TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Nemaco

Simple, Dumb N00b question

Rate this topic

Nemaco

Well, I'm not quite a noob, but it's one of those questions I probably should know, but never got round to asking, if you know what I mean.

Say I connect to one of Torguard's VPN servers using OpenVPN or Wireguard or whatever. For example, I connect to one of Torguard's Australian servers using OpenVPN, say 137.59.253.200. Can the ISP I'm using to connect to this server transparently see that I'm connecting to 137.59.253.200 and the port I'm connecting on, or does OpenVPN find a way to obscure this in some way?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Nemaco said:

Can the ISP I'm using to connect to this server transparently see that I'm connecting to 137.59.253.200 and the port I'm connecting on

Not sure what you mean with transparently, but yes, your ISP does know it. Under your account settings, you can find and enable SSH which you can use for connecting to your VPN.

Data however is encrypted and your ISP can not see what the content is or which protocol is used (not for all protocols). In some countries, govs can control and decrypt some vpn protocols but that will probably never get out as public info as it mostly is connected to the security of the country and so on.

In general, doesn't matter which proxies or SSH you use, you will still not be hidden in case that gov looks for you. Here is why many put importance to no log policy, as if you are tracked by connections which are done from your pc to whatever endpoint they inspected, then at least no logs will be present.

What one can do is to use countries with which your gov might not cooperate, making it harder to track you as no info might be provided.

However, all of that does not save one if you do crime, as most govs cooperate with each other when it is about crime, VPN will not save you here.