TorGuard

Cannot access services on PC with VPN client running

Rate this question

Scott

Question

Scott

I'm running a hyper-v based guest. This is a media server running radarr and other services. With the Torguard VPN client OFF, I can access radarr remotely using a ddns. With the Torguard VPN client running, however, I can not longer access radarr (ddns updated). Why may Torguard be blocking my access to radarr?

Screenshot's of settings...

vpn-screen.jpg.e01ce0cc469e117a12c69c7cee55327d.jpgvpn-settings-2.jpg.f49d125be2db8672a052f5ec57a16a48.jpgvpn-settings-1.jpg.95c9e203f957f346dfa5a824a0643c84.jpg

5 answers to this question

Dom1no

It is unlikely that Torguard Is blocking anything and more likely that is it a configuration error on your end such as Firewall  , Network settings , maybe the Port isn't opened it could be any number of things but it is likely Something not configured properly.

You mention you can access it with the VPN off* but Can't with the VPN on* so my first guess is Port/Firewall/Network not configured properly on your end,

Did you open the Port for Radarr on the specific VPN* IP on the torguard website?
Did you configure Your Firewall with the Settings for VPN port's etc?
Is your network Profile Configured properly such as Private/Public etc?

Scott

Thanks for the reply. I may be completely off with my understanding of using a VPN. Here are my responses to your questions.

Open a port? You mean a port forward request with Torguard? I don't need to bypass the vpn, and I would not be forwarding a port.

For my successful test w/ VPN off, yes, I had to forward a port from the router to the guest VM. Otherwise, with the VPN, I'll be connecting directly to the guest VM via domain through the VPN static IP.

With the VPN active, I wish to use mydomain.com:7878. The domain is properly set with my service provider. I also linked a few subdomains via A records to the VPN IP. In full discloser, once I can get this working, I will re-enable and send all traffic through my NGINX reverse proxy server.

Firewall: off (for testing)

Host & Guest Network Profile: Private

Host Hyper-V Network Profile: Bridged (for this matter, I've already gone through tech support at MS, so my network appears to be setup correctly)

Dom1no

Your best course of action would likely be to Open a support ticket and likely Torguard support would be able to direct you in the right direction ,

I am running something similar to what you are running and to access my media remotely with the VPN running i was required to open the specific Port on the VPN IP/Server , there is a port forwarding page in your Torguard Control panel on the website to open ports on specific IP's/Servers. If you didn't open the ports your using then that might explain why your having access issues. But i could be wrong your best bet like i say is talk to support because they are Very smart and Helpful.

Scott

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Question... when accessing your media, is it direct? Meaning, are you simply directing traffic to 1 port? I was using a vpn with my Plex VM server and recall I had to open the incoming port, but not the port being used internally. I'll make that inquire.

Scott
On 4/9/2021 at 10:51 PM, Dom1no said:

I am running something similar to what you are running and to access my media remotely with the VPN running i was required to open the specific Port on the VPN IP/Server

As it turned out, I too needed to have a port opened. However, I believe I need to make an entry in my nginx code to allow this traffic through. Are you using nginx? If yes, please share any experience/code you can for my reference, thanks.