TorGuard

"We've noticed you're accessing the site from outside the UK" - How is this possible?

Rate this question

Noz

Question

I signed up for a personal VPN and extra dedicated UK IP address. I also installed a fresh copy of firefox that I only use through the VPN (I normally use Chrome as my normal browser).

Right now I am connected through the windows client, I checked on whatsmyip.com to make sure it is working correctly, but somehow when I went to log onto the website oddschecker.com, they give me a popup saying that they noticed I am accessing from outside the UK... How is this possible?

I have set firefox up to block location requests, so don't think they should have access to that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

9 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Noz said:

I signed up for a personal VPN and extra dedicated UK IP address. I also installed a fresh copy of firefox that I only use through the VPN (I normally use Chrome as my normal browser).

Right now I am connected through the windows client, I checked on whatsmyip.com to make sure it is working correctly, but somehow when I went to log onto the website oddschecker.com, they give me a popup saying that they noticed I am accessing from outside the UK... How is this possible?

I have set firefox up to block location requests, so don't think they should have access to that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Where do you get the message on oddschecker.com? I'm from Europe and even without a VPN I don't see this message to check it out.

16 hours ago, John19 said:

Where do you get the message on oddschecker.com? I'm from Europe and even without a VPN I don't see this message to check it out.

16 hours ago, John19 said:

It came up as a popup, suggesting that I might like to use one of their international versions when I went to the home page. I could still use the UK page as they don't really care if I'm using a VPN or not in the UK, but this made me worry a bit.

And today, I just connected the VPN and saw that whatsmyipaddress.com is showing me in Ireland, with proxy detected and with a completely different IP than my dedicated IP that I had connected to, so maybe this is what caused that popup? 

Anyone have any ideas how this could happen?

I will attach a screenshot.

ip in ireland2.jpg

35 minutes ago, Noz said:

It came up as a popup, suggesting that I might like to use one of their international versions when I went to the home page. I could still use the UK page as they don't really care if I'm using a VPN or not in the UK, but this made me worry a bit.

And today, I just connected the VPN and saw that whatsmyipaddress.com is showing me in Ireland, with proxy detected and with a completely different IP than my dedicated IP that I had connected to, so maybe this is what caused that popup? 

Anyone have any ideas how this could happen?

I will attach a screenshot.

ip in ireland2.jpg

Are you using WireGuard for your Dedicated IP and did you select WireGuard in the online webinterface for your IP?

1 hour ago, John19 said:

Are you using WireGuard for your Dedicated IP and did you select WireGuard in the online webinterface for your IP?

I don't think so, am not even sure what wireguard is. I'm using the torguard client, with default settings that were automatically loaded after I purchased the dedicated IP.

Dom1no

The Default* settings might not be the right settings that you want, you have to go into the settings and set them up.

An example might be in your picture above it displays ipv6* IP which could indicate a potential misconfiguration as most VPN's do not fully support Ipv6 yet so since it is showing something there is is likely your internet providers ipv6. I would recommend going into the settings and setting it up properly. I will post a picture of my settings to give you a ruff idea.

Tinkering with the settings will likely solve the issues, Clearing the Cookies in your browser for the specific site/s sometimes helps too.

You also have to take note that alot of sites these days have advanced cookie Monitoring , An example in this case would be Private torrent sites all use something called Cookie IP Detection to detect users breaking rules by making multiple accounts. So if you were to make an account and then sign out and change your ip and make another account it would be detected through Cookie IP detection , the cookie which is linked to your old ip/account would automatically link the new ip/account togeather with the old one and that sets off alarm bells in the admin control panel and a notification pops up for staff to review. Alot of sites these days track users through cookies which links all the accounts you made on that site togeather even if you changed your ip and used a diff IP for each account that does NOT matter if you forgot* to clear your cookies each time as the system automatically links allllll the accounts made under the same cookie or ip togeather which can be viewed in the Admin control panel for whatever site uses it.

tor setup.jpg

On 2/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Dom1no said:

The Default* settings might not be the right settings that you want, you have to go into the settings and set them up.

An example might be in your picture above it displays ipv6* IP which could indicate a potential misconfiguration as most VPN's do not fully support Ipv6 yet so since it is showing something there is is likely your internet providers ipv6. I would recommend going into the settings and setting it up properly. I will post a picture of my settings to give you a ruff idea.

Tinkering with the settings will likely solve the issues, Clearing the Cookies in your browser for the specific site/s sometimes helps too.

You also have to take note that alot of sites these days have advanced cookie Monitoring , An example in this case would be Private torrent sites all use something called Cookie IP Detection to detect users breaking rules by making multiple accounts. So if you were to make an account and then sign out and change your ip and make another account it would be detected through Cookie IP detection , the cookie which is linked to your old ip/account would automatically link the new ip/account togeather with the old one and that sets off alarm bells in the admin control panel and a notification pops up for staff to review. Alot of sites these days track users through cookies which links all the accounts you made on that site togeather even if you changed your ip and used a diff IP for each account that does NOT matter if you forgot* to clear your cookies each time as the system automatically links allllll the accounts made under the same cookie or ip togeather which can be viewed in the Admin control panel for whatever site uses it.

Sorry for taking a few days to reply. I was away for the weekend. Anyway, I now checked again today before changing any of the settings, and it seems to have fixed itself... Well, the IP is showing the correct IPv4 address and location, and IPv6 says "not detected". But, I also checked ipqualityscore.com, that is showing that my IP is high risk of fraud, been "reported as blacklisted" and VPN/proxy detected...  This is not normal on a private dedicated IP right? 

I also checked the settings you shared, and apart from the killswitch I turned on, most of mine were the same except the DNS settings. I don't have the options for torguard USA, so I left those as "none", and when the VPN is connected, it was set to "pushed DNS" which I changed to "VPN DNS"

Do you think these settings are ok? But I'm not sure what I should do about my IP being detected as fraudlant/blacklisted....

ip fraud score.JPG

Dom1no

Choosing none for DNS is prolly not the most secure option for that you should choose one of the options it provides not the none option though. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that site you are using >> "ipqualityscore" and what they say i have never even heard of the site your using in the pictures.

Initially you said you had a popup on oddschecker* asking if your outside the UK that could have been due to misconfigured settings or DNS or cookies but if you fixed your settings etc then you should be fine. I would just keep moving forward like normal if you get that same popup again just ignore it maybe its just a spammy popup from the site your using and nothing to pay much attention to.

As for your dedicated ip being listed as blacklisted it is possible the site your using to check if it's blacklisted is just inaccurate, if you experience larger issues with the IP down the road then you could open a support ticket and ask support to have a look for you as they are usually fairly fast to reply to tickets and very helpful. 

17 hours ago, Dom1no said:

Choosing none for DNS is prolly not the most secure option for that you should choose one of the options it provides not the none option though. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that site you are using >> "ipqualityscore" and what they say i have never even heard of the site your using in the pictures.

Initially you said you had a popup on oddschecker* asking if your outside the UK that could have been due to misconfigured settings or DNS or cookies but if you fixed your settings etc then you should be fine. I would just keep moving forward like normal if you get that same popup again just ignore it maybe its just a spammy popup from the site your using and nothing to pay much attention to.

As for your dedicated ip being listed as blacklisted it is possible the site your using to check if it's blacklisted is just inaccurate, if you experience larger issues with the IP down the road then you could open a support ticket and ask support to have a look for you as they are usually fairly fast to reply to tickets and very helpful. 

It could be, but it will definitely cause me problems if I am detected using a VPN, so I'd rather be careful. IPQualityScore is the top result on google and pops up all over the web in youtube and forums, so I figured they were pretty well known and legit, but is there any other way I can check if my IP is bad? 

I don't know if the dedicated IPs that are given at torguard are unused, or could have been used by other users for dodgy things? I did already contact support, but they didn't seem to know much about it. They just told me to reinstall the program and use default settings. 

Dom1no

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you have any actual serious issues with it, getting a spammy popup is nothing to worry about as long as the site is working properly. If you go to the site you mentioned "oddschecker" and read the privacy policy on the site it specifically says , quote ,

"Most cookies we use are "session cookies," which are automatically deleted at the end of a browsing session, but we also use "persistent" cookies. These stay on your hard drive and we use it to automatically recognize you as the same visitor when you return to our site or app. The cookie itself contains no personally identifiable information about you but it does pass an ID to our server which allows us to tie the cookie to you so we can update the homepage to let you know what has changed since your last visit."

it says they use persistent cookies to monitor you between visits,  so the cookie is likely what caused that popup. Like i say i would not worry about it too much unless you experience serious issues but the popup i would just ignore i went to the site and i saw the same popup it looks like a normal popup just ignore.