TorGuard

Weird Issues with UK Streaming IP

Rate this question

BeanJr

Question

Hi all, I'm posting on here in the hopes that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. Before anyone says this, I've already reached out to support and talked it over with them. Needless to say, they've insisted that there is nothing wrong on their end, and that it could be my ISP routing the traffic wrong.

So here's what's going on for me. I'm a returning customer. Therefore I have two shiny new IPs (one for the US and one for the UK) - I kinda miss my old ones tbh. The US one works great over WireGuard and OpenVPN. However, I can't say the same about the UK one. Here are some odd issues I'm getting from the UK one while using the above mentioned protocols - WG and OVPN:

- YouTube thinks I'm from the US (no country abbreviation next to the logo like "GB")

- Pages load very slowly

- Speedtest.net can't seem to find an optimal server to run a test on

-traceroute to something like cloudflare (1.1.1.1) doesn't seem to end

- Websites see me coming from my dedicated IP (more on this later)

- There is no "whois" data for my dedicated IP

After all of this, the only thing that seems to work well for me is Netflix.

The above issues were ONLY present on WG and OpenVPN. The moment I switched to something like OpenConnect, my issues suddenly went away. I'll break them down:

- YouTube was now able to correctly assume my location (hooray!)

- Speeds were MUCH better and things actually loaded for me

- Speedtest.net was able to run tests for me (FINALLY!) but it showed me coming from a different IP (I assume it was the pool/server IP that TG is using)

- Whois returns a wealth of data about the IP I'm coming from.

The fact that after these two tests, I seem to be transmitting two different IPs. This seems very sus and I don't believe I've ever had this issue before. 

So I'm asking everyone here: Have YOU had this issue? Right now, my solution is to just use openconnect, and forget about WG and OpenVPN for my UK IP.

It's been less than a few hours since I re-registered and got my IPs, so who knows? Maybe things will change in the next 24-48 hours, maybe they won't.

• Like 1

11 answers to this question

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing major issues with UK streaming IPs. Doesn't matter if I'm using OpenVPN or WireGuard, it's always very slow. Someone at TorGuard should be looking into this more closely. I was told off by support and they insisted there was nothing wrong with their servers. The throughput is broken somehow and the server is configured for half duplex traffic shaping. Auth takes ages to go through, and no other server does this.

yes I did have problem like yours mine was I was in Dubai with my UK one, but not when I as seeing  Netflix, ITV and iPlayer, alle page did come in Arab so like you I changes to open and it was fix now I am in the UK on all pages  

Wow, i'm glad I'm not the only one. @Support, could you explain why this is an issue for some people? I've been told time and again from your support team that there's "nothing wrong" with the servers.

Frank2020

I have a similar problem with my US Cogent IP. With OpenVpn everything works as it should be but with wireguard CBS all access thinks I am in Canada and Philo gives me an out of country message. Other services like Netflix or Peacock work fine. I use a router.

After some further investigating and even acquiring a couple new IPs for a second subscription, I can confirm that this issue is in fact (at least for me) isolated to UK streaming IPs. I guess I will just have to accept the fact that I'll only be able to use the UK IP for Netflix, but that I would have to remember to switch over to either my US one or use an anonymous server if I want to browse the web with full speeds. 

• Like 1
Brainbleach

Your location should be pulled from your IP address only,  unless you have other location settings turned on.  Are you guys running windows as your OS? 

I whole-heartedly agree with this. I remember when I used to be able to mindlessly use my streaming IP for general use and didn't experience speed issues. But now, I'd be lucky to get good speeds, even on UDP 443, using the lowest encryption possible for OpenVPN. I even bought a 2nd package to see if I just got a bad batch. But sadly, I am in the same situation no matter what. Speeds are decent on Netflix, but every time I want to browse the web in general or use internet-based applications on my computer, I always have to remember to disconnect from my streaming IP and go with an anonymous one, or my US-based one at least.

I don't know if it helps, but my UK streaming IP seams to work just fine. Speedtest gives me up to 500 Mbit/s (I have a Gigabit connection) with Wireguard and most websites load normally. BBC iPlayer and Netflix both also work just fine.

And yes, I also have some "Whois" websites not showing me data about my IP, but isn't that the point of the streaming IP? They are suppose to be "less known" so streaming services have a much harder job to "detect" those IP ranges as VPN. Of course loading websites should still work.

Brainbleach

This is very strange indeed.  I'm using my UK streaming IP right now to make this post.  I don't get the absolute best speeds from it but it's enough to watch BBC and do general surfing of the web at the same time.  Your streaming IP should allow to do just about anything online except torrenting.