TorGuard

VPN speed significantly lower than before.

Rate this question

Disease
Go to solution Solved by balexter,

Question

Disease

Hello!

I haven't really downloaded anything with VPN for the past month so I cant say when this started. But when I started downloading yesterday I noticed the speed is way lower than usual. My dl speed is 200Mbps and the lowest I got with VPN ON when I was testing like a year ago was 50Mbps. Now I the highest i got it was 20Mbps. Is this normal now?

edit: The only thing I changed in the last month is I upgraded the program. Did maybe that do something?

10 answers to this question

• Solution
balexter

I experience exactly the same. 

I think it started last week, could be the week before that.

Usually I do a speedtest before I start a session on my PC (kind became a habit).

Today I noticed (after a hiatus of a handful of days or so) a difference in speed of 50%.

In the past I always as good as maxed out my line (300 Mbit) when using TG.

Now I am down to 150 - 160 Mbit. I know, still high, but there is definitely a change.

Latency is the same as before, though.

So dear TG-crew. Could you please undo what was changed the last couple of days? That would be awesome!

Thanks and regards

Disease
43 minutes ago, balexter said:

In the past I always as good as maxed out my line (300 Mbit) when using TG.

Damn how  do you max out your line? My speed was usually 50% slower than my normal speed. 

balexter

For me it was "just" a question of hardware.

I used to use my 4/5 year old gaming notebook for everything, including vpn encryption.

No matter what I tried, no matter what protocol i used, no matter the settings in TG client, I was "stuck" on 160 - 180 Mbit on a 300Mbit line.

Since I built my new PC I got a maxed out line with wireguard, never tried out other protocols after that.

That is till today. I noticed internet was slower and checked all available protocols --> everything slowed down to 160Mbit.

MisterPerson

I just wanted to chime in on this. I just signed up and I setup a Wireguard tunnel on a Linksys WRT3200 router running DD-WRT. It only took like 20 minutes to setup and I am getting upwards of 750mbps on a "800 mbps line". Of coarse, if I plug directly into the modem without VPN, I get 950. So its basically a gigabit connection. My point is simply that it is definitely the hardware. The WRT3200 is dual core 1.8 Ghz. With openVPN it only gets up to about 80mbps.

balexter

Hey disease,

I have to take back what I said about lower speed.

My ISP fucked uip and delivered less than I signed up for.

Everything is back to normal now. Line is maxed out at 300Mbit. Good job TG!

Disease
1 hour ago, balexter said:

Hey disease,

I have to take back what I said about lower speed

Yes me too. I wasn't using wireguard before you told me. The speed is insane now. Ty.

balexter
1 hour ago, Disease said:

Yes me too. I wasn't using wireguard before you told me. The speed is insane now. Ty.

Nice all worked out for you! Wireguard is great! Way slimmer and less overhead. Great speeds.
I wish I could use wireguard easily on my 86U with merlin firmware to get fast transcontinental speeds. 

if you test with speedtest.net, then try to find a server close to you which gives also proper speed, speedtest.net is not really reliable for that. And if you test network performance, use better iperf, there are not that many servers but those few are enough, especially if one uses wireguard, here intercontinental restrictions seem to be gone too, even on lte with 150Mbits I get around 130 with US server, ping is 104ms, but that would be it.

I did not experience any issues with European and US server, neither shared nor 10Gbit, all perform as they should for me.

Even if you are in US, those two servers should be sufficient, both are 10Gbit, a German one reaches max. 10 for me with a 20Gbit connection where one in Netherlands delivers constantly around 14, if you have over 10Gbit then take worldnet server, if not, then it does not matter:

Germany - https://speedtest.wtnet.de/index_en.html

# if port is busy, you can use any from 5201-5209

# test your upload
iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4

# test your download (-R reverse mode)
iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4 -R

# for ipv6, use -6 instead of -4

Netherlands - https://kb.worldstream.com/?p=152

# test your upload
iperf3 -c iperf.worldstream.nl -t 60 -P 8 -i 0

iperf3 -c iperf.worldstream.nl -t 60 -P 8 -i 0 -R

There are more iperf servers online, just check its connection and the closer to you the better.

3 hours ago, balexter said:

Everything is back to normal now. Line is maxed out at 300Mbit. Good job TG!

In that case rpi4 with >=1GB DDR4 would max out your connection of 300Mbit for much less $, rock pi4 is slightly more expensive and gets to 500Mbit, if you are looking for a router, then you probably should take a lot at one which reaches quite the max which you need for quite affordable price (but still much more expensive than rpi and has less performance), then GL.iNet GL-MV1000 is even listed as 280Mbits with wireguard. Even rpi3 would perform quite well if it would not have 100Mbit interface, but if your provider offers your under 100Mbit then rpi3 is probably one of the cheapest together with GLiNet routers.

Most modern desktop pc's or notebooks few years old with a GB connection would would get quite a good results too, but if you compare their power consumption and heating to those cheap small 5V/12V boards, then its mostly not worth it.

balexter
21 hours ago, 19807409 said:

if you test with speedtest.net, then try to find a server close to you which gives also proper speed, speedtest.net is not really reliable for that. And if you test network performance, use better iperf, there are not that many servers but those few are enough, especially if one uses wireguard, here intercontinental restrictions seem to be gone too, even on lte with 150Mbits I get around 130 with US server, ping is 104ms, but that would be it.

I did not experience any issues with European and US server, neither shared nor 10Gbit, all perform as they should for me.

Even if you are in US, those two servers should be sufficient, both are 10Gbit, a German one reaches max. 10 for me with a 20Gbit connection where one in Netherlands delivers constantly around 14, if you have over 10Gbit then take worldnet server, if not, then it does not matter:

Germany - https://speedtest.wtnet.de/index_en.html

# if port is busy, you can use any from 5201-5209

# test your upload
iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4

iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4 -R

# for ipv6, use -6 instead of -4

Netherlands - https://kb.worldstream.com/?p=152

# test your upload
iperf3 -c iperf.worldstream.nl -t 60 -P 8 -i 0

iperf3 -c iperf.worldstream.nl -t 60 -P 8 -i 0 -R

There are more iperf servers online, just check its connection and the closer to you the better.

In that case rpi4 with >=1GB DDR4 would max out your connection of 300Mbit for much less $, rock pi4 is slightly more expensive and gets to 500Mbit, if you are looking for a router, then you probably should take a lot at one which reaches quite the max which you need for quite affordable price (but still much more expensive than rpi and has less performance), then GL.iNet GL-MV1000 is even listed as 280Mbits with wireguard. Even rpi3 would perform quite well if it would not have 100Mbit interface, but if your provider offers your under 100Mbit then rpi3 is probably one of the cheapest together with GLiNet routers.

Most modern desktop pc's or notebooks few years old with a GB connection would would get quite a good results too, but if you compare their power consumption and heating to those cheap small 5V/12V boards, then its mostly not worth it.

Hey 19807409!

Thanks for your insight on this matter! I appreciate your work and input on these forums, indeed I read a lot your comments concerning other/different topics and learned a lot.

Especially I wanted to say thank you for your input on a month old question of me regarding getting to run wireguard on a 86U with merlin firmware (didn't manage it till today).
Concerning raspberry pie: sadly that info is too late for me. But if I ever need a new router I have your suggestion in mind and look up rpi4.
Could you please enlighten me on intercontinental restrictions? After being able to max out my line locally my main concern is to get a fast (in terms of bandwidth) connection from the US to Germany. We mainly use that to access US libraries of streaming services since we are pretty anglophil. Latency is not the issue here, but bandwidth sometimes makes it impossible to view content in 4k. I hoped to utilize wireguard on my 86U to achieve that without having to spend money on new hardware.

Regards (plus a bow to your efforts here)

edit: wait a moment! You are hooked up to a 20Gbit line? How? Where? I want that too!!!!!!!!

No wonder not-premium servers having good stats! TG upgraded a lot of standard servers to 10Gbit recently...

6 hours ago, balexter said:

Hey 19807409!

Thanks for your insight on this matter! I appreciate your work and input on these forums, indeed I read a lot your comments concerning other/different topics and learned a lot.

Especially I wanted to say thank you for your input on a month old question of me regarding getting to run wireguard on a 86U with merlin firmware (didn't manage it till today).

hello @balexter and thanks for kind words, I appreciate it.

Concerning raspberry pie: sadly that info is too late for me. But if I ever need a new router I have your suggestion in mind and look up rpi4.

I remember that you already had your router when I wrote a guide about rock and wireguard, I guess it happened after you bought your router which is also a monster of a router.

I am actually using rock pi4's for my gateway, which are actually devices from RADXA and should be quite the same as rpi4 with aditional ability to have m2 disks (which made the difference for my choice, as I/O from M2 can not be compared to one of SD card in rpi4).

Most are confused that they would like their router to be everything, SoC boards are actually meant to overtake some/few tasks and here for end consumer such SoC boards like rpi4 are much more than they need. Gateway for VPN is great usage for such SoC board. I do use only PoE switches and by that I buy only SoC boards which can be powered over LAN, by price it is about the same, PoE+ hut for rpi4 costs few $ more than USB cable and charger. Here you get second difference to Rock, rock hut supports PoE+ and you get more power than on rpi4, however, on both it is more than enough to power spinning hard disks on all ports.

But if you want a router, then Gli is quite a good choice, my suggested is without wlan and is as you see with 280Mbits not the best choice, considering that prices also went up (and probably will go up due to worldwide chip shortage) means that it is even more rentable to buy SoC board (at least until their prices go up too).

Why I suggest rpi4 is not because I do believe it is the best device but because it is available for everybody in every country and that for quite a good price. Even a newbie is capable of setting it up, with rock it was kinda luck that I am dev as there almost nothing worked out-of-the box few years ago, for a newbie it would be pain in the ass to install everything. That is another reason why I suggest raspberry pi for users who are not familiar with linux in general.

All of what I wrote is more or less for students and people who do not have or do not want to spend additional budget, of course an AMD Ryzen 7 or some latest i7 would perform outstanding, they can reach easily over 1Gbit with wireguard, however, here you would have a restriction of your gigabit interface where there are not really many people around the world having 1Gbit connection. If you got one, then you will not be satisfied with rpi or similar boards as they can not reach that speed, but you can buy any mini pc with i-series or amd for under $ 400 which will easily 1Gb with wireguard.

In my country where I live, over 90% do have ISP's providing them less than 100Mbit, especially those on mobile connections. For all of them even rpi3 which costs probably around $ 20 would do the trick, but in real, rpi4 is not really much more expensive if one has such slow connection. In general, if you have 500Mbit or slower connection, you can always go for some latest cheap SoC board which is quite a lot cheaper than any router with similar hardware. For faster connections you need better hardware.

Could you please enlighten me on intercontinental restrictions?

A lot depends of how your ISP is connected. Continents and countries are connected in complex networks, but those connection points were in past big bottlenecks. As example, when you open a homepage from Europe which is in US, then your connection goes over several points to UK from where it goes to US. For quite a long time, you could not get more than 10-20 Mbit.

When you connect to lets say TorGuard's server close to you, which lets say is in 10Gbit network and is connected way better to the net than your ISP, then you might get around those bottlenecks. Here you can check submarine cable map https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

TorGuard's servers are well connected and when I connect from a server in Asia, Eu or even Africa, then everything performs well which keeps me knowing that TorGuard's infrastructure (or the one they use) is well connected.

The restriction of 10-20 Mbit which I spoke about is probably for quite some time higher as in last few years some investments and preparations for 5G were done, I did not follow the news on that in last few years but if you look up and do some investigation you will find many articles about it.

7 hours ago, balexter said:

After being able to max out my line locally my main concern is to get a fast (in terms of bandwidth) connection from the US to Germany.

You can be sure that TorGuards network is very well connected to EU. I tested lately 10Gbit server from Houston with a 10Gbit server in Frankfurt and I got 9Gbit which is quite good.

Vultr offers you 10Gbit connected servers in germany and in US in case that TorGuard fails for you, those can connect to each other with 9Gbit without any issues, that is for Texas. If you are close on the east coast then it is even better.

We mainly use that to access US libraries of streaming services since we are pretty anglophil. Latency is not the issue here, but bandwidth sometimes makes it impossible to view content in 4k.

TorGuard normal shared servers are enough, TorGuard offers also streaming IP in germany and in US for the case you want to use some geo restricted services (like streming, banking, gaming, betting, ....). I tested LTE in germany, having 150Mbit down and 30up from my ISP and got over 10 Gbit server in Atlanta 137Mbit down and 30Up, where ping was 136ms. Same phone, same location but german server closer than 50km to me and I got 142Mbit down, 30up and ping was 11ms. This is what I meant that intercontinental restrictions seem to be gone too as the speed is the same except the latency.

You can make such measure for modern content:

non HD content => 5-10Mbit is enough

HD content => 15-20Mbit and stream plays without breaking

UltraHD => ~50Mbit, with 75 can be sure to get it without breaking.

By that you have more than enough for several people to watch at the same time 4k streams.

edit: wait a moment! You are hooked up to a 20Gbit line? How? Where? I want that too!!!!!!!!

Actually it is 40Gbit (20Gbit down, 20Gbit up), that is required for a company, as a private person you never need such speed at home (but I would mind too if cheap :) ). We had to put fiber for around 500 Meter and all that fun costed the company slightly over 1 Mio, for the connection itself we paid less than before for vdsl or similar. If you live in germany, there is a law which gives you right to demand fiber to be put into your house and the city has to pay for it, sadly not all countries in EU jumped on such modernisation, as example their neighbour Austria decided to invest into 5G instead of using extending cable infrastructure and there is no such law. For US, I am not sure, it all depends from where you live, different laws in all states I gues.

If you have fiber up to your house, then you only need to find ISP who will actually provide you connection/bandwidth, as there are no such products for private person, you have to write to those companies and you will get for sure somebody offering you attractive price, by that, it is not impossible :) for you to get 10/20/40 Gbit (considered your city is connected at those speeds to next connection point). But honestly, it is too expensive and most servers in this world do not have 10Gbit connections meaning that you will never use your full speed. In companies where you have 1000s users, 40Gbit is not much, 40Mbit per user if they all download at once

No wonder not-premium servers having good stats! TG upgraded a lot of standard servers to 10Gbit recently...

Well, it all depends still on how much your ISP gives you ;) . I do not know if TG upgraded all servers, but in general there is tendency for upgrade, also vultr upgraded lately their hardware and offers servers with 10Gbit connection for cheap. Vultr is not the only who does it. However, around mid 2016, I tested with that 20Gbit TorGuard's shared servers to see what they give and they all straight away gave at least 700 (like those 2000km far away), some close server went up to 1,4Gbit, once again, this was in 2016. I might test shared servers again on those high speed networks in few days and will report about it if you are interested.

As you can see, shared servers are very good too and 10Gbit network is really required just if you have speed over 1Gbit (Example: you rent a server with 10Gbit connection and want to use 10Gbit Premium network from TorGuard, this makes sense, but not using 10Gbit with some LTE of 100Mbit). And here :) it is the best, TorGuards 10Gbit servers give outstanding performance.

This got now again very long, I should have compressed it more, sorry for the overflow on thoughs :)