TorGuard

Installed 4.4.0, now network connection sometimes works, sometimes not

Rate this question

FTI

Question

On PC startup, half the time I get a "no internet" error.  It's really frustrating.

I can get around this by right clicking Torguard icon in system tray, clicking connect (then half the time nothing happpens here too, it just hangs), then clicking disconnect, and my internet connection goes live and everything is fine.

The other issue is, that even when I get a internet connection on startup, that if I right click the system tray icon to connect, nothing happens, it just hangs.  BUT, if I open the app and see the window, and connect through the main menu, then it connects.

Whats going on.  Please help.  This is very frustrating having to do all these workarounds every time I boot up my PC.

I think it has something to do with the network adapters bugging out (the ethernet or possibly the TAP one).

Also, why is the system tray login not working?  Could this be causing the no internet connection in the first place?

Thanks.

3 answers to this question

Dom1no

I have experienced this same thing but for me it was caused by settings i had set* either the kill switch or shutting down / rebooting the computer without properly disconnecting from the VPN first. In your settings if you have the kill switch enabled then what you are experiencing is normal try turning the kill switch off.

If the kill switch is turned on then it does basically exactly what you are describing. You can also uninstall your TAP driver and Uninstall Torguard and reinstall both* fresh but like i say make sure the kill switch is off! otherwise it will keep doing exactly what you are describing as that's normal. I will post a picture of my settings as a ruff example, You do not need to copy my DNS settings you can use opendns or google or cloudfare or whatever you prefer.

tor setup.jpg

11 hours ago, Dom1no said:

I have experienced this same thing but for me it was caused by settings i had set* either the kill switch or shutting down / rebooting the computer without properly disconnecting from the VPN first. In your settings if you have the kill switch enabled then what you are experiencing is normal try turning the kill switch off.

If the kill switch is turned on then it does basically exactly what you are describing. You can also uninstall your TAP driver and Uninstall Torguard and reinstall both* fresh but like i say make sure the kill switch is off! otherwise it will keep doing exactly what you are describing as that's normal. I will post a picture of my settings as a ruff example, You do not need to copy my DNS settings you can use opendns or google or cloudfare or whatever you prefer.

tor setup.jpg

Thank you for trying to help.  No, kill switch is not enabled.  It's unchecked like yours. We have the same settings except for the DNS info.  What else could it be?

Dom1no

It could be an issue specifically related to your computer it could be any number of things a conflict with other software installed antivirus / drivers etc or settings you have set. what you are experiencing does not sound normal if the kill switch is off*. It does not seem like anyone else is experiencing this issue so it would likely be something specific to your operating environment. I reinstall windows every 6-12 months so i usually never experience too many issues of any kind.

If you are unable to figure out the issue you can try opening a support ticket and maybe they will be able to help.