TorGuard

Problems with latest version of Torguard 4.6

Rate this question

linux.user

Question

Hello. 

This current version (4.6) and the previous version (4.5.X) have been unusable for myself. 

Version 4.4.1 was usable. I was able to stop, change cipher, protocol if wanted, change server, and change anything else I wished before restarting Torguard. 

With the previous version (4.5.x) and this version (4.6.X), I always get a cipher warning. I attempt to correct things immediately prior to reconnecting Torguard after changing some minor thing regarding for the cipher warning. 

Problem: The app does not restart. No matter how many times, I select to "Connect" it does not connect. 

1. Have managed several times to stop, close out the app, and then restart the app (after username input) to restart it. It fails to restart every single time. 
  2. I have also selected to start the app via the Settings>Auto connect Torguard at start (after having it close out as previously stated) so as to give it another opportunity to start. This fails as well. 
  3. Have uninstalled via dpkg (with purge option to remove config files)
  4. The above option allows me to then reinstalled the app cleanly. This also fails to properly start the app because the cipher warning comes up again. App does not allow me to start after selecting "OK"  to change cipher (and even tunnel type, protocol,  and server if wanted).
  5. Have also attempted to change both cipher, tunnel type, protocol and server. Close out the app to tray, and restart it to no avail with the app not connecting to new cipher and/or server, and/or tunnel type and/or protocol. 
  6. Have also tried to start the app from the tray. This also fails as the tray icon is grey. Suggesting that the app is not starting and connecting.
  7. Have the exact same problem as described above on Fedora.
  8. I am not using the new QML gui because it takes up an enormous amount of screen real estate (as per poor experience when other version (4.5.x) was distributed. Just regular GUI. 
  9. Have also attempted to clean cache and refresh cache from within the app with the hope that the app would then normally restart. This also fails. 

Question. Where is it possible to download versions such as version 4.4.X as this version (and even prior ones) seemed to have worked with none of the above problems noted.

None at all.

Please show me where I can download older versions as I cannot seem to find older versions for Linux (only for Wind0ze seems to be available on the net). 

Thanks very much in advance for your answer.

Second Question: If you have a viable answer to the above problems I am encountering then I look forward to your hoped-for solution.

3 answers to this question

Hi Ashutosh. Thanks very much for your response back. 

I did delete the 2 config files as stated on Mint. Seems to be working properly as of this writing. I am of the belief that the existing .config files were interfering with the proper start up of the app. This is something that should not be done by the user, rather by the app itself. The app itself should be relegating this task so as to avoid having to remove all config files after purging and removing the app from off one's system and hence have the user deal with issues such as these.

• Also, I do believe that I already am a member of the torguard group. Still this is good information to know regardless. So thanks again! Regardless for the app to not function on your end (or anyone's else's) without you having to add your username to the correct group is something that the app itself should be looking after not the user. Something that development should be looking into. 
  • And yes, the dns-manager-preference is set as you mentioned. 
  • I am actually now able to stop, restart, and select either a new server, protocol, and cipher with out having to exit out of the app. This is now normal application behavior and as should be.

thanks again!

I have faced some issues with TorGuard on Fedora in the past. Here are some things that you can try:

• Make sure that your user is added to "torguard" group. I had to manually create the group and add my user to it after each update prior to the current version. Otherwise, the app will not run at the startup.
  • Config files are not removed if you uninstalll the client (at least not on Fedora), so try to delete the config files manually:
    • App config: ~/.config/VPNetworkLLC/TorGuard.conf (rename this one instead)
    • Server configs: ~/.local/share/VPNetworkLLC/TorGuard/configs
  • If renaming "~/.config/VPNetworkLLC/TorGuard.conf" fixes the problem, try to change "dns-manager-preference" to "linux_system_d" — I had to do it on Fedora 33, don't remember the exact version now, but without changing the DNS Manager to systemd the app was just freezing, and I was unable to use the internet (killswitch was enabled) without rebooting.

I have a feeling that changing the DNS Manager should fix it for you, so maybe try that first?

Hope it helps.

• Thanks 1

On 4/28/2021 at 7:29 AM, linux.user said:

I am of the belief that the existing .config files were interfering with the proper start up of the app. This is something that should not be done by the user, rather by the app itself.

I think they need a way to check config files for conflicting settings or have a better exception handling for such cases? A lot of apps actually store config files in the "~/.config" directory to remember user preference and other goodies, so overall it makes sense to keep config files even after uninstalling the client. But they should at least tell users to delete the config files if we reach out to them. When I approached them, I was told to do a bunch of things like provide logs (which was not possible since I had not enabled logging and the app was not working at all), then they told me to reinstall the app multiple times, kill wireguard process, stop dnscrypt-proxy and dnsmasq services, reboot multiple times but was not told to try and delete configuration file. I actually did most of the investigation on my own and I even reported back my findings as soon as I had something to share with them. Maybe @Support thought that it was just 1 case. I hope more users take some time to report issues on forums or support tickets to bring it to their notice because I feel that a lot of issues go unreported.

Regardless for the app to not function on your end (or anyone's else's) without you having to add your username to the correct group is something that the app itself should be looking after not the user. Something that development should be looking into. 

Yes, some other Linux users actually posted about this issue on the forums, I replied to them, and it worked. I agree that this is something that should be handled by the app when I install it. Maybe they have already fixed this issue because the latest version installed correctly for me.

thanks again!

You are welcome, glad I could help you and possibly save some time!