TorGuard

OpenVPN over Shadowsocks

Rate this question

Ton

Question

Direct OpenVPN connection (even with Stealth port) does not work in China now, and the connection via the built-in Stealth Proxy, which is based on Shadowsocks, is extremely slow from my network.

As I've bought another Shadowsocks service, I managed to run TorGuard's OpenVPN over Shadowsocks by first start the Shadowsocks in proxy mode and then enable custom proxy in TorGuard's Android App with address 127.0.0.1 and port 10801 (depending on the settings of Shadowsocks), and finally adding Shadowscocks to the "restricted apps" of TorGuard.

However I haven't figured out how to do that on macOS. Has anyone tried something similar?

I'm doing that since Shadowscocks itself is not safe or cannot unblock Netflix, but TorGuard alone simply cannot provide any meaningful connection from China at this time.

Edited by Ton
typo

7 answers to this question

25 minutes ago, Ton said:

Direct OpenVPN connection (even with Stealth port) does not work in China now, and the connection via the built-in Stealth Proxy, which is based on Shadowsocks, is extremely slow from my network.

As I've bought another Shadowsocks service, I managed to run TorGuard's OpenVPN over Shadowsocks by first start the Shadowsocks in proxy mode and then enable custom proxy in TorGuard's Android App with address 127.0.0.1 and port 10801 (depending on the settings of Shadowsocks), and finally adding Shadowscocks to the "restricted apps" of TorGuard.

However I haven't figured out how to do that on macOS. Has anyone tried something similar?

I'm doing that since Shadowscocks itself is not safe or cannot unblock Netflix, but TorGuard alone simply cannot provide any meaningful connection from China at this time.

Do TorGuard's direct wireguard connections work from China?

Edit: if it does not work, there are several users who use wireguard over shadowsocks from china and report it to work

11 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Do TorGuard's direct wireguard connections work from China?

No. I guess China is blocking the IPs of those VPN servers, so any protocol won't be able to establish a direct connection.

1 minute ago, Ton said:

No. I guess China is blocking the IPs of those VPN servers, so any protocol won't be able to establish a direct connection.

I edited the post when you replied. By I guess it means you did not try it out or does it mean by no you tried it out and it does not work? I am just curious but assume the same. Wireguard over shadowsocks should work better than openvpn in terms of performance and as I edited above, there are users using wireguard over shadowsocks too

5 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

I edited the post when you replied. By I guess it means you did not try it out or does it mean by no you tried it out and it does not work? I am just curious but assume the same. Wireguard over shadowsocks should work better than openvpn in terms of performance and as I edited above, there are users using wireguard over shadowsocks too

I tried it many times and it never worked since last October. 
Is there any guide for using WireGuard over Shadowsocks?

13 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Are you sure that WireGuard can be tunnelled through Shadowsocks?

I just saw this post 

35 minutes ago, Ton said:

Are you sure that WireGuard can be tunnelled through Shadowsocks?

I just saw this post 

I am not using wireguard over shadowsocks but know that some do, simple search already provides some links like this: https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-Wireguard-VPN-Configs/issues/17

1 hour ago, 19807409 said:

I am not using wireguard over shadowsocks but know that some do, simple search already provides some links like this: https://github.com/rajannpatel/Pi-Hole-on-Google-Compute-Engine-Free-Tier-with-Full-Tunnel-and-Split-Tunnel-Wireguard-VPN-Configs/issues/17

I found a working solution on my Mac finally following a tutorial here (UI of the software there was in Chinese) http://playbeasts.com:4567/topic/2590/how-to-route-openvpn-over-shadowsocks-windows-mac-android .

Basically I need to add a few lines into the .ovpn file 

route SHADOWSOCKS_SERVER_ADDRESS 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

so that it won't direct shadowsocks through VPN.