TorGuard

Incredibly slow wireguard speeds

Rate this question

ChrisM5G

Question

ChrisM5G

I’m running a dedicated streaming IP wireguard client on my gl.inet brume router. It ran ok for a few days and I was getting less than 5 Mbps of loss from my baseline connection. Now speeds are incredibly slow. They were around 4-6 Mbps and I got them up to 15 Mbps by changing DNS servers to torguard internal servers but I should be getting 70-90 Mbps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

3 answers to this question

ProfPeterBoyd2

Having same issues.

First- can you give me the torguard internal DNS server ips? I can't find em.

Second - I've submitted a support q "Where are the fastest servers in the US? In the world?"  -I'll post answer here if I get one.

I have found that occasionally i need to change DNS to different* ones to fix connectivity issues but i just rotate between the ones offered inside the windows Torguard client if one starts having issues i switch to one of the other options as for the internal ones i got no clue i just use the ones provided in the client,

but as for what servers are the fastest!?? That is not a simple answer... lol that answer depends on how many people are using the specific IP/Server you are connected to and what they are doing.... so the answer to that would change daily... sometimes i use an IP/Server and i get 100-300mbps on speedtest and the next day that same specific IP/Server might be under higher load and you might get lower speeds it all depends on who else is connected to it and what they are doing ... So the Solution is to change to different IP/Server and find one that's Faster. You can't predict what other people will be doing on the same server your connected to.

There is an Addon you can purchase which gives you access to some 10GB servers.... Those would technically be fastest!... , but otherwise if you do not* have that addon then you would need to connect to an IP and if its slow and under high load you disconnect and reconnect to find a different IP/Server which will hopefully be under less load.

I have been using Wireguard for the past 2-3 months and have been getting a steady 100-300mbps i have not had any issues really, I would imagine if your having issues then maybe something is configured wrong on your end but i have not had any issues at all been steady 100-300mbps everyday for me i have not needed to try other IP's.

3 hours ago, ProfPeterBoyd2 said:

First- can you give me the torguard internal DNS server ips? I can't find em.

Primary: 10.9.0.1

Secondary: 10.8.0.1

3 hours ago, ProfPeterBoyd2 said:

Second - I've submitted a support q "Where are the fastest servers in the US? In the world?"  -I'll post answer here if I get one.

It does not matter for you how fast they are if their specifications are the same, what matters to you is how close it is to the location from where connection is established. The closer, the faster it will be.

On 1/7/2021 at 4:38 AM, ChrisM5G said:

They were around 4-6 Mbps and I got them up to 15 Mbps by changing DNS servers to torguard internal servers but I should be getting 70-90 Mbps. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

It all depends on many factors. Using wireguard should give you those speeds if your ISP provides them, but keep in mind that if you do not use wireguard then you might see other bottle necks when you connect to servers over continents.

Despite that, some networks do work in some case differently with different networks. As example, when I use LTE from specific provider, some networks are very slow, in my case NL servers deliver miserable results where UK IP's deliver full speed, where when I use my cable provider, UK addresses perform not that good anymore and NL gives me full speed. I also experience the same with my streaming IP, where if I access it from my LTE ISP I get quite a full speed, but accessing it over cable delivers a little less.

If you experience such performance drops, then make sure you contacted support to verify if anything is wrong on their side, but from experience from past, it was mostly due to user's config/hardware/isp.