TorGuard

Major speed differences on same network, different computer

Rate this topic

mehoff88

mehoff88

So I use TorGuard(newest version) on two of my three win 10 computers, one being a laptop.  Using the vpn on my wired desktop(1gb down/45mb up) is amazingly fast and works perfectly. Using it on my laptop wirelessly on the same network nets very different results. Running speed test on the laptop still results in fast speeds (800mb down/40 up). Any idea what could be causing this? Could it be wireguard? Sorry if this is vague, I dont know much about VPNs. 

Dom1no

Hey :) There are alot of things to take into account but Speeds can be affected by Computer Specifications such as CPU/Ram/Ethernet port speed/Wifi card speed/ Ethernet cable speed/Modem/Router/etc

Cat 5 cable = 100mbps
cat5E cable 1gbps
cat6 cable 1gbps
Cat 6A cable 10gbps

If your using Ethernet cables then you need to be sure all of them are correct speed cables and if your using Wifi your limited to whatever speed the wifi card specs are. Encryption is done on your computer so as for the encryption that can be limited to whatever your CPU ETC can handle. I would say that your Laptop likely has slower speeds due to less powerful CPU and possibly slow wireless card* as compared to your desktop which you mentioned is using a wired* connection. A big Factor though is CPU power for encryption, turning down the encryption may increase speeds if it is the CPU causing the slowdown but it could be the wireless card too.

• Like 1
mehoff88
1 hour ago, Dom1no said:

Hey :) There are alot of things to take into account but Speeds can be affected by Computer Specifications such as CPU/Ram/Ethernet port speed/Wifi card speed/ Ethernet cable speed/Modem/Router/etc

Cat 5 cable = 100mbps
cat5E cable 1gbps
cat6 cable 1gbps
Cat 6A cable 10gbps

If your using Ethernet cables then you need to be sure all of them are correct speed cables and if your using Wifi your limited to whatever speed the wifi card specs are. Encryption is done on your computer so as for the encryption that can be limited to whatever your CPU ETC can handle. I would say that your Laptop likely has slower speeds due to less powerful CPU and possibly slow wireless card* as compared to your desktop which you mentioned is using a wired* connection. A big Factor though is CPU power for encryption, turning down the encryption may increase speeds if it is the CPU causing the slowdown but it could be the wireless card too.

Thanks for the reply, but that wasn't the case until I downloaded the new version of TorGuard. Ever since I got 4.4.1, the speeds of my downloads have been cut down by more than half. Could it be wireguard causing the slow speeds? The laptop is a brand new Spectre 360 with a 11th gen i7 Intel EVO. She's real fast...lol

Dom1no

It likely comes down to specifications/configuration on your end, Otherwise other people would be posting the same problem on the forums as well. If you are having difficulties figuring out the specific cause/solution i would encourage you to open a support ticket and maybe support can help you narrow it down.

I have been using version 4.4.1 since it was released on Feb 11th and have had no problems with it using Wireguard , I have 300mbps connection and i get around 300mbps on speedtest with VPN on* using Wifi 6 ax200 wireless card* with AMD ryzen 5800x CPU using Wireguard* ,, it could be alot of different things ... Sometimes speed Varies Depending on the specific server/IP you connect to as well it all depends how many other people are connected to that IP and what they are doing ... You also need to connect to server locations "near you" to get low ping and highspeed, the farther away the location the slower the speed and higher the ping.

That Laptop you specified is newer so it should be getting decent speeds like you say... Did you try Unplugging your desktop ethernet cable and plugging the Ethernet cable into the Laptop to see if The speed improves when your not using wifi? You can also try changing DNS settings..