Support

TorGuard Client v4.1.3

Rate this question

Question

Support

Release torguard-v4.1.3, 2020-10-02
===================================

- All platforms: solved crash when WireGuard interface disappears
    WireGuard interface could disappear if other applications,  for example the official Wireguard app, are working on the same interface
- All platforms: automatically reconnect when WireGuard interface disappears
- Windows: solved crash after hibernation when WireGuard is used
- Windows: fix problem when checking TAP driver on connection phase in Windows 7
- Linux: solve linkage problems on some Linux distributions
     The problem was preventing Torguard to connect when OpenVPN was used

Downloads

18 answers to this question

zerotikin
14 hours ago, Support said:

Release torguard-v4.1.3, 2020-10-02
===================================

- All platforms: solved crash when WireGuard interface disappears
    WireGuard interface could disappear if other applications,  for example the official Wireguard app, are working on the same interface
- All platforms: automatically reconnect when WireGuard interface disappears
- Windows: solved crash after hibernation when WireGuard is used
- Windows: fix problem when checking TAP driver on connection phase in Windows 7
- Linux: solve linkage problems on some Linux distributions
     The problem was preventing Torguard to connect when OpenVPN was used

Downloads

I keep getting connection errors even new version 

https://imgur.com/a/3PgcNLa

bQ1rxE9 - Imgur.jpg

zerotikin
12 hours ago, zerotikin said:

I keep getting connection errors even new version 

https://imgur.com/a/3PgcNLa

bQ1rxE9 - Imgur.jpg

Resolved using this procedure

Hi,

Thank you for recent message !

Please click More Settings-> on Torguard app
Then Network tab
Make sure the “block outside DNS” box is unchecked ( Windows Only )
Check “ Refresh Local DNS cache and click both Refresh cache and Clean Cache buttons.
Uncheck – Look up server hostname when connecting
Under " Use these Nameservers section " Set " When VPN connected" to Google while leaving the first 2 as none.
Set System DNS to Google
DNS state recovery to auto recover
Click Save and then reboot app.

Once rebooted ,please test again.

ondrovic

So as soon as I launch the new version of TorGuard (4.20 at the time of writing this) I cannot connect to the internet (this isn't connected or trying to connect this is opening the application it self) So none of the above methods are working. 

Support
39 minutes ago, ondrovic said:

So as soon as I launch the new version of TorGuard (4.20 at the time of writing this) I cannot connect to the internet (this isn't connected or trying to connect this is opening the application it self) So none of the above methods are working. 

This is what happens when the kill switch is enabled under more settings --> network tab to prevent leaks if the vpn disconnects.

Either disable this option, close the app completely or connect to the VPN.

Regards

ondrovic
5 minutes ago, Support said:

This is what happens when the kill switch is enabled under more settings --> network tab to prevent leaks if the vpn disconnects.

Either disable this option, close the app completely or connect to the VPN.

Regards

Thanks that fixed the launch but now I am getting a reconnection loop

zerotikin

Even in the new version, I can't make a connection, it keeps crashing giving error

Wireguard: Cloud not connect do VPN Server:  SSl handshake Failure 

Only Brazil 1 and 2 server does not work

https://imgur.com/a/mqR6jMC

brigand13

What did you guys do to the app?

I've tried the fix above, works on my Asus does not work on my HP. Had the same settings forever on that HP and suddenly its NFG? And now support is saying turn the kill switch off to get it to connect to VPN? Must use Google DNS and no other? If that's the case now I think I'm done with TORguard. Been with you guys for years what the hell is this? I'm getting the same loops as described above on some systems. Fresh install works but only with kill switch off and using the specific settings support layed out on others. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind use a VPN with the killswitch off? Seriously fix this or I'll be looking for a new provider.

Update: After more tinkering, looks like even the settings support put forward above, on a fresh install, still does not work on some systems. WTF

Support
24 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

What did you guys do to the app?

I've tried the fix above, works on my Asus does not work on my HP. Had the same settings forever on that HP and suddenly its NFG? And now support is saying turn the kill switch off to get it to connect to VPN? Must use Google DNS and no other? If that's the case now I think I'm done with TORguard. Been with you guys for years what the hell is this? I'm getting the same loops as described above on some systems. Fresh install works but only with kill switch off and using the specific settings support layed out on others. Why the hell would anyone in their right mind use a VPN with the killswitch off? Seriously fix this or I'll be looking for a new provider.

Update: After more tinkering, looks like even the settings support put forward above, on a fresh install, still does not work on some systems. WTF

If you are running a HP PC then disable the HP LAN Switching Service - it will cause no connectivity when connecting - LanWlanWwanSwitchingServiceUWP

Let us know if this resolves your problem.

Support
2 hours ago, ondrovic said:

Thanks that fixed the launch but now I am getting a reconnection loop

Is this for all locations?

brigand13
50 minutes ago, Support said:

If you are running a HP PC then disable the HP LAN Switching Service - it will cause no connectivity when connecting - LanWlanWwanSwitchingServiceUWP

Let us know if this resolves your problem.

dude no. You made an update that is making TORguard too complicated to use and really making it unsecured with having to turn kill switch off.

For the last several years this issue has not existed for me on HP systems. Now you are telling me as of this week I have to turn off things like LANSwitching,  kill switch, and can only use Google DNS. and have different settings dependent on the brand of system? This was never the case before and is pretty ridiculous. 

I have used TorGuard for literally years on HP devices and never had to go tinkering like this to get it to function. Your also making some huge assumptions that the average user could even find such a setting to get this to work. Seriously, I don't have the time to re-config everything I have on every system to get it to work. Either this goes back to being in essence a plug and play service as it was or I will switch to a different provider. Even then if I cant use the kill switch anymore I'm still going to switch. This update is a huge disappointment. I've used TORguard for its ease of use, I'm not about to go turning off services like kill switch that I need. That alone defeats the entire purpose of a VPN imo.

In essence, I am not changing any settings that worked a week ago or for the last several years, settings that make my connection more secure. If you cant make it work then you don't leave me much of a choice as TORguard is no longer providing a service I can use.

@Support is this issue exclusive for windows, do you know?

17 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

You made an update that is making TORguard too complicated to use and really making it unsecured with having to turn kill switch off.

I am now not aware what the default setting is, is the switch off or on? How is the update complicated? I fail to understand it. Can you be more precise?

18 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

For the last several years this issue has not existed for me on HP systems

Since many years HP has quite big issues with their HP soft on windows. In many cases its HP's soft preventing you in something and their HP connection manager as every other network soft product was so buggy that most companies stopped installing it. HP is also not very customer oriented and drops quickly support where on OS upgrade its kinda really little chance that HP soft will work. As if you go and ask HP about how to resolve those issues, you might get support in telling you to uninstall all and reinstall for nothing just to get then next advice to delete/edit entries in windows registry.

22 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

and can only use Google DNS

This is not correct, I do not use google DNS anywhere. I cant read that support told here that you could use only google dns, but can you tell more about it? I doubt this is correct.

23 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

Your also making some huge assumptions that the average user could even find such a setting to get this to work.

Then one might assume that it is to much to expect from a user to find a power button on a pc. TorGuard default settings do actually work.

24 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

Seriously, I don't have the time to re-config everything I have on every system to get it to work

Well, if your system is not properly configured, you will kinda not be able to get around it by not configuring it properly, despite you thinking that HP soft is not disturbing here, you cant blame torguard on that. According to your words, installation does not work, default settings do not work and previously everything, without exclusions worked. TorGuard has very many users, most of them normal PC users who do not mention problems which you have, by that, I strongly assume you have to find the issue in your env and as torguard pointed out, any HP network app can actually play bad with windows and create for you issues without clear error description. For HP software support you probably should seek help from HP and report them about bugs and TorGuard suggesting to disable their Soft because it does break normally expected user friendly use of your HP PC.

If you setup your VPN with original clients like openvpn, openconnect etc.. you will probably never need to change your configs (except wireguard addresses which require api) and those official clients are stable and you will not run into GUI issues or issues because of not updating your TorGuard, on linux, those would be even autoupdated which is currently a function which TorGuard client does not offer.

For the rest, I hope you will get it sorted out with support and that you dont need to waste more time on moving and re-configuring or whatever would cost you more time/money.

brigand13
5 minutes ago, 19807409 said:

@Support is this issue exclusive for windows, do you know?

I am now not aware what the default setting is, is the switch off or on? How is the update complicated? I fail to understand it. Can you be more precise?

Since many years HP has quite big issues with their HP soft on windows. In many cases its HP's soft preventing you in something and their HP connection manager as every other network soft product was so buggy that most companies stopped installing it. HP is also not very customer oriented and drops quickly support where on OS upgrade its kinda really little chance that HP soft will work. As if you go and ask HP about how to resolve those issues, you might get support in telling you to uninstall all and reinstall for nothing just to get then next advice to delete/edit entries in windows registry.

This is not correct, I do not use google DNS anywhere. I cant read that support told here that you could use only google dns, but can you tell more about it? I doubt this is correct.

Then one might assume that it is to much to expect from a user to find a power button on a pc. TorGuard default settings do actually work.

Well, if your system is not properly configured, you will kinda not be able to get around it by not configuring it properly, despite you thinking that HP soft is not disturbing here, you cant blame torguard on that. According to your words, installation does not work, default settings do not work and previously everything, without exclusions worked. TorGuard has very many users, most of them normal PC users who do not mention problems which you have, by that, I strongly assume you have to find the issue in your env and as torguard pointed out, any HP network app can actually play bad with windows and create for you issues without clear error description. For HP software support you probably should seek help from HP and report them about bugs and TorGuard suggesting to disable their Soft because it does break normally expected user friendly use of your HP PC.

If you setup your VPN with original clients like openvpn, openconnect etc.. you will probably never need to change your configs (except wireguard addresses which require api) and those official clients are stable and you will not run into GUI issues or issues because of not updating your TorGuard, on linux, those would be even autoupdated which is currently a function which TorGuard client does not offer.

For the rest, I hope you will get it sorted out with support and that you dont need to waste more time on moving and re-configuring or whatever would cost you more time/money.

1. Check what others are saying. I've never touched that setting. Why do I have to turn it off now? Why do I need to turn network kill switch off? These are important features for a VPN that no longer work with this new version.
2. I am aware of those issues. I've solved them on my systems and have not seen any kind of issue like this ever. HP support is garbage, I don't waste time with that.
3. My bad it was zerotikin that said it, but from what I can see its the only one that works atm. In fact I can only get a connection with his settings and only on my ASUS. Very odd. No idea why and I don't have details because it makes no sense.
4. If Default settings worked, how come after a fresh install on an HP laptop with default it sill does not connect? Again looks like a bad update. Why did the settings that worked on last update now suddenly do not work?
5. Everything was fine until this update from TorGuard for literally years. Its TorGuard, not HP as I am having the same issues on other brands. Whatever though, if it cant be used even plug and play on any system on at least default settings then its really TorGuards problem. I woke up today to find both HP and ASUS refused to connect, even though it would a week ago on the same settings on the previous version.

2 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

I've never touched that setting. Why do I have to turn it off now? Why do I need to turn network kill switch off? These are important features for a VPN that no longer work with this new version.

Well, it is now a good question what happened here. It could be that settings are saved in one folder, normally somewhere in %appdata%. If new new version has some changes it could be the case that existing config is not read correctly, as well as its not only torguard suffering on this, but every software which saves some user specific settings in a file. Thats why I asked if you can specify more precise what it is.

On other side there is QT which might have also own settings saved in specific folder like last dimension, position and so on.

In your case, it does not look like if you have QT issues, but connecting issues which could be again quite a lot things.

One does expect from normal Joe that debugging can be enabled which you can in your TorGuard client. Then you will have a log file which exactly says what is happening and nobody needs to assume, in most cases TorGuard support would be capable of immediately identifying if it is on their product, their infrastracture or if it is user connected (like your OS, HW, etc)

If there is any error, I would assume that TorGuard would be the one who is most interested in resolving it as quickly as possible. I would encourage you to enable debugging in your TG client and send then the log to the support, I am 100% they will quickly sort your issue.

9 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

I've solved them on my systems and have not seen any kind of issue like this ever. HP support is garbage, I don't waste time with that.

Yes, but from experience, I know how HP soft fails to work properly and in almost every case disturbing point was HP soft. I fully agree with you on your opinion about HP support, its not worth wasting time, I just wanted to point out that TorGuard cant fix HP's bugs if there are any at all.

10 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

how come after a fresh install on an HP laptop with default it sill does not connect?

By defintion, for me would be fresh install installation where I actually do use clean folders and have to enter my credentials. Mostly renaming your datadir to anything else does the job and if you dont need your old configs you always can delete it.

It can come easily, as example by openssl upgrade or any other part which might be blocked by your system, firwall, HP rules etc... . Once again, how it comes, we should see it actually exactly only when a log file is available, otherwise one can only assume which equals to not knowing.

13 minutes ago, brigand13 said:

Everything was fine until this update from TorGuard for literally years. Its TorGuard, not HP as I am having the same issues on other brands. Whatever though, if it cant be used even plug and play on any system on at least default settings then its really TorGuards problem. I woke up today to find both HP and ASUS refused to connect, even though it would a week ago on the same settings on the previous version.

It can well be that the problem is on TorGuard and that something is buggy, I never took that possibility out. As addition, it sounds to me that not all checks are done on windows and that configs are not cleaned up, however, torguard might not want to delete/change user configs (I am unware of their approach on that question). I also can confirm your statement that TorGuard worked over years flawless with all operating systems on which I used them. As for brands, its again assumption game, drivers, 3rd party soft as well as operating system, all of it plays role. It could be also very well the case that you use some AV/Firewall soft on all your PC which makes troubles, like lately Kaspersky.

I am using torguard on several devices, from router to pc with TG client and without TG client, all work properly. Maybe TorGuard maintenanced today something, I really would encourage you to enable debug file and send it to support, it really takes you just few minutes then TorGuard also has some proper info of where to look and what is not working as well as ability to help you properly.

Support
16 hours ago, brigand13 said:

dude no. You made an update that is making TORguard too complicated to use and really making it unsecured with having to turn kill switch off.

For the last several years this issue has not existed for me on HP systems. Now you are telling me as of this week I have to turn off things like LANSwitching,  kill switch, and can only use Google DNS. and have different settings dependent on the brand of system? This was never the case before and is pretty ridiculous. 

I have used TorGuard for literally years on HP devices and never had to go tinkering like this to get it to function. Your also making some huge assumptions that the average user could even find such a setting to get this to work. Seriously, I don't have the time to re-config everything I have on every system to get it to work. Either this goes back to being in essence a plug and play service as it was or I will switch to a different provider. Even then if I cant use the kill switch anymore I'm still going to switch. This update is a huge disappointment. I've used TORguard for its ease of use, I'm not about to go turning off services like kill switch that I need. That alone defeats the entire purpose of a VPN imo.

In essence, I am not changing any settings that worked a week ago or for the last several years, settings that make my connection more secure. If you cant make it work then you don't leave me much of a choice as TORguard is no longer providing a service I can use.

Hello,

I wouldn't say torguard was complicated - it may have more options than other providers but the connection process is still the same, select a location --> click connect --> login.

Im not asking you to disable the kill switch, I'm asking you to disable the service I mentioned which has been known to cause problems with many VPN providers whilst enabled, we have always recommended it be disabled to prevent problems. If you have been asked prior to turn off the kill switch or try different DNS then this is only to debug your problem, there are many things that can cause connectivity issues that you experience.

To start fresh simply do the following:

1) Go to more settings --> general tab --> click restore defaults
2) Go to more settings --> network tab --> click clean cache and refresh cache
3) Reinstall the latest build https://torguard.net/downloads.php and retest please (if you haven't already).

Let me know how you go

zerotikin

3 hours ago, Support said:

Hello,

I wouldn't say torguard was complicated - it may have more options than other providers but the connection process is still the same, select a location --> click connect --> login.

Im not asking you to disable the kill switch, I'm asking you to disable the service I mentioned which has been known to cause problems with many VPN providers whilst enabled, we have always recommended it be disabled to prevent problems. If you have been asked prior to turn off the kill switch or try different DNS then this is only to debug your problem, there are many things that can cause connectivity issues that you experience.

To start fresh simply do the following:

1) Go to more settings --> general tab --> click restore defaults
2) Go to more settings --> network tab --> click clean cache and refresh cache
3) Reinstall the latest build https://torguard.net/downloads.php and retest please (if you haven't already).

Let me know how you go

I confirm that the problem has been resolved

Brainbleach

TorGuard works fine on linux :D

Dan_C

why do you have a post about TorGuard Client v4.1.3 pinned, when you can download v4.2.0?

Support
1 hour ago, Dan_C said:

why do you have a post about TorGuard Client v4.1.3 pinned, when you can download v4.2.0?

Ahh its been awfully busy - we have added that - thanks for the heads up. 👍