TorGuard

Using ad block DNS and Wireguard apps seem to have no internet connection.

Rate this question

BurntCheese

Question

Hello! I just got this service and noticed when using wireguard and DNS active my email app and others act as if I have no internet connection.  After playing around I found turning off DNS fixes the issue. How can I fix this? Should I run a different protocol other than wireguard? I’m fairly new to VPN’s coming from a simple pick your server and connect service. I don’t mind tinkering but was wondering if this is a known issue and any simple fixes? 
Thanks in advance. 

16 answers to this question

The problem happens when I toggle on “ad blocking dns” from the torguard app. I’ve tried different VPN servers and got the same result. Wireguard seems to work fine when I have the dns off. 
I’m not sure what the best protocol to run is I just figured wireguard since it’s set by default.

8 hours ago, BurntCheese said:

The problem happens when I toggle on “ad blocking dns” from the torguard app. I’ve tried different VPN servers and got the same result. Wireguard seems to work fine when I have the dns off. 
I’m not sure what the best protocol to run is I just figured wireguard since it’s set by default.

I personally have my own DNS blocklist and only use that. But according to a reply from @Support they use some well known blocklists and their custom list to compile the domain block list:

If you are facing issues only with Ad Blocking DNS, I would recommend you open a support ticket and discuss it with them. Make sure to mention the apps/services/websites that are not working. And in the meantime, just use a different DNS. In case you want to block ads, try using AdGuard's DNS:

Default (blocks ads, tracking domains) :

Family Protection (blocks Default + adult content) :

You can find more information related to AdGuard here.

You can add those to the app. To do so, just go to Settings ⟶ Static DNS ⟶ Add Static DNS, and add either the default IPs or family protection IPs and save it. Then change the "DNS when VPN is connected" settings to use the newly added DNS. And if you are still unable to use any app/service, try switching to Cloudflare DNS to test if it works with that.

Hope this helps you.

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2021 at 7:32 AM, BurntCheese said:

I have the same issue, i cant even use internal dns servers

12 hours ago, MrFox said:

I have the same issue, i cant even use internal dns servers

What TorGuard version are you running and what locations do you use?

On 6/25/2021 at 11:37 AM, Support said:

What TorGuard version are you running and what locations do you use?

I thought i would give this thread a Bump since i recently started having this Problem , Normally when i switch to the Ad blocking DNS in the Windows APP 10.26.0.1 i believe it is normally it works fine. But for some reason with the new Torguard 4.7.7 version when i turn on the adblocking DNS i lose internet connection. 

I even Did a network reset and reset my Adapters i tried changing settings and different combinations but No Internet when connected "WireGuard" and "OpenVPN" Both!. As soon as i switch to a different DNS > VPN DNS or Pushed DNS or anything else* it works fine but "specifically" the adblocking dns when connected i lose internet connection. I have only Tried USA/Canada Locations.

33 minutes ago, Dom1no said:

I thought i would give this thread a Bump since i recently started having this Problem , Normally when i switch to the Ad blocking DNS in the Windows APP 10.26.0.1 i believe it is normally it works fine. But for some reason with the new Torguard 4.7.7 version when i turn on the adblocking DNS i lose internet connection. 

I even Did a network reset and reset my Adapters i tried changing settings and different combinations but No Internet when connected "WireGuard". As soon as i switch to a different DNS VPN DNS or Pushed DNS or anything else it works fine but "specifically" the adblocking dns when connected i lose internet connection. I have only Tried USA/Canada Locations.

Hey Dom1no - I just tested on Mac and Windows and don't see this issue - do you use a specific location or IP?

Regards

54 minutes ago, Support said:

Hey Dom1no - I just tested on Mac and Windows and don't see this issue - do you use a specific location or IP?

Regards

Seattle USA and Canada Van , I tried other Locations too but Same problem. I tried doing a fresh reinstall using Revo , Reset my windows 10 Network/Adapters I turned off firewall/antivirus. I just can't seem to get it to function properly like the odd thing is that when connected using adblock dns the upload/download statistics in the application constantly goes up but websites wont load and the icon down by the clock shows a no internet icon. so it's like some traffic is going through but some isn't. 

EDIT:>>
I tried More Locations and now it's working so i guess Maybe it's Mostly the Canada Servers having issues possibly? 

Separately! I Noticed Canada servers don't allow stealth either the option to turn on stealth is greyed out as soon as Canada gets selected. So the Issue might be caused by specific servers/locations which makes things really confusing having to switch all over the place and jump around and connect/disconnect trying to find ones that work.

EDIT 2:> After more testing i have double confirmed that "some" Canada VPN Location IP's allow the Adblocking DNS but some IP's for Canada do NOT Allow the adblocking DNS so you have to literally connect/disconnect over and over and over and over till you find a working IP for Canada that allows Adblocking DNS , for testing purposes to help you out here is 1 of the IP's i tried that did NOT allow the adblocking DNS but there might be alot more. >> 107.181.189.48

38 minutes ago, Dom1no said:

Seattle USA and Canada Van , I tried other Locations too but Same problem. I tried doing a fresh reinstall using Revo , Reset my windows 10 Network/Adapters I turned off firewall/antivirus. I just can't seem to get it to function properly like the odd thing is that when connected using adblock dns the upload/download statistics in the application constantly goes up but websites wont load and the icon down by the clock shows a no internet icon. so it's like some traffic is going through but some isn't. 

EDIT:>>
I tried More Locations and now it's working so i guess Maybe it's Mostly the Canada Servers having issues possibly? 

Separately! I Noticed Canada servers don't allow stealth either the option to turn on stealth is greyed out as soon as Canada gets selected. So the Issue might be caused by specific servers/locations which makes things really confusing having to switch all over the place and jump around and connect/disconnect trying to find ones that work.

Can you try Canada now?

Stealth is coming to all locations, we hope to have this in Canada within the next few days.

2 minutes ago, Support said:

Can you try Canada now?

Stealth is coming to all locations, we hope to have this in Canada within the next few days.

Some of the Canada IP's are working but some are still Not working such as " 107.181.189.48 " soon as i connect to some canada ip's with the adblocking on the internet dies but some work!

10 hours ago, Dom1no said:

Some of the Canada IP's are working but some are still Not working such as " 107.181.189.48 " soon as i connect to some canada ip's with the adblocking on the internet dies but some work!

Ok I'm testing this IP with Ad Block DNS and it works OK, do yo maybe have some firewall that might be causing this problem?

Regards

I am having the same issue.  I have a few PIN IP's with ports unblocked and when I connect I have no DNS.  After spending yesterday and again this morning trying to troubleshoot my Windows 10 machine running App v4.7.7 I stumbled on this thread. I got another new IP around 2am EST to me and then make the request to open ports on that Canada Toronto IP and at appox 5:28am EST I now have no DNS again?  Is this issue fixed? 

I also started getting "Torguard VPN Fatal Error" messaging popping up with "Please retry; its not possible to set up VPN interface. An error occurred while creating the VPN interface"  I removed and reloaded the App a few times and same result after a few hours.

TorGError.JPG

Edited by NSXCessive
Attached Image and txt

3 hours ago, NSXCessive said:

I am having the same issue.  I have a few PIN IP's with ports unblocked and when I connect I have no DNS.  After spending yesterday and again this morning trying to troubleshoot my Windows 10 machine running App v4.7.7 I stumbled on this thread. I got another new IP around 2am EST to me and then make the request to open ports on that Canada Toronto IP and at appox 5:28am EST I now have no DNS again?  Is this issue fixed? 

I also started getting "Torguard VPN Fatal Error" messaging popping up with "Please retry; its not possible to set up VPN interface. An error occurred while creating the VPN interface"  I removed and reloaded the App a few times and same result after a few hours.

TorGError.JPG

What Tg version are you running?

8 hours ago, Support said:

Ok I'm testing this IP with Ad Block DNS and it works OK, do yo maybe have some firewall that might be causing this problem?

Regards

I am able to connect to any VPN Location/IP just fine if i have Adblocking DNS OFF.... If i use some other DNS such as Vpn Dns or Pushed Dns or Cloudfare I can Successfully Connect to whatever IP I Desire and my Internet works Fine. But as soon as i turn on Adblocking DNS Some IP's Will Still Connect But > once Connected will Not Give access to the Internet!. It Only Happens with the Adblock DNS, As soon as i switch DNS to something/Anything else and connect to the Same IP's my Internet starts working Again.

I have No firewall rules set of any kind i even Turned the firewall off completely ,   I tried using 3 Different Devices to Connect to   " 107.181.189.48 " with the Adblocking DNS! Using IOS Iphone* and it "appeared" to connect! ... but when you try to open a website or do anything on the Internet No Sites Load! I tried testing a 3rd device too Android Phone and it also has issues with Specific IP's using Adblock DNS sites wont load! but as soon as i switch DNS to something else and Connect to the Same IP Sites start working fine again. Out of the 3 Devices I tried to connect to 107.181.189.48 using the Adblock DNS , None of them had working internet while Connected pages would not load, even if i switch from my wifi/router network to my phones carrier Data it makes no difference still no Internet when using Adblock on certain IP's , i will note that the IP's Appear to Connect Okay they just don't have any working Internet when Connected.

2 hours ago, Dom1no said:

I am able to connect to any VPN Location/IP just fine if i have Adblocking DNS OFF.... If i use some other DNS such as Vpn Dns or Pushed Dns or Cloudfare I can Successfully Connect to whatever IP I Desire and my Internet works Fine. But as soon as i turn on Adblocking DNS Some IP's Will Still Connect But > once Connected will Not Give access to the Internet!. It Only Happens with the Adblock DNS, As soon as i switch DNS to something/Anything else and connect to the Same IP's my Internet starts working Again.

I have No firewall rules set of any kind i even Turned the firewall off completely ,   I tried using 3 Different Devices to Connect to   " 107.181.189.48 " with the Adblocking DNS! Using IOS Iphone* and it "appeared" to connect! ... but when you try to open a website or do anything on the Internet No Sites Load! I tried testing a 3rd device too Android Phone and it also has issues with Specific IP's using Adblock DNS sites wont load! but as soon as i switch DNS to something else and Connect to the Same IP Sites start working fine again. Out of the 3 Devices I tried to connect to 107.181.189.48 using the Adblock DNS , None of them had working internet while Connected pages would not load, even if i switch from my wifi/router network to my phones carrier Data it makes no difference still no Internet when using Adblock on certain IP's , i will note that the IP's Appear to Connect Okay they just don't have any working Internet when Connected.

Would it be possible to grab a log from any of you having this problem?

You can enable this under the debug tab, change to save to file, hit save, restart the app and and once the problem starts grab the log and send to [email protected] referring to this thread.

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Support said:

Would it be possible to grab a log from any of you having this problem?

You can enable this under the debug tab, change to save to file, hit save, restart the app and and once the problem starts grab the log and send to [email protected] referring to this thread.

Thanks

Email with Debug Log Sent.

• Thanks 1