Jump to content
TorGuard
  • 0

- All platforms: display a notification every 60 seconds if the VPN is not running.

Rate this question


Zelf24
 Share

Question

Is it possible to enable an option to turn this notification off?  I had to disable Windows / Mac notifications for the app because it was spamming me so much.

I have traditionally always left Torguard running (while disconnected) in the Windows taskbar / Mac menubar, and activate it "at-will" when necessary.  I feel that I have set up enough rules to terminate relevant apps if Torguard's VPN is not active; I don't need to constantly be harassed by it every 60 seconds.

 

This automatic 'every 60 seconds' notification also runs in direct contrast to those who check the "Auto start on boot", but leave "Auto connect at launch" unchecked.

 

I am aware of the option to Enable / Disable Notifications within the Settings.  I don't want to disable notifications completely, as I like Torguard notifying me when I intentionally take certain actions (Disconnect/Connect, etc) or when errors occur that cause a random disconnect.  I just don't need it telling me "You are not protected!  the VPN is not connected..." every 60 seconds.  I am well aware.

 

Thank you for an otherwise great product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
13 hours ago, Zelf24 said:

Is it possible to enable an option to turn this notification off?  I had to disable Windows notifications for the app because it was spamming me so much.

I have traditionally always left Torguard running (while disconnected) in the Windows taskbar / Mac menubar, and activate it "at-will" when necessary.  I feel that I have set up enough rules to terminate relevant apps if Torguard's VPN is not active; I don't need to constantly be harassed by it every 60 seconds.

 

This automatic 'every 60 seconds' notification also runs in direct contrast to those who check the "Auto start on boot", but leave "Auto connect at launch" unchecked.

 

I am aware of the option to Enable / Disable Notifications within the Settings.  I don't want to disable notifications completely, as I like Torguard notifying me when I intentionally take certain actions (Disconnect/Connect, etc) or when errors occur that cause a random disconnect.  I just don't need it telling me "You are not protected!  the VPN is not connected..." every 60 seconds.  I am well aware.

 

Thank you for an otherwise great product.

 

I have passed this to our developers to see what they can do - thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

+1 from me. I've disabled all notifications for now, but an option to disable this notification separately from the rest would be nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
7 hours ago, centnes said:

+1 from me. I've disabled all notifications for now, but an option to disable this notification separately from the rest would be nice.


Agreed, centnes. Disabling all notifications is a nuclear option that I would rather avoid, but it is absolutely necessary for our use case given the app’s current notification behavior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
24 minutes ago, Support said:

The ability to disable them if you wish to will be in the next release, the frequency will change to every 5 minutes.

Regards


Thank you. Please relay to the development team that I appreciate all of their efforts in their attempts to honor users’ requests!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 3/22/2021 at 5:15 PM, Support said:

The ability to disable them if you wish to will be in the next release, the frequency will change to every 5 minutes.

Regards

 

I downloaded v.4.6.2 that was released 3rd May 2021, but do not see a frequency option. I only see an option to disable all notifications. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can find the frequency option within the settings?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
54 minutes ago, Naotme said:

 

I downloaded v.4.6.2 that was released 3rd May 2021, but do not see a frequency option. I only see an option to disable all notifications. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can find the frequency option within the settings?


I think they mean that there is now an option to turn off the "you are not connected to the VPN" popup and that when the popup is enabled it pops up less often now it used to popup every 1 minute but now when it's enabled it pops up every 5 minutes i believe. So it was changed to 5 minutes so it happens less often and there is also an option to turn it off. There is NOT an option to customize* the interval though it's stuck at every 5 minutes i believe.

In Settings > General - there is the option "show disconnected warning" If it's turned on you get the popup every 5 minutes and if turned off it doesn't popup at all, but there is no option to customize the timing that i can see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
2 hours ago, Dom1no said:


I think they mean that there is now an option to turn off the "you are not connected to the VPN" popup and that when the popup is enabled it pops up less often now it used to popup every 1 minute but now when it's enabled it pops up every 5 minutes i believe. So it was changed to 5 minutes so it happens less often and there is also an option to turn it off. There is NOT an option to customize* the interval though it's stuck at every 5 minutes i believe.

In Settings > General - there is the option "show disconnected warning" If it's turned on you get the popup every 5 minutes and if turned off it doesn't popup at all, but there is no option to customize the timing that i can see.

 

Thank you so much! That was exactly was I was looking for. I was confused and thought it was the notification for when you successfully disconnect from VPN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Yikes. I had to Google this to find out how to shut up these notifications. 

Those of us that use Torguard only as a proxy server and hardly ever use the VPN itself are likely all going to Google, also, but I have no idea what the demographics/statistics are. You might want to have that "Show Disconnected Warning" option disabled by default on all new installs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...