TorGuard

Streaming IP linked to your account?

Rate this topic

Intrepid

Intrepid

Hello,

This question has been asked before on this forum, however the answer is still unclear to me..

When you use a dedicated IP or streaming IP, you are the only one using that IP. This means that you are not so anonymous on the internet as when you would use a shared IP address (the regular VPN servers), I get that.

My question is the following: 
Once an IP streaming address is issued to a user, can this streaming IP be traced back to my account somehow? Do you keep info that links the streaming IP to my account? 

Or can you use a streaming IP VPN just as a shared regular VPN server?

Recently, another VPN provider started with dedicated IP addresses and caused my curiosity:
In accordance with our strict no logging policy, <VPN provider> uses an innovative token system to offer dedicated IP addresses without connecting them to VPN accounts.

Edited by Intrepid
I wanted to make it more readable
Dom1no

Hey :) , From what i have seen/heard over the years i would say it's best to use dedicated ip's for safer things.... on the addon page when purchasing a dedicated ip for streaming residential ip's it says on all of them "NO Torrents" that partially answers the question right there. You are asking a question which seems to not get addressed very often or very clearly. Torrentfreak asked Torguard support the same question and here is the answer given from support to torrentfreak which they "published" publicly in one of their stories.... So it states depending on how you pay "SOME" information would be linked " If that user paid us with a credit card we will have only a billing name and postal code to bill the user for services. If that same user pays us with cryptocurrency, we hold nothing but an email address and cryptocurrency transaction ID,” Torguard notes." It does not specify which info is linked for paypal but likely email/name/address likely one or more of those. So clearly it is best to use dedicated ip's for... safe things and shared ip's for the rest.

Quote from article
"""

VPN Providers Confirm Anonymity Tradeoff

Broadly speaking, we would say that the “no logs” policies of VPN providers don’t apply to dedicated IPs. That conclusion is backed up by several VPN providers we reached out to, which include VPNArea, NordVPN, CyberGhost, and Torguard.

These providers all have a no-logging policy for their regular VPN service, which relies on shared IP-addresses. However, they see dedicated IP-addresses as a separate and different service, which is treated differently anonymity-wise.

TorGuard stresses that there are different use cases for these two options and while both are private, dedicated IP-addresses are less anonymous.

“When a TorGuard user buys a dedicated IP add-on we need to know that IP address in order to assign it to the right user. If that user paid us with a credit card we will have only a billing name and postal code to bill the user for services. If that same user pays us with cryptocurrency, we hold nothing but an email address and cryptocurrency transaction ID,” Torguard notes.
"""

• Like 1
Intrepid
15 minutes ago, Dom1no said:

Hello 😀,

Thank you for the excellent explanation, it's clear to me now how this works!

BeanJr
On 3/19/2021 at 12:53 PM, Dom1no said:

it says on all of them "NO Torrents"

I can confirm that torrents are actually BLOCKED, so even if you tried or you forgot to switch from dedicated to shared, you won't risk anything.

Dom1no

They may be blocked on Streaming dedicated IP's but they seem to work on Regular* Dedicated IP's, However i personally would Not risk it.

I Only use my Regular Dedicated IP for respectable Family Safe Internet use such as regular surfing and banking etc which is what It is intended for. If i ever felt the need to download a Linux torrent or something i would make sure i did that on a shared server which is how it's supposed to be done.

• Like 1
BeanJr
23 hours ago, Dom1no said:

but they seem to work on Regular* Dedicated IP's

That is very interesting to know. I half assumed that p2p would be outright blocked on ALL dedicated servers no matter the type of IP you have.

• Like 1
Boopa-dee

I think TorGuard should make it clear that when buying a dedicated IP that it can be linked to the account since the average user might not be aware.

Dom1no

I do agree more information on dedicated IP's would be nice... When you do research into it you see they classify Dedicated IP's as a separate service for online banking , gaming , streaming , server whitelisting etc

And they classify Shared servers as "MORE" anonymous* They actually state multiple times on multiple different pages within their site that shared are more anonymous then dedicated but ... they do not go into any specific details they expect users to.... guess i think.

I think that if there is a TINY* bit of information stored for dedicated ip's that it would likely only be handed over if there was a subpoena/court order forcing them to do so.... which is "very rare" , 

I would assume they have never handed over any information to date and i think they handle privacy / security seriously and would not hand over any information unless forced to do so and i doubt they ever have .... however it would be wise to use shared servers for anything you want to be 100% anonymous. 

• Like 1