png

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
Support

Thanks for the suggestions guys, after we have done a few things, here's a small idea of our focus on this app:

- Sort locations by ping

- Allow access to the settings while connected. (as per above)

- Split tunnelling. (we are close)

- Ability to create hotspots

- Change location on the fly

- Change IP every x amount of time

Anything else? 

Regards

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Boopa-dee

Nice! although I think it would look better if the flags were on full display like in the classic client rather than cut off in circles.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Support
2 hours ago, Boopa-dee said:

Nice! although I think it would look better if the flags were on full display like in the classic client rather than cut off in circles.

 

Will take note of that - thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
TorGuard

I dig it, would need a compact option for people who want a slimed down interface without the world map.

 

Few suggestions:

- Implement ping next to each location in list with sorting.

- Allow access to the settings while connected. This has always bothered me since I signed up years ago, you could put a disclaimer that changed settings won't go in effect until you reconnect.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
SalisburySam

I really like the proposed view, and I agree that a full rectangular flag would be nicer than the cutoff circles.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It would be nice if you could share the vpn connection. On a PC I can hook up on wireless and share the vpn over ethernet, having this feature for the mac would be great.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19807409
14 hours ago, VPP said:

It would be nice if you could share the vpn connection. On a PC I can hook up on wireless and share the vpn over ethernet, having this feature for the mac would be great.

I guess official reply to that formulation would be that you can do it anyway, this is why torguard allows usage of third party clients for different protocols as torguard gui (which is torguard client) can not have full functionality of all protocols in one. I agree with your suggestion in form that it would be good if one could share and managed peers for wireguard. You can do it now with any device because you can do it with wireguard directly. I tried to explain in more details and assume that this is exactly what you would like to have control about in TorGuard client: 

 

 

This indeed would kinda give everybody possibility to have own networks where all devices are always connected in a secure way, regardless if over internet or vpn. All my devices are permanently connected since many months, there was never an issue.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GoobleChrome

My issue is not with the design but with the bugginess of the macOS app. It's unusable for me because of how slow and inconsistent it is (the UI, not the network speeds). I use the iOS app on my M1 Mac and generate a new wireguard config each time (such a pain) on my other mac.

It's amazing how much better the iOS app is then the macOS app and I'd really like to see something of that caliber brought to macOS for my intel mac.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
ghostdestroyer
11 hours ago, GoobleChrome said:

My issue is not with the design but with the bugginess of the macOS app. It's unusable for me because of how slow and inconsistent it is (the UI, not the network speeds). I use the iOS app on my M1 Mac and generate a new wireguard config each time (such a pain) on my other mac.

It's amazing how much better the iOS app is then the macOS app and I'd really like to see something of that caliber brought to macO my S for my intel mac.

Hi GoobleChrome ,

I also have ios and macOS with 2014 MBP and the newest Big Sur . The ios app works well for the most part on my ipad and like the UI . On the macOS for the most part it works alright but is slow with a spinning wheel ( About 4 second delay) upon changing server and when shutting down .

I take it you're using the standalone Wireguard app that I really haven't tried ?  I believe they are trying to replicate the UI of the ios for the intel macOS and the world map might be cool . But yes I agree .

How do you like the M1 chip ?  I love the fanless Macbook air and would like  all computers to be fanless ! and the new ipad Pro with the M1 chip !

I think we are going to see a very nice upgrade coming hopefully soon for the TG client !

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
GoobleChrome
3 hours ago, ghostdestroyer said:

Hi GoobleChrome ,

I also have ios and macOS with 2014 MBP and the newest Big Sur . The ios app works well for the most part on my ipad and like the UI . On the macOS for the most part it works alright but is slow with a spinning wheel ( About 4 second delay) upon changing server and when shutting down .

I take it you're using the standalone Wireguard app that I really haven't tried ?  I believe they are trying to replicate the UI of the ios for the intel macOS and the world map might be cool . But yes I agree .

How do you like the M1 chip ?  I love the fanless Macbook air and would like  all computers to be fanless ! and the new ipad Pro with the M1 chip !

I think we are going to see a very nice upgrade coming hopefully soon for the TG client !

 

Hi,

I have a similar issue with the spinning wheel but also issues when I try to hide the app and it becomes unresponsive and requires me to force quit. In general the macOS app works for the first time connection but becomes a pain after that.

 

Compared to the standalone WireGuard app (you are correct that I was referring to this app) which “just works” without glitches or a spinning wheel. It’s not the most aesthetically pleasing but I don’t really care since it does it’s job. That being said I do prefer the iOS design for sure, it’s just a much lower priority for me personally over function.

 

As for the m1 MacBook Air that I own, it’s great! It has awesome battery life and excellent performance (compared to the old laptops). I still have a desktop i9 for my really intensive tasks but the m1 can do almost everything I need. When I say really intensive I mean several virtual machines running, plus several docker containers, Plex media server, etc all at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19807409

@GoobleChromeand @ghostdestroyer, can you enable debugging in the app then check if you can find any line with error, warning etc.., best scroll down to last line and check why it crashes. If you do not have time or will to inspect it, then just send it to support and they will look at it, because if something happens it might appear in debug.log

About M1, let's indeed compare and benchmark with other cheap arm SoC boards rpi, rock and other boards how big is the difference, interesting that apple goes for arm.

For benchmarking, phoronix test suite is available for all platforms: https://www.phoronix-test-suite.com/

Then do desired benchmarks: https://openbenchmarking.org/

As I write about openbenchmarking, there is wireguard benchmarks test too: https://openbenchmarking.org/test/system/wireguard

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
ghostdestroyer
On 5/16/2021 at 6:34 AM, Support said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, after we have done a few things, here's a small idea of our focus on this app:

- Sort locations by ping

- Allow access to the settings while connected. (as per above)

- Split tunnelling. (we are close)

- Ability to create hotspots

- Change location on the fly

- Change IP every x amount of time

Anything else? 

Regards

I've an idea !

It would be nice to have the app notify you of an impending update or even better a link to it !!!

Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/9/2021 at 3:06 PM, Support said:

Hello everyone.

We are working on a new design concept for the mac OS app, please see the image attached, let us know what you think, your suggestions are welcome.

And yes this will also come to windows and Linux :)

 

 

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.05.40.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.05.53.png

Screenshot 2021-05-09 at 15.06.01.png

I hope this includes the same tray icon as the 'staff' users icon who posted this. 

 

it all looks fantastic, I'm glad the macOS is getting some work as I honestly hate the current app (whereas the mobile app is great) 

 

1. macOS designed tray icon

2. Can you fix it to tray icon app use like your competition does? (dropdown from the tray icon) - but still include the FULL UI shown above if needed/wanted

3. ability to change server without disconnecting 

4. settings absolutely need to be accessible whilst connected

5. whitelist/split tunnelling 

 

I think those are the basics that most of us seem to all want in an updated macOS app,  I also think 'Submit a ticket' should also be integrated into the app too. :)

 

> streaming IP's seem to only work on 1 device at 1 time, this is annoying when I want to use my 12 device quota, but nobody else can basically stream anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
ghostdestroyer

Not to sound unappreciative , but after almost a month I would have thought we would at least see a Beta for this grand update of the TG Client .

Throw us a bone please !!!!!!🐕

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Dom1no
47 minutes ago, ghostdestroyer said:

Not to sound unappreciative , but after almost a month I would have thought we would at least see a Beta for this grand update of the TG Client .

Throw us a bone please !!!!!!🐕


Your best bet would be to talk to support through the ticket system because last time i asked to try the Beta They sent me a Download link Right away. They do not check the forums very often i think the forums are more community based so if you want a beta or need support your best option would be tickets. I don't understand why they don't reply more often on the forums but clearly they don't so the best bet would be Tickets.

I can understand why they don't publicly post a link to the Beta because last time everyone freaked out about it being buggy or issues or whatever so after the reaction people gave them i can understand like it's a beta it's not perfect yet but some people expect Beta to be perfect and then when it isn't they fly off the handlebars so maybe that's why one isn't posted yet but they might send you a link if you politely ask for it through ticket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • -1
ghostdestroyer
22 hours ago, Dom1no said:


Your best bet would be to talk to support through the ticket system because last time i asked to try the Beta They sent me a Download link Right away. They do not check the forums very often i think the forums are more community based so if you want a beta or need support your best option would be tickets. I don't understand why they don't reply more often on the forums but clearly they don't so the best bet would be Tickets.

I can understand why they don't publicly post a link to the Beta because last time everyone freaked out about it being buggy or issues or whatever so after the reaction people gave them i can understand like it's a beta it's not perfect yet but some people expect Beta to be perfect and then when it isn't they fly off the handlebars so maybe that's why one isn't posted yet but they might send you a link if you politely ask for it through ticket.

Yes Domino I am very aware of Betas and the fact they are pre release as being a 65yr old and been using computers since around 1995 . I only would use a beta if it has been released . Unreleased Betas probably would harbor more bugs .

Even though they don't respond to these posts ( very often ) I think they do see them .

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...