TorGuard

Super slow downloads...WHY?

Rate this question

Question

I am using the Anonymous BitTorrent Proxy and am super frustrated because the download speeds I get are about 1/10th what I get when I do not use the TorGuard proxy. I have checked this several times and, for example, the file I am downloading right now with the proxy enabled is downloading at approx. 105Kbps...but when I disabled the anonymous proxy and downloaded the identical file a few minutes later, my DL speed was 1100Kbps (1.1Mbps). I tested this with about 5 different downloads and got basically the same results. I must be doing something wrong, since I can't believe that such slow download speeds are typical/acceptable for this service (actually, on several downloads I tested, the DL speed stayed around 30-50Kbps much of the time!!).

I am pretty sure I have it setup properly, since I was able to use the checkMyTorrentIp.png file which displays my IP address as correctly anonymous.

I am using BitTorrent 7.9 (Build 30751)

Thanks in advance for any help!! Andrew

5 answers to this question

Support

Hello Andrew

Sorry to hear your having some troubles with the proxy, a good indicator of the b/w available would be to download this ubuntu torrent:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu-12.04.4-alternate-amd64.iso.torrent

Have you checked the tracker sources and checked to see if all trackers are connecting or some are timing out ? if so are the UDP ones timing out and only HTTP trackers working ?

Regards

So if I get the

ubuntu link to download right away and my other torrents aren't downloading then what would the problem be? I dual boot windows and MAC, on my windows uTorrent I can download perfectly fine, but now I'm on my MAC side and it wont download anything but that ubuntu file. PASS/USERNAME are spot on. What else do I look for? I even used the auto torrent setup provided in the downloads section.

Support
I'm having the same exact problem, however, I would prefer to use uTorrent...

Is there a fix for this yet?

Hi the problem with UDP is not our problem, its actually utorrents/bittorrents problem - we accept UDP and TCP over socks5 but there support for it is very poor.

If using only HTTP trackers then it should work fine in those programs otherwise we recommend vuze.

Regards