TorGuard

9:44 pm PST

MrPersonGuy

Hi,

What is the difference between using the Windows Version of Torguard vs the Google Chrome Extension? Do I need to use both? Is there any benefit to using both, one vs the other etc?

Also, generally - looking to set up for the 1st time, any simple advice or links on how to understand how Torguard works & best way to set up to remain anonymous?

1 hour ago, MrPersonGuy said:

What is the difference between using the Windows Version of Torguard vs the Google Chrome Extension?

"It's important to know that a browser extension will only protect traffic contained within your browser - it will not protect other software or your operating system." — [src]

Basically, all VPN extensions only connect to a proxy server with some additional options that they may offer, e.g., TorGuard supports blacklist, and even has an option to enable their own blocklist in the extension settings. If you want to read about how VPN extensions work, you can read this article.

Do I need to use both?

No, you don't have to. In fact, a lot of people (including myself) only use the desktop client. You can use both together, but if you are using the port forwarding feature, you can only use the VPN not proxy.

Is there any benefit to using both, one vs the other etc?

The only benefit I could think of is the same as mentioned on the same article I have linked above. Maybe there is more to it and I don't know about that because I personally don't use the browser extension instead I use FoxyProxy (on Firefox) to manually add the proxy if required.

I personally prefer the desktop client because I don't just use a browser, there are a lot of other apps that are connected to the internet and using a browser extension will not help with those. There are many other benefits too, 3 most important ones for me are:

• Killswitch: Will basically prevent any network activity if VPN disconnects. AFAIK, extensions don't have such feature.
  • Autorun at boot/startup.
  • App kill: Will terminate apps if/when VPN disconnects.

looking to set up for the 1st time, any simple advice or links on how to understand how Torguard works & best way to set up to remain anonymous?

You can check the official blog for different articles. And let me introduce you to Tom Spark 😛 he has created these 2 videos: Android guide & Desktop guide

• Thanks 1