TorGuard

using 2 routers

Rate this question

Smalldady01

Question

Smalldady01

I have a rooter provided by my ISP which is my main rooter, I have a second rooter (Nighthawk running dd-wrt) and I want to connect it to my main rooter so that I can use either VPN protected IP through the nighthawk or unprotected IP through my isp provided rooter, what do I need to do? Very lost. 

1 answer to this question

4 minutes ago, Smalldady01 said:

I have a rooter provided by my ISP which is my main rooter, I have a second rooter (Nighthawk running dd-wrt) and I want to connect it to my main rooter so that I can use either VPN protected IP through the nighthawk or unprotected IP through my isp provided rooter, what do I need to do? Very lost. 

Hello, start first with simple things like to define your network.

1. What is your DNS server
  2. What is your gateway
  3. What is your DHCP server (and if you have one at all)

After you have set those, then you can do the rest, but remember that if you have DNS/DHCP server, it should be only one in your network.

I normally tend to use ISP's only as a gateway and disable dhcp/dns on it which I would use in current case for your Nighthawk.

1. Set your Nighthawk with static IP and make sure it work
  2. Disable DHCP server on your ISP's router
  3. Enable DHCP server on your Nighthawk

By that you have now 2 routers, one is a gateway and the other one is your local networks dhcp/dns/vpn server.

What you should take care about is if you reset/reflash routeres, as ISP's might have enabled DHCP. In case that you forget it and suddenly do not get assigned IP, then set it manually and it should work.

When all of it is set, then start setting your VPN up according to your setup. I've written a guide for openwrt, on nighthawk one can use wireguard too but I have no clue about how good it works with DD-Wrt and which additional steps are required because I simply do not have this device for ability to test it. By that, I probaby can't help you then that much with your further setup, but with above suggestion you have all routers and devices in one network.

Also not sure about ddwrt, but in openwrt you can easily set your wan port as switch, which in your case would be useful, then you connect your ISP on any of its ports (best is always first) and on WAN port on your Nighthawk.

For VPN, there should be enough guides around and if you still do not manage to get it to work, maybe best if you write to support so that they  can guide you through and give you some links. If it fails too, then ask here once again ;)