TorGuard

PreFlashed WiFi VPN Router - all are compatible with openwrt, iperf3 with openwrt and original preflashed

Rate this question

Question

Just checked which preflashed routers you offer and saw that there are not many, but all of them are supported by openwrt:

Supported by OpenWrt GL.iNet devices:
- GL-MT300N v1 (stable release, Device Page, Device Techdata)
  - Installation method(s): GUI OEM, U-Boot TFTP + serial recovery, U-Boot web recovery
  - Recovery method(s): U-Boot TFTP + serial recovery, U-Boot web recovery
- GL-MT300A v1.3 (stable release, Device Page, Device Techdata)
  - Installation method(s): GUI OEM, U-Boot TFTP + serial recovery, U-Boot web recovery
  - Recovery method(s): U-Boot TFTP + serial recovery, U-Boot web recovery
- GL-AR750S v1 (stable release, Device Page, Device Techdata)
  - Installation method(s): GUI OEM, see git-commit
  - Recovery method(s): U-Boot TFTP + serial recovery
- GL-S1300 (snapshot, Device Techdata)
  - Installation method(s): see git-commit
  - Recovery method(s): unknown

Looking at their CPU's, MT300 with it's cpu 580 is the weakest but should be capable to get somewhere around 200Mbit/s. AR750S with 775Mhz should achieve over 200Mbit's. Can you make iperf3 test with one of iperf servers, like this one: https://speedtest.wtnet.de/

iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4 -R

for wireguard installation follow the guide for wireguard installation or run simply:

1. ssh to your router:

ssh [email protected] # default for openwrt: 192.168.1.1

2. download helper script and install:

wget -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall && chmod +x /usr/bin/tginstall && tginstall

3. During installation, you will be asked to enter your Username and Password, server. Which are required to retrieve data from torguard API and will be set in /etc/config/torguard, you can check it with:

uci show torguard

4. At the end of wireguard installation, you will be asked if you want to install iperf3 and speedperf script/config, reply yes

5. Run a test, choose closest/fastest server to, you can find all servers in my demo config (you can download and use the script for this config running default server). If you run speedperf, it will test by default udp, tcp, several ports and several times, for more info, check /etc/config/speedperf or run

uci show speedperf

6. Post results here in this thread. If you run speedperf, it additionaly pings the server before a test as well as it shows the geo location of your currently used IP of the router which should be your torguards ip).

I am not sure which image is delivered with those sold routers, but it would be actually very simple for torguard to fork openwrt, change your theme etc.. and build it daily keeping only packages which you want to be included, as example protocols. Having then also release and snapshot. I would like to see also a comparisson of torguards wireguard using stable&snapshot openwrt and original version which you preflash. I think it would be good if torguard can show a table of performance of those devices which are sold on all systems, where I would assume that openwrt snapshot has the latest available packages etc..

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet