TorGuard

how enable kill switch for utorreent

Rate this question

guywire

Question

guywire

hello. I want to be sure I have an operating kill switch that will kill utorent if I lose connection to  the torguard server. what do I do?

5 answers to this question

Support
23 hours ago, guywire said:

hello. I want to be sure I have an operating kill switch that will kill utorent if I lose connection to  the torguard server. what do I do?

Hello,

Be sure that the kill switch option under Settings --> Network is enabled, it is located directly under the seamless reconnect option.

Regards

THanks for reply. I am using wireguard on a win10 computer. I  do not see  anything about kill switch under "seamless reconnect."

I have

been able to get to the kill switch  page where you select what app to kill upon disconnect to the torguard server. .

utorrent is not on the provided list.

I wrote in utorrent.exe and tried to select that  app to be killed. the select app option button was greyed out. did not seem to work.

Now, when starting up torguard, I can see the list  of options  including  seamless reconnect. but "kill switch" is not  under that .

This kill switch is a very big deal to me. please help.

Lex

Simply set torguard-wg as your interface, I do not remember that in utorrent one could select the interface (long time ago when I used it for the last time), but other torrent clients like qtorrent and some other have ability to specify interface which is used.

49 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Simply set torguard-wg as your interface, I do not remember that in utorrent one could select the interface (long time ago when I used it for the last time), but other torrent clients like qtorrent and some other have ability to specify interface which is used.

image.png.17e7ae8cd403c1839406f58725d78215.png

Yup, I switched from UTorrent to QBittorent for this reason. Couldn't find an easy way through UTorrent, but it's directly built into the menus of QBittorrent, so by switching the interface to wg-torguard, the torrent software simply refuses to connect and start downloading unless you are actively connected to the VPN, and likewise it immediately stops transfer if it detects downtime on the VPN.

• Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, Cytane89 said:

image.png.17e7ae8cd403c1839406f58725d78215.png

Yup, I switched from UTorrent to QBittorent for this reason. Couldn't find an easy way through UTorrent, but it's directly built into the menus of QBittorrent, so by switching the interface to wg-torguard, the torrent software simply refuses to connect and start downloading unless you are actively connected to the VPN, and likewise it immediately stops transfer if it detects downtime on the VPN.

Thanks for the screenshot, where it clearly is visible that you bind it to all addresses which could be suboptimal, it is always best to define static values just to exclude possible leaks, however, specifying the interface should be enough, like you said, if vpn is not connected, to be exact, if torguard-wg interface is not existing or not connected, then torrent client will not be able to connect. If one uses TorGuard client and switches as example to openvpn from wireguard, then there would be no torguard-wg interface.

For windows and mac this is availble which worked very well with torguard when I tested it many years ago, it does what it should on windows. However, it is just a proxy. Best is moving away from outdated utorrent to modern clients which are still developed and offer all options.

• Like 1