TorGuard
stormdragon

It takes multiple connects to actually connect

Rate this question

Question

stormdragon

For some time now whenever I try to connect with Torguard it will fail consistently. I either have to click connect multiple times or switch to another server (which also sometimes takes multiple tries). For testing purposes I have tried US Seattle, US Los Angeles, CA Toronto.

I am currently using v 4.1.2 but this has been an issue now since v 3.9.3.

When I put logging on I do notice the following when it fails:

Peer certificate is trusted.
__thiscall NullTunnelHandler::~NullTunnelHandler(void)
WhatIsMyLocation/doQueryMyLocation: HTTP download progress
WhatIsMyLocation/doQueryMyLocation: HTTP download progress
WhatIsMyLocation/doQueryMyLocation: HTTP request was successful
Authenticating response body of request to "https://updates.torguard.biz/cgi-bin/whatismylocation.pl"
Request was authenticated by the SecureNetworkAccessManager
WhatIsMyLocation/OnSuccess: location= <-- removed entry as it seems private -->
WhatIsMyLocation/doQueryMyLocation: HTTP request aborted
WhatIsMyLocation/doQueryMyLocation: ReplyHandler destroyed
ComInitialize constructor failed, hresult= 80010106

I have gone through uninstall/reinstall but it does not correct the issue.

I am on Windows 10, defender firewall turned off, using ipv4 (ipv6 disabled), and using the Avast AV, which I have put in an exception for Torguard. Even with the AV disabled temporarily does not correct the issue. I am not using wireguard.

The settings for the Torguard connections are OpenConnect and TCP (UDP also has the issue).

Has anyone else encountered this and/or knows how to resolve it?

9 answers to this question

I can confirm something similar with openconnect, but would need to look deeper into logs. Openconnect like you say, since some time already, has issues with connecting/disconnecting. I resolved it back then by simply unmarking "Look ip server hostname before connecting":

grafik.png.ff9210d0a5431a6e622e91afa426aaae.png

hope that helps. Openconnect client (not torguard client) had never those issues with connect/reconnect, thats why I was using openconnect client instead of torguards and did not mess around with it since then.

stormdragon

I looked an it was already unchecked.

image.png.9ca651e53f3c34ecff49fa913975f758.png

I did check on the seamless reconnect (to match your screenshot) and will see if that actually helps or not.

Can you try openconnect client instead of torguard client? This would then indeed confirm that it is TG client bug.

For seamless reconnect, I've disabled it back then because of the reasons you mentioned in your first post, as when I got disconnected (or IP changed, it was with LTE connection), it took sometimes few minutes until it got reconnected (with TG client), where openconnect client running in same network reconnected without issues. Seamless reconnect was unticked and the issue with reconnecting was resolved, since then reconnecting works. All this was with the v3 client.

Did you already send your log to torguard support? If yes, what reply did you get?

RyDze

I have noticed that sometimes i have needed to switch DNS information around for ""at application start / while establishing a vpn connection and when vpn is connected"" I have had unstable connection issues when using "some" variations such as issues connecting or staying connected for any duration of time.

I also think "seamless reconnect" and "disable interface default route" are both on by Default* and best left On . I think they are on by default to help with security/privacy/stability etc. I think interface default route used to be called "block webrtc?" so by turning that off you might be leaking your real ip through webrtc it may do other things as well i do not know.

I think both settings stop your real ip from leaking under certain conditions i have always left those default settings alone and on since they are related to ensuring the software does not leak your real ip, it may also help with connection/stability having them on.

like i say though your issues could be related to having those settings turned off or could be related to the specific DNS settings you have set as i have had connection issues related to DNS configuration such as google or opendns and quad9 using some variations i "randomly" have issues connecting or staying connected possibly the same as you are having now. You can also try when re-installing the program on the page to select what components to install you can try reinstalling MS Visual C++ and possibly even using a diff tap driver, i am using 9.9.2 for tap driver cuz kaspersky causes connection issues with the other ones. 

the question here was not about leaking ip but what those options do. TorGuard client does not use some own openconnect, neither openvpn as well as not wireguard and other protocols, they are not maintained by torguard. There are several ways of preventing webrtc leaks, as well as other security options which you mention, that all does not matter for the fact that openconnect actually has problems with TorGuard client and another fact is that openconnect itself does not have any issues at all in connecting/reconnecting, confirmed by resolution suggested by support which is to delete your torguard folders and start with fresh dir.

I do believe that devs set default settings which they think would fit most users, but the fact that you can disable them should leave a room for believing that a lot people have reasons why to disable it. Beside that, the tip to disable those functions comes from support in several threads, its not my advice. My advice is to use original software properly configured so that you do not rely on 3rd party clients like torguards, they will never release TG client for all systems and architectures, but it is important if their service can be used with those original clients which in fact is shown pretty well already now, instead to wait for torguard client on many systems including mobile phones, you can use wireguard client.

Where if we speak about security, mentioning MS Viusal C++, then we actually can stop talking about security as you use Windows and it does not matter which VPN you use, your system will spy on you and everything you do for a gain of others. Here leaking webrtc is no harm, windows itself has backdoors for everybody who you actually would like to hide from by using VPN. As you see, discussion about security can be long one, but it is not related to the fact that torguard client has issues connecting to openconnect, I just tested it again and can confirm that torguard client 4.1.2 has same issue and openconnect does not have any issues on another device (aarch64 device):

OpenConnect version v7.08-3ubuntu0.18.04.1
Using GnuTLS. Features present: PKCS#11, RSA software token, HOTP software token, TOTP software token, Yubikey OATH, System keys, DTLS

stormdragon

Thanks for the replies so far as they are very informative :)

Can you try openconnect client instead of torguard client? This would then indeed confirm that it is TG client bug.

I will try the openconnect client to see. I'll need to refresh my brain since I used to use it a long time back before I used Torguard...was using PIA at the time and the speeds were slower for me using openconnect (most likely user error somewhere ;)) so I went back to the VPN clients.

Did you already send your log to torguard support? If yes, what reply did you get?

I did not yet do an official support ticket as I just wanted to check out the forums first. I will most likely do that shortly.

naughtydog
On 9/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, stormdragon said:

I did not yet do an official support ticket as I just wanted to check out the forums first. I will most likely do that shortly.

I did - Support has checked my logs and said "this is related to port 22 being filtered locally or on network". For testing I've erased my MacBook, installed fresh 10.15.6 macos with only Torguard app and switched to another internet connection. Problem still exist. It must be app bug.

Support
3 hours ago, naughtydog said:

I did - Support has checked my logs and said "this is related to port 22 being filtered locally or on network". For testing I've erased my MacBook, installed fresh 10.15.6 macos with only Torguard app and switched to another internet connection. Problem still exist. It must be app bug.

Doses this only happen with open connect?

naughtydog

Only openconnect.