TorGuard

TG Android Client v1.58.4

Support

Question

Support

=== Release v1.58.4, 2020-10-02-

-Substitute the "Server IP lookup" option for our DNS cache mechanism for better stability
- Add new options "Refresh DNS cache when connected" and "Clear DNS cache"
- Bug fix: if the authentication fails while the app is in background,

Downloads

17 answers to this question

JasonG86
On 10/20/2020 at 5:38 AM, Support said:

=== Release v1.58.4, 2020-10-02-

-Substitute the "Server IP lookup" option for our DNS cache mechanism for better stability
- Add new options "Refresh DNS cache when connected" and "Clear DNS cache"
- Bug fix: if the authentication fails while the app is in background,

Downloads

I see the downloads for android say version 1.59.0 and have today’s date with link but when clicking it I still see version 1.58.4. Is it coming out today?

51 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

I see the downloads for android say version 1.59.0 and have today’s date with link but when clicking it I still see version 1.58.4. Is it coming out today?

Try the link for TorGuard Android App - APK Direct Link, that one works for a direct download of 1.59.0 and is the same signature that will eventually be uploaded to both google and amazon app stores. 

JasonG86
35 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Try the link for TorGuard Android App - APK Direct Link, that one works for a direct download of 1.59.0 and is the same signature that will eventually be uploaded to both google and amazon app stores. 

Thanks. It worked but I was expecting it to have wireguard with the update. I guess it will come later in the week according to the other forums. 

Support
7 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

Thanks. It worked but I was expecting it to have wireguard with the update. I guess it will come later in the week according to the other forums. 

Wireguard is in this build, just change the VPN Tunnel menu to wireguard - Google Play is currently reviewing the app and hopefully should go live in the play store today, same with the amazon build, today, tomorrow at the very latest

Regards

JasonG86
2 minutes ago, Support said:

Wireguard is in this build, just change the VPN Tunnel menu to wireguard.

Regards

Version shows 1.59.0 but vpn tunnel only shows openvpn as an option. I was trying it on firestick since you can download android on it. I guess that is the issue? Just very anxious to get wireguard working on this device lol

Support
Just now, JasonG86 said:

Version shows 1.59.0 but vpn tunnel only shows openvpn as an option. I was trying it on firestick since you can download android on it. I guess that is the issue? Just very anxious to get wireguard working on this device lol

Understood, if you tap/click the vpn tunnel option there should be a menu - let me know if you see it.

Regards

JasonG86
1 minute ago, Support said:

Understood, if you tap/click the vpn tunnel option there should be a menu - let me know if you see it.

Regards

I tap it and only openvpn shows. Anyone else having this issue? I’m tech savvy and don’t see it

32 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

I tap it and only openvpn shows. Anyone else having this issue? I’m tech savvy and don’t see it

I had that issue on my ShieldTV and figured out it was because I was using dedicated servers I previously set up and I needed to add the WireGuard port to the servers I had already saved.

Go into Torguard Settings --> Servers, then click on any dedicated IPs you have saved and add the WireGuard Port which is 1443.  Click OK then head back to the main page.

Navigate to the VPN Tunnel option and change from OpenVPN to Wireguard.

Hopefully your issue was like mine and is easily solved. 

JasonG86
5 minutes ago, Kratos said:

I had that issue on my ShieldTV and figured out it was because I was using dedicated servers I previously set up and I needed to add the WireGuard port to the servers I had already saved.

Go into Torguard Settings --> Servers, then click on any dedicated IPs you have saved and add the WireGuard Port which is 1443.  Click OK then head back to the main page.

Navigate to the VPN Tunnel option and change from OpenVPN to Wireguard.

Hopefully your issue was like mine and is easily solved. 

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t using any dedicated IPs so i figured that wireguard should be an option upon opening the app. Works on iOS fine. 

10 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t using any dedicated IPs so i figured that wireguard should be an option upon opening the app. Works on iOS fine. 

Interesting... Another suggestion is to force closing the app and clearing data.  

Although, now that I think of it, which version of the FireStick are you using?  Wireguard requires Android 7.0 and above.  Some FireTV sticks are still stuck on Android 5.0

JasonG86
29 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Interesting... Another suggestion is to force closing the app and clearing data.  

Although, now that I think of it, which version of the FireStick are you using?  Wireguard requires Android 7.0 and above.  Some FireTV sticks are still stuck on Android 5.0

I believe that is it. My firestick is running fire is 5.2.7.6

1 hour ago, JasonG86 said:

I believe that is it. My firestick is running fire is 5.2.7.6

That's unfortunate, if I remember correct, Android 7 started with Fire OS 6 so the FireStick 4K or the newer ones released this year should be compatible. 

JasonG86
51 minutes ago, Kratos said:

That's unfortunate, if I remember correct, Android 7 started with Fire OS 6 so the FireStick 4K or the newer ones released this year should be compatible. 

Will that still be the case when they come out with the firestick version as well?

57 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

Will that still be the case when they come out with the firestick version as well?

I'm not sure to be honest.  The official wireguard app minimum android version is 5.0, so there would have to be some valid reason why TG is only supporting android 7 and up for now.

I gave up trying to get the app to work consistently on our FireTV stick 4K and just run the vpn on my router/firewall for those specific devices. 

JasonG86
2 hours ago, Kratos said:

I'm not sure to be honest.  The official wireguard app minimum android version is 5.0, so there would have to be some valid reason why TG is only supporting android 7 and up for now.

I gave up trying to get the app to work consistently on our FireTV stick 4K and just run the vpn on my router/firewall for those specific devices. 

Did not work on firestick. Found the updated version in App Store. Really bummed, was looking forward to wireguard. 

38 minutes ago, JasonG86 said:

Did not work on firestick. Found the updated version in App Store. Really bummed, was looking forward to wireguard. 

Bummer... what you could do as an alternative is try the native Wireguard app from Fdroid or sideload it from ApkMirror.  It's Android TV compatible so it should work ok with a remote.

Fdroid: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.wireguard.android/

ApkMirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/?s=com.wireguard.android&post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk

Then generate a wireguard config with the Torguard Configurator here: https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-openvpnconfig

The only important things missing are auto start on boot and selective exclusion for apps.

JasonG86
35 minutes ago, Kratos said:

Bummer... what you could do as an alternative is try the native Wireguard app from Fdroid or sideload it from ApkMirror.  It's Android TV compatible so it should work ok with a remote.

Fdroid: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.wireguard.android/

ApkMirror: https://www.apkmirror.com/?s=com.wireguard.android&post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk

Then generate a wireguard config with the Torguard Configurator here: https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-openvpnconfig

The only important things missing are auto start on boot and selective exclusion for apps.

Thanks for help. Honestly I might just go to another provider.