TorGuard

v4.5.2 TG client beta how is it working on macOS or other OS please specify

Rate this question

ghostdestroyer

Question

ghostdestroyer

Big Sur macOS here (want to thank dev's for releasing beta) and for me no issues yet ! I enabled modern UI (wasn't staying modern it would revert but after restarting stayed in the modern UI mode and I love it works good and the graphics are well done )The menu icon works and doesn't change to openVPN anymore hurray !!! I will recommend beta for mac users (works fine for me). 

Also after sleep on my macbook pro reconnects much faster {not near as slow as before ) with Big Sur macOS

Edited by ghostdestroyer
A work in progress
  • Like 1

8 answers to this question

ghostdestroyer

Hello Ashutosh ,Yes for me working well and 10g kicking in . 

At this juncture only issue is spinning wheel ( searching for ram I think) and 5 to 10 seconds delay to either disconnect from server or when shut down .

You know , I have a 2014 macbook , what hardware are you using ?

I have been considering creating a bootable drive and running Linux because my computer is now obsolete ( and apple won't support my old hardware )but everything works well including my battery .

Ashutosh

Hi,

On 4/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, ghostdestroyer said:

At this juncture only issue is spinning wheel ( searching for ram I think) and 5 to 10 seconds delay to either disconnect from server or when shut down .

I've always had long connection delays (10-20 seconds in some cases), but I don't mind those since I have set up TorGuard to run at the boot time and I don't usually disconnect or switch servers often. And I am not getting any delays when I disconnect, I am now using the latest beta.

what hardware are you using ?

Have 32gigs of memory, I am stuck with Intel and Nvidia at the moment — will soon try to switch to AMD for both.

I have been considering creating a bootable drive and running Linux because my computer is now obsolete

Just hop on and you will really enjoy it. I have used different Linux distros (Fedora is my favorite though) on old hardware and have not faced any issues at all.

• Like 1
ghostdestroyer

Hello Ashutosh , By instructions online I partitioned a 250 gig external SSD 50/50 and downloaded ubuntu and it wouldn't boot . are any of the preloaded linux bootable flash drives any good ? or is it better to create your own ?

I am on the cusp of inability to update macOS Assuming the next update will not be available because of the age of my MacBook.

Any thoughts on this matter would be much appreciated , would like to have dual boot . I destroyed my OS on my old 2009 MacBook by partitioning the drive under way

Support
On 4/19/2021 at 7:58 PM, ghostdestroyer said:

Big Sur macOS here (want to thank dev's for releasing beta) and for me no issues yet ! I enabled modern UI (wasn't staying modern it would revert but after restarting stayed in the modern UI mode and I love it works good and the graphics are well done )The menu icon works and doesn't change to openVPN anymore hurray !!! I will recommend beta for mac users (works fine for me). 

Also after sleep on my macbook pro reconnects much faster {not near as slow as before ) with Big Sur macOS

Thanks for the feedback, we are still working on the UI and squashing some other minor bugs :)

• Like 1
Ashutosh
On 4/24/2021 at 1:55 AM, ghostdestroyer said:

By instructions online I partitioned a 250 gig external SSD 50/50 and downloaded ubuntu and it wouldn't boot

There are a lot of howto guides online, so it actually depends on which one you followed. I just searched on YouTube and found this video, and it looks promising. You have to be careful with resizing your partitions.

are any of the preloaded linux bootable flash drives any good ? or is it better to create your own ?

You can create your own, it is pretty simple. And you can use the tool mentioned in above video's description or use UNetBootin — both are open source and available on GitHub. And if you have a Windows PC, you can also use Rufus tool. Also, when you boot the USB stick, select the option to test installation media before you go ahead with installation.

I destroyed my OS on my old 2009 MacBook by partitioning the drive under way

That's why it is important that you backup your important stuff. And just have both installation medias available (Mac and Ubuntu) in case you want/need to format the entire system.

And be careful during Ubuntu installation process, you have to select the manual partition option, otherwise the setup will take your entire disk, format and restructure it for Ubuntu. It is mentioned in the shared video as well.

ghostdestroyer

Hi Ashutosh, backed it up with CCC but wouldn't boot the clone I don't use CCC anymore I even tested all clones created but after packets gone wouldn't boot

Thank you for the vid , still afraid to partition drive on fly with 2014

Ashutosh
On 4/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, ghostdestroyer said:

still afraid to partition drive on fly with 2014

I don't personally have experience with macs, so I can't tell you much about it. All I can suggest is if you are afraid, and you really don't want to run into major problems, just use an additional HDD and install Ubuntu or whatever distro you choose on it. I personally am not a big fan of dual boot anyways.