TorGuard

Help setting up a VPN router

Rate this topic

tdavis19rn

tdavis19rn

So I've had TG for years but just recently been interested in setting up a VPN router so that all traffic will be anonymized from the beginning.  Mostly will want it for my smartTV and certain geolocated sports apps (go Mets!) as well as possibly setting up a media server.  I just ditched Verizon and got Comcast installed this weekend b/c I heard setting up OpenVPN through the router might be the way to go and Verizon's proprietary equipment will make that much harder/impossible. The modem/router combo I got was Netgear CM700 modem and Archer C4000 router b/c for some reason I thought the C4000 was on the DD-WRT list of supported routers, turns out it isn't.  It does have an option to use OpenVPN however.  

Can somebody steer me in the right direction to get this combo up and running as a VPN router?  Should I use the OpenVPN option on my router and configure that somehow to use with TG?  or should I return it and get a compatible tomato/ww-DRT router and flash it?  or is there a different method my smooth brain hasn't heard of yet.  I'm a fairly technically competent person, aka i cant break out a soldering pen but I can follow clear directions... usually. 

Many Thanks! I appreciate any help/info on the matter.

8 hours ago, tdavis19rn said:

So I've had TG for years but just recently been interested in setting up a VPN router so that all traffic will be anonymized from the beginning.  Mostly will want it for my smartTV and certain geolocated sports apps (go Mets!) as well as possibly setting up a media server.  I just ditched Verizon and got Comcast installed this weekend b/c I heard setting up OpenVPN through the router might be the way to go and Verizon's proprietary equipment will make that much harder/impossible. The modem/router combo I got was Netgear CM700 modem and Archer C4000 router b/c for some reason I thought the C4000 was on the DD-WRT list of supported routers, turns out it isn't.  It does have an option to use OpenVPN however.  

Can somebody steer me in the right direction to get this combo up and running as a VPN router?  Should I use the OpenVPN option on my router and configure that somehow to use with TG?  or should I return it and get a compatible tomato/ww-DRT router and flash it?  or is there a different method my smooth brain hasn't heard of yet.  I'm a fairly technically competent person, aka i cant break out a soldering pen but I can follow clear directions... usually. 

Many Thanks! I appreciate any help/info on the matter.

Return the router and get yourself an Asus RT-AC86U which is the fastest OpenVPN router (AES-NI cpu) on the planet,,,,bar none. You can flash a firmware called "merlin" which provides a plethora of OpenVPN settings designed for exactly what you want to do. also, this router is capable of running Wireguard if you should need it on your router. There arer a few other Asus routers that have AES-NI cpu's and they are very capable as well. Don't waste your time with this archer if you plan to run OpenVPN, as your speeds will be <30-40 Mbps whereas the AC86U maxes out at 250 to 300Mbps using OpenVPN.

Check it out here:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/hardware-acceleration-is-here-for-routers-using-openvpn/

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/openvpn-performance-of-the-rt-ac86u.41217/

Merlin:

https://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

balexter
On 4/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, uNc said:

also, this router is capable of running Wireguard

Hey uNc.

I am using this router with merlin firmware. I can confirm all you said except running wireguard. Is there an easy way to get wireguardf running with merlin? As far as I know, merlin himself said no to supporting wireguard.
I would be extremely thankful if you could point me in the right direction on how to set up wireguard on a 86u with merlin firmware!

Thank you in advance for any input!

Regards....

me

1 hour ago, balexter said:

Hey uNc.

I am using this router with merlin firmware. I can confirm all you said except running wireguard. Is there an easy way to get wireguardf running with merlin? As far as I know, merlin himself said no to supporting wireguard.
I would be extremely thankful if you could point me in the right direction on how to set up wireguard on a 86u with merlin firmware!

Thank you in advance for any input!

Regards....

me

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-hnd-platform-4-1-x-kernels.46164/

https://www.skadligkod.se/general-security/running-wireguard-on-an-asus-router/

https://github.com/MartineauUK/wireguard

balexter

Thank you for your effort!

to be frank, I found all your links many many month ago. I even wrote to skadligkod and pleaded if he could make a how to for beginners.

I tried to follow his steps but failed in the first step to install entware.
I am afraid, I am not tech savy  enough to follow his steps, nor the steps on snbforums.

Nevertheless I am extremely interested in getting wireguard to run on my 86U router!

I primaly use this router (with vpjn) to access US libraries of streaming services from mainland Europe. And in my experience that's pretty slow. 

I hoped to check out wireguard with its less overhead and see if it improves the situation of streaming stuff from northern america to europe. 

24 minutes ago, balexter said:

to be frank, I found all your links many many month ago. I even wrote to skadligkod and pleaded if he could make a how to for beginners.

I am afraid, I am not tech savy  enough to follow his steps, nor the steps on snbforums.

Nevertheless I am extremely interested in getting wireguard to run on my 86U router!

I primaly use this router (with vpjn) to access US libraries of streaming services from mainland Europe. And in my experience that's pretty slow. 

I hoped to check out wireguard with its less overhead and see if it improves the situation of streaming stuff from northern america to europe. 

I stream content from UK/USA/Romania/Netherlands/Canada servers to my location in SE Asia using OpenVPN on an Asus AC86U/Merlin/entware and speeds are always 190-220Mbps. I connect thru Singapore, LA, Frankfurt, etc  OpenVPN servers (not Torguard vpn servers), and speeds are consistent. TG servers are never that fast and are nowhere near the performance consistency of the other vpn I use for streaming. 

Setting up WG on asus routers is technical in nature being executed only via the CLI. Hopefully that changes soon and becomes more user friendly for router installs.

To install entware you can follow this link: https://diversion.ch/diversion/manual/the-main-menu.html

Dom1no
6 hours ago, balexter said:

Flashing Routers and installing 3rd party Firmwares such as DD-WRT or OpenWRT or Merlin etc are not very easy if you do not have much experience doing it. It is Not easy to write out instructions on how to do it simply because it is so complicated that it would take pages of writing because to properly guide someone through it you need to explain each setting in detail .... and some versions of the firmwares differ from others so if i were to write a huge guide for you to follow your version of firmware might be older/newer and have settings mine does not have or i might have settings you don't have.. which would make the guide hard to follow. I use DD-WRT Mega on my Router and when i followed Video guides online mainly (youtube) I noticed they would have settings my version didn't have.. or i would have settings that were not shown in their version which causes confusion so it's not very easy. If you are determined on learning it and doing it your best bet is to watch youtube guides (videos) and spend many hours tinkering and learning but to write out a guide would be hard and possibly not accurate due to possible firmware version differences.

Everyone seems to be recommending the harder ways to do it but i would throw in the more simple recommendation of using a GL.Inet Travel Router... they have VERY EASY to use routers that come preinstalled with easy to use firmware that supports Wireguard... you simply plug it in and insert the wireguard config and press the connect button...done.

They don't have thousands of different confusing settings and stuff they are much more user friendly and directed more towards the less technical side.

I think Most GL.Inet routers support Wireguard straight out of the box possibly not all of them but if you want easy that is the way to go. I am using a GL.Inet Convexa-B B1300 and have a 300mb connection using Wireguard on it i usually get around 150mb/s on speedtest. which is decent in my opinion. I think Torguard sells GL.Inet routers last i looked they aren't super expensive and they are much easier... However i know you already have routers and may not want to purchase an easier to use one so if that is the case your only option is to watch video guides and learn in my opinion as writing out a guide is not the best option.

tdavis19rn

For ease of use, I think I'm going to try the GL.Inet travel router and hope the speed is sufficient for my sports app I use on my Roku tv. If I end up getting too much lag or severely reduced speed I'll try flashing an Asus. It was a tough choice though b/c the travel router was only a bit cheaper and i'm sure the Asus has considerable more features.  hell, might try both and report back. 

Thanks everyone for the replies !  Much appreciated !!!

balexter

Hey you lovely folks!

Thank you all for your input and effort!

@uNc might I ask what service you use to get triple digit speed intercontinental? 

In my experience speeds are fine as long as you connect to somewhere on your continent. But as soon as you switch continents, speed will drop significantly. Sure, distance matters, I know that, but going from 300 Mbit to 20 MBit because you want to stream content across the Atlantic? I always assumed the different parts of the world are better connected than that!