TorGuard

TG Android Client v1.59.0

Support

Question

17 answers to this question

Here some feedbacks:

- Android 10 and Androind 9 tested, all tested servers work including stream IP.

- switch from WLAN to LTE works (takes maybe few seconds by feeling until reconnected which is more than acceptable)

- switch from LTE to WLAN works (feels like immediately)

- geopositioning and switching in untrusted network works

- port forwarding works

- I still get higher perfomance with original wireguard client, I tested it on 150Mbits connection, but this is very nice for mobile use when you quickly need to connect to some non set server with wireguard. Currently both installed, will use for few days TG Client to see how it runs

- Will have to let it run to see how the battery performs compared to wireguard client which is quite nice too if one keeps its connection active, then no change required at all

All in all it looks to me like very stable, saw no glitches or bugs, but I can say already now, good work ;)

• Like 1
Support
23 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

Here some feedbacks:

- Android 10 and Androind 9 tested, all tested servers work including stream IP.

- switch from WLAN to LTE works (takes maybe few seconds by feeling until reconnected which is more than acceptable)

- switch from LTE to WLAN works (feels like immediately)

- geopositioning and switching in untrusted network works

- port forwarding works

- I still get higher perfomance with original wireguard client, I tested it on 150Mbits connection, but this is very nice for mobile use when you quickly need to connect to some non set server with wireguard. Currently both installed, will use for few days TG Client to see how it runs

- Will have to let it run to see how the battery performs compared to wireguard client which is quite nice too if one keeps its connection active, then no change required at all

All in all it looks to me like very stable, saw no glitches or bugs, but I can say already now, good work ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Of course we are always looking to improve so your feedback is appreciated.

clark9041

Tested on 2 Android 9 Nvidia Shields, with Ethernet connection openvpn 200Mbits out of 220 Mbits with Wireguard 80 to 100 Mbits, with wifi on Amazon Firestick 4k, openvpn 120Mbits Wireguard 30 to 40 Mbits, so at the moment Wireguard is not working very good at all 

Its great that wireguard has finally been released for Android. Its definitely faster than the previous wireguard implementation (using the wireguard app). However, I seem to notice that openvpn for me is still faster compared to wireguard. On openvpn I can get about 300mbps, and on wireguard is about 240mbps. One minor issue I found with the app is that the disable button seems to have some delay, similar to the windows client. On the older clients like 1.58.4, it would just disable when I press it, but now it takes awhile.

1 hour ago, kx9134 said:

Its great that wireguard has finally been released for Android. Its definitely faster than the previous wireguard implementation (using the wireguard app). However, I seem to notice that openvpn for me is still faster compared to wireguard. On openvpn I can get about 300mbps, and on wireguard is about 240mbps. One minor issue I found with the app is that the disable button seems to have some delay, similar to the windows client. On the older clients like 1.58.4, it would just disable when I press it, but now it takes awhile.

Wireguard client achieves on android far better speeds than torguard client for now and can be used without any issues as there is no expiration of connection anymore, if you are not permanently switching and want to compare for yourself how your device performs with wireguard, then you will get much better results.

I assume you tested openvpn with TG client and just reported that openvpn protocol works with current release and openvpn.

TG Client delivers me currently with wireguard 20%-40% of what wireguard client delivers.

1 hour ago, 19807409 said:

Wireguard client achieves on android far better speeds than torguard client for now and can be used without any issues as there is no expiration of connection anymore, if you are not permanently switching and want to compare for yourself how your device performs with wireguard, then you will get much better results.

I assume you tested openvpn with TG client and just reported that openvpn protocol works with current release and openvpn.

TG Client delivers me currently with wireguard 20%-40% of what wireguard client delivers.

Not sure how you got such performance. It's personally slower for me unless I'm on my rooted phone. Only then I'm getting about 25% improvement in speeds compared to tg wg client. Apparently there's something to do with the wire guard app settings. The kernel backend module thing. My main phone can't enable this. Probably that's why I feel this way

36 minutes ago, kx9134 said:

Not sure how you got such performance. It's personally slower for me unless I'm on my rooted phone.

I actually confirmed that TG client using wireguard is slower than android client, where TG client with wireguard gives me 25%-50% of what original wireguard client achieves, which is around 90-95% of what ISP offers.

38 minutes ago, kx9134 said:

It's personally slower for me unless I'm on my rooted phone

My tests were done with andoird 9 and android 10 (my first reply in current thread), testing now since 24 hours TG client on a non rooted device, P30 Pro which is strong enough to deliver easily ISP's offered bandwith. Battery usage is also still higher than of wireguard's app, however, this could vary from device to device as some devices had issues with wireguard client and power usage.

40 minutes ago, kx9134 said:

My main phone can't enable this

What exactly can't it enable? You can not use TG client or wireguard client or none of both?

43 minutes ago, kx9134 said:

Apparently there's something to do with the wire guard app settings

I guess you mean TG client's wireguard settings or?

Wireguard sources are publicly available, TG client as closed source is not. I did not debug it on my android for the lack of time, but would think that this question can be replied after one see a debug log or after TorGuards fixes or if info about it gets publicly available.

However, good that it is released now, more for the reasons of finally having some "stable" api which one can use, that is for me more important. TG Client on other side offers me even with 25-50% performance compared flexibility to switch quickly servers if I need it, and most LTE connections today are fast enough to even finish this task. For my usage it is more than enough, but those who use only TG client will maybe have to wait some short time for first update fixing known issues, I guess with next update wireguard performance will be higher.

Ok, so I basically use my stock pixel 3 as my everyday phone. Using TG app, I cant get as good speeds with WG as with OpenVPN. However, testing WG in TG app, I am getting better performance than with the WG app itself.

On my older rooted galaxy s8, I get improvement using the WG app as compared to using the TG app.

I attribute this difference in performance between my stock pixel 3 and my rooted s8 using the WG app to the settings in the WG app. With root, I can get more settings on the WG app than without root. One major difference in the settings I can see is choosing between userspace and kernel module backend on the rooted s8. Testing between these 2 settings, I can reproduce the slower speeds on userspace mode that is the current ONLY option on the stock pixel 3. The kernel module backend on the rooted s8 is only available because I have root and probably a "VPN supported" kernel.

Based on these observations I have, I can conclude, at least in my case, that wg on the TG app is better for me, as compared to the wg app. However this is not the case with a rooted s8 running on the kernel module backend, which actually gives better speed on the wg app, supporting your observations.

19 hours ago, kx9134 said:

Ok, so I basically use my stock pixel 3 as my everyday phone. Using TG app, I cant get as good speeds with WG as with OpenVPN. However, testing WG in TG app, I am getting better performance than with the WG app itself.

I experienced the same when I tested openvpn, but the difference to openvpn was quite marginal back then.

I attribute this difference in performance between my stock pixel 3 and my rooted s8 using the WG app to the settings in the WG app. With root, I can get more settings on the WG app than without root.

Which android version is on your SGS8? Did you test with Android 8 or with Android 9?

If you look up wireguard android on github, you can find:

This is an Android GUI for WireGuard. It opportunistically uses the kernel implementation, and falls back to using the non-root userspace implementation.

there a link to android_kernel. Do you use Method A/B with your rooted devices and if, then which?

Userspace implementation is in go and for sure can't have same performance, but its still better than nothing for device without kernel support, there are still alot devices with kernel<3, all your devices should actually support wireguard.

With root, I can get more settings on the WG app than without root

It would be helpful if you can write the difference (or maybe screenshot). I for now did not test it on any phone with root, but can imagine that as root few more things are visible/greyed out, but for performance I would think it does not really matter if wireguard is integrated in your rom if it achieves max speed of your ISP. I did not really dip into this topic for now, was just testing for 24 for the difference and I clearly can say that wireguard app works with quite higher perfomance. On LTE, both perform quite bad and I think this is due to currently bad connection, meaning that the test has actually no value. Over stable 300Mbits fiber connection, wireguard android gets easily on stable 150Mbits, where with TorGuard APP same device on that same connection and location achieves around 60Mbits. The higher the speed, the higher the difference in percentage, as example, on bad LTE connection having max 60 with wireguard android, I get around 34 with TorGuard App.

I see here 2 issues:

1. TorGuard APP might somehow have somewhere a bottleneck or restriction
  2. Wireguard APP is faster on following tested devices: Huawei M3, M5, P9-Lite, P10-Lite, P20-Lite, P30-Pro, P40Pro. M3,M5,P9,P10 are quite close by results, p30 and p40 perform here better mainly due to better cpu/wlan/lte hardware, but all of them get higher speeds with wireguard than openvpn.
  3. Both actually do not deliver the expected speed
  4. TorGuards same server tested on same fiber location/network reaches with my desktop pc 294Mbits, meaning that TorGuards server has no performance issues at all and can be excluded.

I can reproduce the slower speeds on userspace mode that is the current ONLY option on the stock pixel 3

Have you tried integrating it to ROM?

Based on these observations I have, I can conclude, at least in my case, that wg on the TG app is better for me, as compared to the wg app. However this is not the case with a rooted s8 running on the kernel module backend, which actually gives better speed on the wg app, supporting your observations.

Thanks for observations and reporting.

I am not well-versed in the rooting world. I just install roms based on the latest samsung patches (android 9) and a custom kernel on my s8 cause the stock from samsung is pretty bad for me. I constantly see people that develop custom kernels mentioned support for VPN/wireguard. I have a feeling that the wireguard app requires root privilege to use kernel module. Because on my custom kernel I was unable to use the kernel module option until I got magisk installed. At that time I already had the vpn/wireguard support kernel. If you were able to determine the appropriate commands needed to give wg app root privilege, you could use adb to grant it and enable the kernel module.

I do not use either method A/B. The method I use is mentioned above. But I guess the person compiling the kernel probably used method A. 

On PC, I just use the TG client. Im only able to get 50-60% of my connection speed most of the time. I have gigabit so it may be limitations on TG's end after a certain speed.

This is the settings for my rooted s8. Currently running on the kernel module. You can see another setting that says install command line tools. I did this and wg on the tg app is now comparable to the wg app for rooted phones. YMMV. I've got only this rooted phone to test on so my observations might be only applicable to me.

Screenshot_20201031-213125_WireGuard.jpg

1 hour ago, James8078 said:

i cant use my dedicated ip in android app?

Why not? Just go to the settings to add in. For the wireguard port put it to 1443

@kx9134 thanks for a screenshot. If you look up, there are different kernels already and it might happen that some companies like Samsung or Huawei push updates for their OS's with included support on pre android 12, that probably can not be known before it happens. Here you can see addition of native support for wireguard.

We will see it all as official release probably with android 12 will, probably be the first official one which will work without requirement to root your device. I think devices with android 12 will be shipped sometime next year. For everybody using lower android version could use custom kernels which can be found on XDA. For most people rooting their device is not acceptable option, especially if they use as example a device provided by a company which prohibits it.

on non rooted device with go userspace backend v0.0.20200320 (which is currently latest available on store), following is not available which is to your rooted device:

• Restore on boot
  • Allow multiple simulataneous tunnels
  • Install command line tools
  • Disable kernel module backend
13 hours ago, kx9134 said:

I am not well-versed in the rooting world. I just install roms based on the latest samsung patches (android 9) and a custom kernel on my s8 cause the stock from samsung is pretty bad for me. I constantly see people that develop custom kernels mentioned support for VPN/wireguard. I have a feeling that the wireguard app requires root privilege to use kernel module. Because on my custom kernel I was unable to use the kernel module option until I got magisk installed. At that time I already had the vpn/wireguard support kernel. If you were able to determine the appropriate commands needed to give wg app root privilege, you could use adb to grant it and enable the kernel module.

I probably could write, but it makes no sense, as you do not want to play and maybe brick your device but to use it for something and as you say, you are not in that world meaning that any update/upgrade which you do could cause some malfunction or simply be incompatible with your device. That is why it is better to use already known and trusted releases of custom (if you can trust them). In general, if it is about trust, companies like google and apple, both companies do abuse it and if you jailbreak/root your device, then you do not really change the ability of those companies spying on you, but you might also not get latest updates preventing other spying on you as well as it could include some backdoor from other entities, like current nonsense about pushing out Huawei from markets by extortion, beside that story is quite a lot, but if one would think that gov. does not have required access to those devices, then with custom firmware you would probably have ability to implant whatever you require. This fact could speak very well for some very skilled devs to release custom firmwares too.

In general, using a smartphone you are already being spied on, so far one cares about privacy/security, no matter if rooted or not, there is none with android or apple that is why you probably should be careful in choice of custom kernels and you should be also careful with positive reviews about it.

Another problem with rooted device for people who use it daily and it is in their property, it is that many are dependant on their devices and those applications, but with rooted device any properly developed banking app does not launch because device is rooted.

I do not use either method A/B. The method I use is mentioned above. But I guess the person compiling the kernel probably used method A.

Sorry, I though you compiled it by yourself, that is why the question, it does not matter if A/B if it works, I would prefer method B.

On PC, I just use the TG client. Im only able to get 50-60% of my connection speed most of the time. I have gigabit so it may be limitations on TG's end after a certain speed.

500-600Mbit/s is actually lower than I would expect it to be. Few years ago when I tests it on 10Gbit dual (10Gbit upload/10Gbit down), I could reach with openconnect speed from 700-1000Mbit/s with closest shared servers (around 10Km away). Do you get over 900Mbit/s with speed-/iperf tests without VPN? Does your ISP provide full speed as well as you can locally test your lan ports with iperf what speed they achieve within your network (you can do it easily with iperf3/2). If your lan ports give over 900, your ISP over 900 and your pc's cpu is not exhausted during your VPN connection tests reaching only 50-60% would mean to me that the problem could be performance issue on torguard server. I do believe all shared servers have 1Gbit/s connections, but official reply from Support could maybe help you out.

Also, some networks do work better with some other network due to infrastructure etc.. , make sure you connect to closest server to you and test few of them if possible. You can use nslookup domain to check all available IP's under the domain/country you try to connect.

Just a general comment I'm still getting subpar speeds using the Canadian networks on my Nvidia shield I have gigabit Internet and most of  the time I get in the range of 75 to 85 sometimes it gets as high as 95 but that's about it sometimes It gets as low as high 60s as shown in the screenshot below and these speeds are with wire guard and without a VPN I average In the high 800s as shown in the second screenshot 

Photo on 2020-12-01 at 1.20 PM.jpg

Photo on 2020-12-01 at 2.12 PM.jpg

Edited by DRAGON519
Because I added more information