TorGuard

How exposed was I?

Rate this question

AlMar

Question

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed to learn that I've had a DNS leak the whole time while I've been paying for TG's service (going on two years).

Recently, I was advised to use the Google DNS, which I did (is this better?).

So, just how exposed was I during my the time when I just assumed that I was fine while using TG's VPN service? I mean, here I am paying for anonymity and I find out that some DNS server had been logging my activity all along and still potentially has those logs.

What exactly did I get when I paid for TG's VPN service? Am I just lucky that my ISP hasn't cut me off?

8 answers to this question

Support

Hi Lobo

When you do a DNS Leak test - does your ISP servers show anywhere ? do you have static DNS set on your machine ? you have control over what DNS you use, DNS Leaks are client side issues they are not a problem with the VPN providers.

If using TG Lite you set static DNS on your network adapters to prevent any leaks - if using TG Viscosity this can all be done within the app.

Regards

Hi Lobo

When you do a DNS Leak test - does your ISP servers show anywhere ? do you have static DNS set on your machine ? you have control over what DNS you use, DNS Leaks are client side issues they are not a problem with the VPN providers.

If using TG Lite you set static DNS on your network adapters to prevent any leaks - if using TG Viscosity this can all be done within the app.

Regards

Did you read my post?

How exposed was I? Past tense. You claim anonymity and I just assumed I wouldn't have to deal with the fine details.

Yes, I corrected the problem by using the google dns (stated in my previous post), but shouldn't you have your own secure, non-logging dns?

I will take all this into consideration when I decide to renew.

Support

Hi Lobo

Your not exposed, google do log DNS queries for a while but they don't exactly share them with your ISP. As long as your ISP don't show then your good.

We do offer free secure (non-logging) DNS servers as you will see on our billing homepage.

Regards

You're still not getting my question. How exposed WAS (in the past; before now; history) I? (NOT, how exposed am I now. I was NOT using Google's DNS before.)

For a year and a half I had no idea about this dns leak thing WHILE USING YOUR PRODUCT.

The dns was leaking to whatever server my isp uses. I want to know what potential exposure I had during this PAST time. Because of the DNS leak, what information has been logged on that other (the one in the past) server?

Just the sites I visited?

All traffic, including torrents?

Of course you were exposed. Google logs everything, including and request made from the host to their DNS server. But as long as you were using the VPN, Google only logged the TG's VPN server and not your IP.

I love TG services but never 'assume' it is working as advertised. TG does recommend users run a DSN leak test via dnsleaktest.com. I know it is inconvenient but I run the test every time I connect to TG service. The test will also verify that your are connected the VPN successfully.

Also disable IPv6 connection if your ISP provide the internet connection on IPv6.

As I know TG is not supporting the IPv6 so all of your IPv6 traffic is not directed through your active VPN connection..

You were not exposed. I have tested this myself. When you are connected to the VPN service and run dnsleaktest you see all these Google DNS pings. This is because the VPN server you are connected to is doing that on your behalf. Anyone tracing that communication will end up at that VPN server and not your "comptuer". So you are fine as long as you are sure you were using the VPN at that time.

I have no idea why the TorGuard servers would not use their "TorGuard Free Secure DNS" 89.248.172.121 and 184.75.220.106 (no-logging) DNS servers they advertise but it might be because of some sort of server leasing agreement...

You dont need to but you can force your VPN connection to use these if you really want to. I did that and everything works just fine. No DNS leaks when I'm ON or OFF the VPN in my network. Let me know if you are still having this problem.