TorGuard

opvn files - binary vs text

Rate this question

KSmith

Question

I just reloaded the openvpn files into my Linux Mint. I tried to put a couple into my Network settings and got a window:

"The file 'TorGuard.Netherlands.UDP.ovpn' could not be read or does not contain recognized VPN connection information. Error: Failed to open file _ _ _ "

That's when I noticed that some of the opvn files are text and some are binary. I can load the text files but not the binary. And a couple of my fav servers are currently binary.

Why two types? What's the difference? Can I easily convert them? Do you know why Mint isn't recognizing the binary files?

10 answers to this question

Support

Hi Ksmith

Are you getting mixed up with the .ovpn files and the certificates files maybe ?

The .ovpn files are in text, the certs have a certificate in them.

Regards

Well... I tried opening a binary file in Text Editor and I did not have permission to do that...

(F'n Linux...!)

So I open the openvpn folder in root and in root all the ovpn files are text... none are binary in root.

I compared a (non-root) text ovpn file {Russia TCP} to a (non-root) binary file {Swiss TCP} and, other than the ip addresses, they are exactly the same.

It must be some weird thing with Mint.

I don't have time now, but later I will try putting a 'binary' file into Network Settings from root rather than the non-root file (if it lets me)

I will report back.

Thanks for your help. I am a Linux noob, myself, so all this is new to me. Everything just seem to work without any weird issues in Windows....

Ok... here is the problem.

http://imgur.com/glUfz5R

On the left is the Properties of an ovpn file that shows as a Text file.

On the right is the Properties of an ovpn file that shows as a Binary file (I had to use root to open the Properties)

Notice that the Text file has 'Read and write' on all three Access. It also has 'Allow executing file as program' checkmarked.

The Binary file only has Owner Access as 'Read and write' and the other two as 'None'. It has Allow executing file as program' un-checkmarked.

When I change the Access and Execute in the Binary files to match the Text files, the files change from Binary to Text.

They do both have the same files. It's the permissions that are different. I can load the Text versions because all the Permissions allow me to but I can not load the Binary files because two of the three permissions are set to not allow me to access them. When I change the Permissions I can load the files.

I now understand what's happening and it's no problem for me to change the Permissions of the Binary ovpn files that I want to use on a regular basis. I just thought you might like to know that there are two different types of files going out. I suspect that I am not the only one who will be having this issue.

Support

Hi KSmith - to be honest i haven't heard any issues with them, when i download them on mac/windows or ubuntu they are all the same to me.

Regards