TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
PeterR

Best way to test VPN status from command-line?

Rate this question

Question

PeterR

My question has two parts:

1) Are there any conditions you can think of where pinging 10.8.0.1 would NOT determine if the VPN is UP? If so, please explain...

2) Is there an easier/better way I have not found yet? Like maybe to ask OpenVPN directly from the command line? If so please share that tidbit of info...

Background:

To date, I have been doing this by using wget to query a webserver to see what my public IP address is. For example:

wget http://mypiracy.net/ -O SomeFileName.html

Note: while the above example is a working method, it still requires that you parse the SomeFileName.html to get the IP address. Personally I am to lazy for that, so I wrote a simple php page, lets call it... IP_ADDR.php, that returns nothing expect the client`s IP.

?= $_SERVER[`REMOTE_ADDR`] ?

so what I actually do is more like

wget http://mysite.net/IP_ADDR.php -O ipaddr.txt
IP_ADDR=`cat ipaddr.txt` 

Which seemed easier than trying to parse the content from the mypiracy.net`s page for the IP. Forgive me for NOT sharing that URL with the world... although, it might be useful if torguard hosted something like that for all to use...just a thought guys;-)

That said, the above method overall is testing a bit more than if the VPN is connected. While that is not all bad, I was wondering if there is more direct method or a way to ask OpenVPN directly. It seems to me that another, somewhat more direct method might be to ping the private subnet gateway. For example, something like:

VPN_STATUS=0
if ping -W 2 -c 1 10.8.0.1 ; then 
VPN_STATUS=1  
fi 

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Support

Hi Peter

Just out of curiosity do you use mainly UDP based connections ?

Regards

PeterR

fyi @ all

Yesterday I had some connection issues as a result of the certificate update on the CA servers. While that was happening, I had varying levels of connectivity where I was connected, then not, then connected but with a bad tls handshake and so on.

While none of the logic I scripted on my router yet depends on it, I have been logging the results. Using

VPN_STATUS=0

if ping -W 2 -c 1 10.8.0.1 ; then

VPN_STATUS=1

fi

as a simple means of checking if the VPN is up, worked perfectly in all states of connection. That is to say it always reported the truth...-;)

Support

Hi Peter

Thats good to hear, i was just curious as i did create a small script to check openvpn UDP (run via cron) to expect a certain reply upon each check which is very accurate at keeping tabs on openvpn.

Sometimes openvpn can run and go stale but will still report thats its running.

Regards