TorGuard

ūüĒ• HowTo - OpenWRT with any TorGuard's Wireguard IP

Rate this topic

logo.svg

I decided to write a simple guide and share it with most before preparing this guide properly and uploading everything to github. This guide will be updated and scripts uploaded to github, after that you will have just to download and run the latest available. Current one is just a scratch and var names as maybe some formatting is not optimal, but this is how I install and use TorGuard Shared, dedicated etc.. (all torguards ips where wireguard is available).

I described already in this post how it is done.

Enjoy :)

Repository/Project homepage: https://torguard.github.io/openwrt-scripts/

Wiki/FAQ: https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/wiki

Git-Hub-Mark-32px.png openwrt-scrtipts on GitHub.

ūüď̬†please keep in mind that latest updates and information about the script and its usage is always on github

ūüďĚ currently preinstalled wget on release images has some issues, I will update when those are resolved, until then please install curl

‚öíÔłŹ Guide Requirements:

• OS: OpenWRT with or without Luci web interface (stable/snapshot)
    • Requirements: wget or curl with SSL support, works with wget without SSL support
      If neither wget or curl are installed, script will automaticaly attempt to install curl
      how to install curl:
      opkg update && opkg install curl

• Additionally installed and updating packages by tginstall script:
      kmod-wireguard wireguard-tools ipset

Short description

• all commands can be copy pasted from codeboxes
  • This script will create default interface wg0 which is configured with /etc/config/torguard
  • After first run, script runs unattended
  • Optional: If you want to configure/edit interface created by script in Web Interface, install luci-app-wireguard with:
    opkg update && opkg install luci-app-wireguard

Method 1: ūüßĺ recommended

1. ssh to your router:
    ssh [email protected]
  2. Download tginstall script and run it
    you can copy and paste full codebox below in one command

with wget:
    wget -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall
    chmod +x /usr/bin/tginstall && tginstall

or with curl:

curl -o /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall

Finished, you should be connected now

3. Optional: Configure timeoutfix
    If you use configs/server which has expiration of 15 minutes, you can enable other solutions like crontab, default tginstall is using /etc/init.d/tgapi as service.
    By default, timeoutfix is enabled, here is how you can enable/disable timeoutfix:

FAQ
    How to config timeoutfix
    ‚ĄĻÔłŹ - If timeoutfix is enabled by /etc/config/torguard, then tgapi will be enable on boot and will be started automatically.
      - valid values
        - for enabled:  1/y/Y
        - for disabled: 0/n/N

how to disable timeoutfix

uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].timeoutfix='0'
    uci commit torguard

how to enable timeoutfix

uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].timeoutfix='1'
    uci commit torguard

How can I upgrade my scripts?
    with curl

curl -o /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall
    curl -o /usr/bin/tginit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit
    curl -o /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic

with wget

wget --no-check-certificate -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall
    wget --no-check-certificate -O /usr/bin/tginit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit
    wget --no-check-certificate -O /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic

ensure that scripts are executable:

chmod +x /usr/bin/tginit /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic /usr/bin/tginstall

How can I change my torguard server ip?
    After script finishes and you entered your credentials you should be connected. If you want to change server IP to some other (like dedicated), run:

# set your torguard server IP in this example to 173.244.200.119
    uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].endpoint_host='173.244.200.119'

# commit and save changes
    uci commit torguard

Rerunning tginstall will connect to changed IP as well as on each run it will use new fresh created keypairs as well as it would update wireguard to latest version if available:

tginstall

Wireguard will stay connected as long as your ISP connection is not dropped or torguard makes some mistake. tginstall can be used with crontab as is configurabe, for more info please check github page.

How to configure existing torguard configuration

# How to show your configs
- Show full torguard config:      	uci show torguard
- Show only default server:       	uci show [email protected]_tg0[0]

# How to set your configs
- Set/edit/change server:            	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].endpoint_host='173.244.200.119'
- Set/edit/change description:       	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].description='wg0 (TorGuard)'
- Set/edit/change allowed ips:       	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].allowed_ips='0.0.0.0/0'
- Set/edit/change endpoint port:     	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].endpoint_port='1443'
- Set/edit/change keepalive:         	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].persistent_keepalive='25'
- Set/edit/change route allowed ip's:	uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].route_allowed_ips='1'
- Remove allowed ips list entry:     	uci del_list [email protected]_tg0[0].allowed_ips='0.0.0.0/0'
- Add additional allowed ips:        	uci add_list [email protected]_tg0[0].allowed_ips='0.0.0.0/0'

# After changing value with uci, you have to commit changes
- Commit changes:                 	uci commit torguard

How to reset/recreate config

by removing or renaming /etc/config/torguard to anything else will cause tginstall to run initial setup and ask for credentials and torguards's whitlabeld private key

# rename torguard config file
mv -f /etc/config/torguard /etc/config/torguard.bkp

# then rerun tginstall
tginstall

How to get around 15 Min. timeout

Method A: keep it valid manually

- script will run in an endless loop waiting by default for 300 seconds (5 minutes) which will keep your connection valid.

- If it expired due to your ISP being offline (you know it if your handshake is present but internet does not work), then you can run same script from any pc or any device as well as you can open the URL in that script in a browser which would immediately activate expired connection without any wg or network restart.

- you can use any PC/Device to activate it, regardless in which in network, it only has to be able to have access to the internet.

tgapitest

‚ĄĻÔłŹ - you do not have to run tgapitest from device on which you connect, this can be any device which is connected to the internet

Method B: activate a service, run automatically on a router

/etc/init.d/tgapi is created by tginit script and is very simple script just starting tgapitest as a service. Please extend service file to your needs, it has only start part which is enough at current point.

/etc/init.d/tgapi enable
/etc/init.d/tgapi start

Method C: use some other apps on openwrt like luci-app-ddns

Other tools used on any other device or your current router could be used to run command from tgapi. If you decide to use as example luci-app-ddns which you can configure how when and over which interface it runs, then you simply have set url for dynamic check of the IP to your API call url from script.

How to run a service on boot which will keep my config valid

Enable and start service with:

/etc/init.d/tgapi enable
/etc/init.d/tgapi start

How to test my api which was created by tginstall:

tgapitest

You could add tginstall to run every 15 minutes too, but to get around 15 min timeout it is sufficient to edit current interface before api expired and apply new settings by network restart. This is for now just workaround until torguard clarifies usage/expiration, it does not make a lot sense to code on this if torguard changes it suddenly without announcements.

Sources

• Clone latest development version
    # get sources
    git clone https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts.git

• Update already existing sources
      # cd into directory of your sources
      cd openwrt-scripts

# fetch and download latest release, use git -f to enforce overwrite
      git fetch
      git pull

• Download zip/tar.gz (tags/releases) with your browser

• Thanks 1

balexter

Hey19807409

could you please make a tutorial with a step by step guide for implementing wireguard on merlin?

I tried my luck a couple of time but my knowledge isnt sufficient enough. Maybe make it so every noob understands what to do?

I am really keen on using wireguard on my router,

thanks for any commitment in advance!

kind regards

4 hours ago, balexter said:

Hey19807409

could you please make a tutorial with a step by step guide for implementing wireguard on merlin?

I tried my luck a couple of time but my knowledge isnt sufficient enough. Maybe make it so every noob understands what to do?

kind regards

Hello, I am not owner of asus router where I could test the build, however, the procedure is the same. I am not sure if openwrt is compatible with your device, if yes, just download latest stable/snapshot and follow the procedure and requirements of guide.

I actually wanted to create app for openwrt which will parse all torguard server and make it easier to set those.

If you look up at my script, there are functions, you have simply to edit the part of adding the interface to your Merlin, as in my example I use uci. The same can be done also to create wg0.conf which is probably how you will use it on merlin and by this script, all the information is allready given, and instead to addnewinterface, write a function which creates simply the wg0.conf.

I will check how exactly Merlin works and its software, but I am very restricted in that research as I do not have any of such devices accessable, especially when it is about firmware customizations.

I will reply later with my suggestion for merlin, but in the meantime you could adapt simply the script. I guess you have ssh access to it, by that you can do it. Script is more or less universal, as it is about creating correct config for which you need to use torguard api, it does not matter then if you create a wg0.conf or config uci, its almost the same where advanced users might customize it quite in a far way ;), I might also write a guide how you can create 2 wg interfaces, one for outer connections using torguard, the other for you to connect over wireguard to your router and surf over torguards first wireguard connections.

Writting guides requires time, please check then github repo, I will upload my findings/scratches there first before trying to write some user friendly noob guides, the above might sound as unfriendly, but you just need to copy and paste except step 4 where you set your credentials, serverlist etc..

@balexter ok, checked and so far most of those asus devices are broadcom chips which are actually not "very" popular to work with it and there are no official support, however, I found few which actually were capable of porting their devices to openwrt but they got some other issues.

We should go simply another path, you probably can compile wireguard directly on your router as well as you could crosscompile it on some other device.

Wireguard requires Linux kernel higher than 3.10 which is quite old, last time when I checked, few years ago, Merlin was using kernel 2, 384.7 seems to have 4.1.24 but I cant find here which is the latest kernel but would assume it is higher than 3.10, probably some 4.x kernel but not kernel 5.

By that, it should be quite easy for you to crosscompile, copy binary to merlin and establish a connection. It is another question of how all of that would work with the hardware and so, I strongly believe the easiest approach would be to simply copy the gui part of openvpn app and adapt it to wireguard.

Like I said, I gladly would help you out but I have no information, better, you create a thread in trying to accomplish it on device which you stated, then @Support, other users as well me could not only brainstorm but also test.

If torguard/asus sends me the router device for testing then I guess it will not be a problem. From what I read, asuswrt devs are not very willing implementing more solutions or user requests, mainly stating that openvpn is a standard and should be used. I for myself say that it is pure nonsense and simply excuse not to do a work which is required now and if they do postpone it then postponed action will not repair bad image cruising and people will turn to other solutions which are better projects in the way that their maintenance is more effective which would include user contribution.

If you look up, you will find that there are enough people with skills owning same device which actually provide solutions, just looked at: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng

and I see commit in attempt to try to use CHACHA20-POLY1305. You maybe should check for more github repos which support your device and contact them in maybe providing wireguard or at least scripts how to compile and configure it on merlin, it would be really on very low prio for me to try to look into it and develop for it if I have nothing where I could test.

Maybe best advice which I can give is to buy next time hardware which is not bound to one specific lazy firmware provider/team, compatibility with openwrt is already a good orientation for home based routers. Your router is probably expensive as all asus devices are, your cheapest solution without a hassle would be probably to buy some rpi4 and set wireguard there which you use then as gateway/redirect/..., those devices cost you much less $ the the time which you will spend on building something for asuswrt.

added example for configuration via uci on openwrt, to install it with wget or curl, depending which is installed, ssh to your router and run:

if you use wget:

wget -O /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic ; chmod +x /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic && tginit-uci-basic

if you use curl:

curl -o /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic ; chmod +x /usr/bin/tginit-uci-basic && tginit-uci-basic

This will create torguard config and you can from now edit and change settings by running uci which is very useful, especially if you run your router without web server (luci).

To show the config, run:

uci show torguard

You have to change your username and password before interface can be installed, set your VPN credentials (your torguard vpn username and password):

uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].username='EnterHereYourTorGuardUsername'
uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].password='EnterHereYourTorGuardPassword'

# US New York server is preset, here you can set your streaming/residential IP
uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].endpoint_host='123.231.132.213'

If you want to get full list of all wireguard servers, you can check out config file with all wireguard enabled shared servers (@Support I hope I do not break anything by placing source for current config from which I parsed, please confirm)

As last step you need to download tginit (it is a script which gets connection information with torguard api) and tginstall (helper script for first time installation).

# download scripts with wget
wget -O /usr/bin/tginit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit
wget -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginstall
# or download scripts with curl
curl -o /usr/bin/tginit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/master/usr/bin/tginit
# make scripts executable and run installation script, after it finishes, reboot your router

I will compile openwrt application and submit PR to openwrt and to install it, you will just have to run `opkg install torguard-scripts`.

I do use that way to configure quite everything, like proxies or socks where. I added for now actually only wireguard part in public as everything else is obsolete.

Very, very old router TP-Link 1043nd-v1 reaches 50-60Mb/s where 50-60Mb/s is its limit on proxy, running htop during those tests shows that cpu is on 100%

[email protected]:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type		: Atheros AR9132 rev 2
machine			: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND
processor		: 0
cpu model		: MIPS 24Kc V7.4
BogoMIPS		: 265.42
wait instruction	: yes
microsecond timers	: yes
tlb_entries		: 16
extra interrupt vector	: yes
hardware watchpoint	: yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa			: mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented	: mips16
Options implemented	: tlb 4kex 4k_cache prefetch mcheck ejtag llsc dc_aliases perf_cntr_intr_bit nan_legacy nan_2008 perf
shadow register sets	: 1
kscratch registers	: 0
package			: 0
core			: 0
VCED exceptions		: not available
VCEI exceptions		: not available

Old TP-Link Archer C5v1 gets with privoxy 110Mb/s and with wireguard quite stable 80Mb/s.

[SUM]   0.00-10.05  sec  99.8 MBytes  83.3 Mbits/sec  887             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec  96.2 MBytes  80.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver
system type             : Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 ver 1 rev 0
machine                 : TP-Link Archer C5 v1
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 74Kc V5.0
BogoMIPS                : 359.42
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa                     : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp dsp2
Options implemented     : tlb 4kex 4k_cache prefetch mcheck ejtag llsc dc_aliases perf_cntr_intr_bit cdmm contextconfig perf
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
package                 : 0
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

Old TP-Link Archer C5v1 gets with privoxy 110Mb/s and with wireguard quite stable 80Mb/s, check out iperf3 speedtests on buttom of this post.

I will write separate guide for speedperf     (config) and torguard app/scripts. As for the app, not much has to be done on openwrt, just crating a meta package which will install all wireguard packages and current scripts is not a big deal and then if there are really many GUI users here, it should not be a problem to add buttons on wireguards app, which could be simply done by patching during the runtime. I sadly really am very restricted in time which I can spend for this guide, in following days I will add additional part which is to run i2pd and onion servers over your torguards vpn connection, how you easily restrict/route which PC goes over VPN, how PortForwarding perfectly works with openwrt and maybe some other  nice things :). If you have any older router devices, you might find a usage for them running such simple tasks as dhcp or dns server which indeed achieve pretty good speeds, as if Archer C5v1 gets 80Mbit constantly, then it is more than enough for I guess more than 95% of world's population.

Speedperf tests (TP-Link Archer C5v1):
speedperf_default_client_20200927-1601188658_speedtest.wtnet.de.tar.gz
speedperf_default_client_20200926-1601146553_speedtest.wtnet.de.tar.gz

I cant edit the last post telling me that too much time passed since I posted which was yesterday. This thread should be probably cleaned up too, placing changes in first thread, at least steps for installation.

In my previous post, I forgot to set tginit as executable, this would be correct:

chmod +x /usr/bin/tginit && chmod +x /usr/bin/tginstall && tginstall

@Support how edit/update the guide if it is locked and why at all is it locked? Some command again which is not allowed or similar? Would be nice to see somwhere all restrictions of this forum, probably best is anyway to write guides directly on git in markdown but somehow I tough your users will find it here easier.

tginstall updated, now you can just download tginstall and run it, script will ask you for your torguard vpn username and password if /etc/config/torguard does not exist. Default config has New York server preset, as in case of credentials, if /etc/config/torguard does not exist, you will be asked if you want to use your own IP instead of default one, here you just need to enter your torguard ip (residential, sports, etc...).

Additionaly, it will ask you at the end of the script if you want to install speedperf script and iperf3, which you can immediately use after tginstall is finished.

Additional update is that you do not need to reboot after you run tginstall, but of course it is a good idea :) to reboot, just to ensure your router connects after reboot.

1. ssh/telnet to your box

2. Paste this code in terminal

wget -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/raw/master/usr/bin/tginstall && chmod +x /usr/bin/tginstall && tginstall

Here is a test of TP-Link Archer C7 v2 (EU), which is quite the same as Archer C5v1 by its CPU, so the results are also quite the same, it has stable 80-85Mbit/s.

[email protected]:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
system type             : Qualcomm Atheros QCA9558 ver 1 rev 0
machine                 : TP-Link Archer C7 v2
processor               : 0
cpu model               : MIPS 74Kc V5.0
BogoMIPS                : 359.42
wait instruction        : yes
microsecond timers      : yes
tlb_entries             : 32
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes, count: 4, address/irw mask: [0x0ffc, 0x0ffc, 0x0ffb, 0x0ffb]
isa                     : mips1 mips2 mips32r1 mips32r2
ASEs implemented        : mips16 dsp dsp2
Options implemented     : tlb 4kex 4k_cache prefetch mcheck ejtag llsc dc_aliases perf_cntr_intr_bit cdmm contextconfig perf
shadow register sets    : 1
kscratch registers      : 0
package                 : 0
core                    : 0
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available

iperf3 test:

iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4 -R
Connecting to host speedtest.wtnet.de, port 5200
Reverse mode, remote host speedtest.wtnet.de is sending
[  5] local 10.13.68.117 port 39144 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[  7] local 10.13.68.117 port 39146 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[  9] local 10.13.68.117 port 39148 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 11] local 10.13.68.117 port 39150 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 13] local 10.13.68.117 port 39152 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 15] local 10.13.68.117 port 39154 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 17] local 10.13.68.117 port 39156 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 19] local 10.13.68.117 port 39158 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 21] local 10.13.68.117 port 39160 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 23] local 10.13.68.117 port 39162 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.03   sec  1.07 MBytes  8.69 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   0.00-1.03   sec   691 KBytes  5.49 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   0.00-1.03   sec   987 KBytes  7.85 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   0.00-1.03   sec  1.12 MBytes  9.12 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   0.00-1.03   sec   856 KBytes  6.81 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   0.00-1.03   sec   816 KBytes  6.49 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   0.00-1.03   sec   635 KBytes  5.05 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   0.00-1.03   sec   982 KBytes  7.81 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   0.00-1.03   sec  2.25 MBytes  18.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   0.00-1.03   sec   938 KBytes  7.46 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   0.00-1.03   sec  10.2 MBytes  83.1 Mbits/sec                  
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[  5]   1.03-2.01   sec   786 KBytes  6.54 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   1.03-2.01   sec   811 KBytes  6.75 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   1.03-2.01   sec   713 KBytes  5.94 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   1.03-2.01   sec   916 KBytes  7.63 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   1.03-2.01   sec  1007 KBytes  8.39 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   1.03-2.01   sec   947 KBytes  7.89 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   1.03-2.01   sec   763 KBytes  6.35 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   1.03-2.01   sec   740 KBytes  6.16 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   1.03-2.01   sec  2.28 MBytes  19.4 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   1.03-2.01   sec  1.13 MBytes  9.67 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   1.03-2.01   sec  9.94 MBytes  84.8 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   2.01-3.00   sec   518 KBytes  4.30 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   2.01-3.00   sec   882 KBytes  7.32 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   2.01-3.00   sec   612 KBytes  5.08 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   2.01-3.00   sec   525 KBytes  4.36 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   2.01-3.00   sec  1.28 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   2.01-3.00   sec   858 KBytes  7.12 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   2.01-3.00   sec   882 KBytes  7.32 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   2.01-3.00   sec   724 KBytes  6.01 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   2.01-3.00   sec  2.50 MBytes  21.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   2.01-3.00   sec  1.00 MBytes  8.52 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   2.01-3.00   sec  9.66 MBytes  82.2 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   3.00-4.01   sec   711 KBytes  5.75 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   3.00-4.01   sec  1015 KBytes  8.22 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   3.00-4.01   sec   770 KBytes  6.23 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   3.00-4.01   sec   669 KBytes  5.42 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   3.00-4.01   sec  1.56 MBytes  12.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   3.00-4.01   sec   967 KBytes  7.83 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   3.00-4.01   sec   800 KBytes  6.48 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   3.00-4.01   sec   470 KBytes  3.81 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   3.00-4.01   sec  2.08 MBytes  17.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   3.00-4.01   sec   982 KBytes  7.95 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   3.00-4.01   sec  9.87 MBytes  81.8 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   4.01-5.00   sec   810 KBytes  6.71 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   4.01-5.00   sec  1.09 MBytes  9.27 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   4.01-5.00   sec   920 KBytes  7.63 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   4.01-5.00   sec   733 KBytes  6.08 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   4.01-5.00   sec  1.47 MBytes  12.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   4.01-5.00   sec  1014 KBytes  8.41 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   4.01-5.00   sec   827 KBytes  6.86 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   4.01-5.00   sec   484 KBytes  4.01 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   4.01-5.00   sec  1.84 MBytes  15.7 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   4.01-5.00   sec  1.00 MBytes  8.50 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   4.01-5.00   sec  10.1 MBytes  85.6 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  1018 KBytes  8.33 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   5.00-6.00   sec  1006 KBytes  8.23 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   5.00-6.00   sec   815 KBytes  6.67 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   5.00-6.00   sec   709 KBytes  5.81 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.22 MBytes  10.2 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.25 MBytes  10.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   5.00-6.00   sec   892 KBytes  7.30 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   5.00-6.00   sec   603 KBytes  4.93 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.48 MBytes  12.4 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   5.00-6.00   sec   688 KBytes  5.63 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   5.00-6.00   sec  9.55 MBytes  80.0 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.16 MBytes  9.73 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   6.00-7.00   sec  1011 KBytes  8.29 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   6.00-7.00   sec   912 KBytes  7.48 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   6.00-7.00   sec   823 KBytes  6.75 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.13 MBytes  9.50 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.13 MBytes  9.46 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.02 MBytes  8.60 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   6.00-7.00   sec   721 KBytes  5.91 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.61 MBytes  13.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   6.00-7.00   sec   657 KBytes  5.39 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   6.00-7.00   sec  10.1 MBytes  84.6 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   7.00-8.02   sec  1.32 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   7.00-8.02   sec  1019 KBytes  8.21 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   7.00-8.02   sec   763 KBytes  6.15 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   7.00-8.02   sec   753 KBytes  6.07 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   7.00-8.02   sec  1.17 MBytes  9.68 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   7.00-8.02   sec   774 KBytes  6.23 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   7.00-8.02   sec  1.21 MBytes  9.99 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   7.00-8.02   sec   927 KBytes  7.47 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   7.00-8.02   sec  1.30 MBytes  10.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   7.00-8.02   sec   530 KBytes  4.27 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   7.00-8.02   sec  9.66 MBytes  79.7 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   8.02-9.01   sec  1.44 MBytes  12.1 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   8.02-9.01   sec   955 KBytes  7.85 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   8.02-9.01   sec   834 KBytes  6.85 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   8.02-9.01   sec   713 KBytes  5.87 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   8.02-9.01   sec  1.09 MBytes  9.14 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   8.02-9.01   sec   911 KBytes  7.49 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   8.02-9.01   sec  1.17 MBytes  9.85 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   8.02-9.01   sec   898 KBytes  7.38 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   8.02-9.01   sec  1.32 MBytes  11.1 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   8.02-9.01   sec   561 KBytes  4.61 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   8.02-9.01   sec  9.77 MBytes  82.3 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   9.01-10.04  sec  1.33 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   9.01-10.04  sec   962 KBytes  7.66 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   9.01-10.04  sec   802 KBytes  6.39 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   9.01-10.04  sec   760 KBytes  6.06 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   9.01-10.04  sec   990 KBytes  7.89 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   9.01-10.04  sec   899 KBytes  7.16 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   9.01-10.04  sec  1.33 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   9.01-10.04  sec  1.05 MBytes  8.60 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   9.01-10.04  sec  1.43 MBytes  11.7 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   9.01-10.04  sec   573 KBytes  4.57 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   9.01-10.04  sec  10.0 MBytes  81.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.09  sec  10.6 MBytes  8.82 Mbits/sec  104             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.04  sec  10.1 MBytes  8.41 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  7]   0.00-10.09  sec  9.48 MBytes  7.89 Mbits/sec   36             sender
[  7]   0.00-10.04  sec  9.25 MBytes  7.73 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  9]   0.00-10.09  sec  8.63 MBytes  7.18 Mbits/sec  123             sender
[  9]   0.00-10.04  sec  7.94 MBytes  6.63 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 11]   0.00-10.09  sec  7.90 MBytes  6.57 Mbits/sec   92             sender
[ 11]   0.00-10.04  sec  7.57 MBytes  6.32 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 13]   0.00-10.09  sec  12.0 MBytes  9.98 Mbits/sec   62             sender
[ 13]   0.00-10.04  sec  11.7 MBytes  9.77 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 15]   0.00-10.09  sec  10.1 MBytes  8.38 Mbits/sec  112             sender
[ 15]   0.00-10.04  sec  9.40 MBytes  7.85 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 17]   0.00-10.09  sec  9.74 MBytes  8.10 Mbits/sec   42             sender
[ 17]   0.00-10.04  sec  9.42 MBytes  7.87 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 19]   0.00-10.09  sec  7.85 MBytes  6.53 Mbits/sec  111             sender
[ 19]   0.00-10.04  sec  7.45 MBytes  6.22 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 21]   0.00-10.09  sec  18.9 MBytes  15.7 Mbits/sec  145             sender
[ 21]   0.00-10.04  sec  18.1 MBytes  15.1 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 23]   0.00-10.09  sec  8.30 MBytes  6.90 Mbits/sec  107             sender
[ 23]   0.00-10.04  sec  7.95 MBytes  6.64 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[SUM]   0.00-10.09  sec   104 MBytes  86.1 Mbits/sec  934             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.04  sec  98.8 MBytes  82.6 Mbits/sec                  receiver

uNc
On 9/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, balexter said:

Hey19807409

kind regards

Take a look here, this might help. Only works on AC86U and AX88U afaik.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-rt-ac86u-ax88u.46164/

1 hour ago, uNc said:

Can you recommend a router for Wireguard?  I'm considering a Linksys WRT1900ACS.

Sure ;). WRT1900ACS is good device, but cheaper rpi4 would be faster and better for just wireguard if you do not need additional router (as you probably already have one). Quite cool thing on wireguard is that any router, even older will get great results. 400Mhz cpu gets 80Mbit/s. 1Ghz cpu should be actually already able to get 200. It highly depends on which connection your ISP offers, if you got 1Gb, then consider buying a router with strong CPU. On that point it really does not matter which brand and model if it is over 1Ghz. TP-Link was for longer time my favourite brand and that is why I have so many TP-Link devices, actually it sitll is as router. For wireguard, it would be much faster and better if you buy raspberry pi4, which is much more powerfull than any router at this price segment, then use it as a gateway with wireguard. If you want to run more things and need storage, consider buying radxa's rock (I wrote a guide for radxa rock here on forum) with M2 extenstion where you can install M2 disk. Rock pi4 with m2 costs less than any of routers with comparable power and ddr4. Oh, yes, I compiled openwrt for rock too, so yes, you could run openwrt also on rpi4 or rock4.

Preflashed routers from torguard support openwrt are also not bad (or they are openwrt, dont know, never had one, I assume its customized openwrt), just dont go for any with 100Mb lan, thats a bottleneck. In another thread I asked users with preflashed routers to post speedperf if they can so that we can see which speed they get. Sadly nobody posted for now. Many people who I know throw away those older routers, including C5 and C7, where those same people have mostly less than 80Mbits from their ISP, by that, you can get those for free, just ask your friends if they have old router for throwaway.

- Before you buy any router, please check compatibility list: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices

- And here is table of supported hardware, you can type brand, model, ...: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

uNc
On 9/30/2020 at 6:16 PM, 19807409 said:

Sure ;). WRT1900ACS is good device, but cheaper rpi4 would be faster and better for just wireguard if you do not need additional router (as you probably already have one). Quite cool thing on wireguard is that any router, even older will get great results. 400Mhz cpu gets 80Mbit/s. 1Ghz cpu should be actually already able to get 200. It highly depends on which connection your ISP offers, if you got 1Gb, then consider buying a router with strong CPU. On that point it really does not matter which brand and model if it is over 1Ghz. TP-Link was for longer time my favourite brand and that is why I have so many TP-Link devices, actually it sitll is as router. For wireguard, it would be much faster and better if you buy raspberry pi4, which is much more powerfull than any router at this price segment, then use it as a gateway with wireguard. If you want to run more things and need storage, consider buying radxa's rock (I wrote a guide for radxa rock here on forum) with M2 extenstion where you can install M2 disk. Rock pi4 with m2 costs less than any of routers with comparable power and ddr4. Oh, yes, I compiled openwrt for rock too, so yes, you could run openwrt also on rpi4 or rock4.

Preflashed routers from torguard support openwrt are also not bad (or they are openwrt, dont know, never had one, I assume its customized openwrt), just dont go for any with 100Mb lan, thats a bottleneck. In another thread I asked users with preflashed routers to post speedperf if they can so that we can see which speed they get. Sadly nobody posted for now. Many people who I know throw away those older routers, including C5 and C7, where those same people have mostly less than 80Mbits from their ISP, by that, you can get those for free, just ask your friends if they have old router for throwaway.

- Before you buy any router, please check compatibility list: https://openwrt.org/supported_devices

- And here is table of supported hardware, you can type brand, model, ...: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

Ok, right on and thanks a lot....much appreciated for everything here!

13 hours ago, uNc said:

Ok, right on and thanks a lot....much appreciated for everything here!

you are welcome ;)

uNc

has anyone tried setting up TG wireguard on OpenWRT? If so, how is the performance and reliability, etc?

Also, I posted this earlier:

7 hours ago, uNc said:

has anyone tried setting up TG wireguard on OpenWRT? If so, how is the performance and reliability, etc?

It is still running, no performance and no reliability issues. I also replied to your post:

Update on speeds of archer c5v1 with kernel 5.4.69, I get slighlty better results, with previous kernels it reached stable 80Mbits, now it is over 85, in average 90, around 10% gain, despite running i2p and tor on it, cpu runs on 100% during this test (in other window htop was running):

iperf3 -c speedtest.wtnet.de -p 5200 -P 10 -4 -R
Connecting to host speedtest.wtnet.de, port 5200
Reverse mode, remote host speedtest.wtnet.de is sending
[  5] local 10.13.128.81 port 57858 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[  7] local 10.13.128.81 port 57860 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[  9] local 10.13.128.81 port 57862 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 11] local 10.13.128.81 port 57864 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 13] local 10.13.128.81 port 57866 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 15] local 10.13.128.81 port 57868 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 17] local 10.13.128.81 port 57870 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 19] local 10.13.128.81 port 57872 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 21] local 10.13.128.81 port 57874 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ 23] local 10.13.128.81 port 57876 connected to 213.209.106.95 port 5200
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate
[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec   418 KBytes  3.41 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   0.00-1.00   sec   753 KBytes  6.15 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.47 MBytes  12.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.44 MBytes  20.4 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.18 MBytes  9.84 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.25 MBytes  10.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   0.00-1.00   sec   466 KBytes  3.81 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   0.00-1.00   sec   389 KBytes  3.17 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   0.00-1.00   sec  1009 KBytes  8.23 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   0.00-1.00   sec   469 KBytes  3.83 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   0.00-1.00   sec  9.76 MBytes  81.6 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   1.00-2.03   sec   303 KBytes  2.43 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   1.00-2.03   sec   684 KBytes  5.47 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   1.00-2.03   sec  1021 KBytes  8.17 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   1.00-2.03   sec  2.38 MBytes  19.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   1.00-2.03   sec  2.51 MBytes  20.6 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   1.00-2.03   sec  1.44 MBytes  11.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   1.00-2.03   sec   589 KBytes  4.71 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   1.00-2.03   sec   395 KBytes  3.16 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   1.00-2.03   sec   844 KBytes  6.76 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   1.00-2.03   sec   444 KBytes  3.55 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   1.00-2.03   sec  10.5 MBytes  86.2 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   2.03-3.01   sec   385 KBytes  3.21 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   2.03-3.01   sec   719 KBytes  6.00 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   2.03-3.01   sec   959 KBytes  8.00 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   2.03-3.01   sec  1.55 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   2.03-3.01   sec  3.13 MBytes  26.7 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   2.03-3.01   sec  1.39 MBytes  11.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   2.03-3.01   sec   673 KBytes  5.62 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   2.03-3.01   sec   533 KBytes  4.45 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   2.03-3.01   sec   778 KBytes  6.49 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   2.03-3.01   sec   219 KBytes  1.83 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   2.03-3.01   sec  10.2 MBytes  87.5 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   3.01-4.01   sec   576 KBytes  4.69 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   3.01-4.01   sec   920 KBytes  7.50 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   3.01-4.01   sec  1019 KBytes  8.31 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   3.01-4.01   sec  1.47 MBytes  12.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   3.01-4.01   sec  2.62 MBytes  21.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   3.01-4.01   sec  1.46 MBytes  12.2 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   3.01-4.01   sec   842 KBytes  6.86 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   3.01-4.01   sec   677 KBytes  5.52 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   3.01-4.01   sec   855 KBytes  6.97 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   3.01-4.01   sec   212 KBytes  1.73 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   3.01-4.01   sec  10.5 MBytes  87.9 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   4.01-5.00   sec   712 KBytes  5.92 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   4.01-5.00   sec   931 KBytes  7.74 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   4.01-5.00   sec   685 KBytes  5.69 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   4.01-5.00   sec   959 KBytes  7.97 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   4.01-5.00   sec  2.68 MBytes  22.8 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   4.01-5.00   sec  1.47 MBytes  12.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   4.01-5.00   sec   985 KBytes  8.18 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   4.01-5.00   sec   816 KBytes  6.78 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   4.01-5.00   sec   798 KBytes  6.63 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   4.01-5.00   sec   234 KBytes  1.94 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   4.01-5.00   sec  10.1 MBytes  86.1 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   5.00-6.01   sec   699 KBytes  5.68 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   5.00-6.01   sec  1.17 MBytes  9.76 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   5.00-6.01   sec   653 KBytes  5.31 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   5.00-6.01   sec   831 KBytes  6.75 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   5.00-6.01   sec  1.79 MBytes  14.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   5.00-6.01   sec  1.81 MBytes  15.1 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   5.00-6.01   sec  1.12 MBytes  9.36 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   5.00-6.01   sec   986 KBytes  8.01 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   5.00-6.01   sec   922 KBytes  7.49 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   5.00-6.01   sec   275 KBytes  2.24 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   5.00-6.01   sec  10.2 MBytes  84.6 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   6.01-7.01   sec   792 KBytes  6.50 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   6.01-7.01   sec  1.28 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   6.01-7.01   sec   693 KBytes  5.69 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   6.01-7.01   sec   768 KBytes  6.31 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   6.01-7.01   sec  1.60 MBytes  13.4 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   6.01-7.01   sec  1.85 MBytes  15.5 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   6.01-7.01   sec  1.33 MBytes  11.1 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   6.01-7.01   sec  1.11 MBytes  9.31 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   6.01-7.01   sec  1015 KBytes  8.33 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   6.01-7.01   sec   441 KBytes  3.62 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   6.01-7.01   sec  10.8 MBytes  90.6 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   7.01-8.01   sec   791 KBytes  6.48 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   7.01-8.01   sec  1.23 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   7.01-8.01   sec   586 KBytes  4.80 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   7.01-8.01   sec   741 KBytes  6.07 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   7.01-8.01   sec  1.74 MBytes  14.6 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   7.01-8.01   sec  1.59 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   7.01-8.01   sec  1.44 MBytes  12.1 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   7.01-8.01   sec  1.03 MBytes  8.68 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   7.01-8.01   sec   973 KBytes  7.96 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   7.01-8.01   sec   423 KBytes  3.47 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   7.01-8.01   sec  10.5 MBytes  87.7 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   8.01-9.00   sec   895 KBytes  7.38 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   8.01-9.00   sec  1.29 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   8.01-9.00   sec   731 KBytes  6.03 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   8.01-9.00   sec   810 KBytes  6.68 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   8.01-9.00   sec  1.74 MBytes  14.7 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   8.01-9.00   sec  1.53 MBytes  12.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   8.01-9.00   sec  1.26 MBytes  10.6 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   8.01-9.00   sec   896 KBytes  7.39 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   8.01-9.00   sec   907 KBytes  7.48 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   8.01-9.00   sec   232 KBytes  1.92 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   8.01-9.00   sec  10.2 MBytes  86.0 Mbits/sec                  
[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec   967 KBytes  7.92 Mbits/sec                  
[  7]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.20 MBytes  10.1 Mbits/sec                  
[  9]   9.00-10.00  sec   826 KBytes  6.76 Mbits/sec                  
[ 11]   9.00-10.00  sec   928 KBytes  7.60 Mbits/sec                  
[ 13]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.66 MBytes  13.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 15]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.31 MBytes  11.0 Mbits/sec                  
[ 17]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.30 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  
[ 19]   9.00-10.00  sec   826 KBytes  6.76 Mbits/sec                  
[ 21]   9.00-10.00  sec   868 KBytes  7.11 Mbits/sec                  
[ 23]   9.00-10.00  sec   389 KBytes  3.18 Mbits/sec                  
[SUM]   9.00-10.00  sec  10.2 MBytes  85.2 Mbits/sec                  
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
[  5]   0.00-10.05  sec  6.56 MBytes  5.47 Mbits/sec   47             sender
[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  6.38 MBytes  5.36 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  7]   0.00-10.05  sec  10.6 MBytes  8.82 Mbits/sec   64             sender
[  7]   0.00-10.00  sec  10.1 MBytes  8.46 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[  9]   0.00-10.05  sec  8.99 MBytes  7.51 Mbits/sec   93             sender
[  9]   0.00-10.00  sec  8.48 MBytes  7.11 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 11]   0.00-10.05  sec  13.4 MBytes  11.2 Mbits/sec  174             sender
[ 11]   0.00-10.00  sec  12.8 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 13]   0.00-10.05  sec  21.4 MBytes  17.8 Mbits/sec   79             sender
[ 13]   0.00-10.00  sec  20.6 MBytes  17.3 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 15]   0.00-10.05  sec  15.4 MBytes  12.9 Mbits/sec   77             sender
[ 15]   0.00-10.00  sec  15.1 MBytes  12.7 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 17]   0.00-10.05  sec  10.1 MBytes  8.41 Mbits/sec   50             sender
[ 17]   0.00-10.00  sec  9.93 MBytes  8.33 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 19]   0.00-10.05  sec  7.79 MBytes  6.50 Mbits/sec   49             sender
[ 19]   0.00-10.00  sec  7.53 MBytes  6.32 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 21]   0.00-10.05  sec  8.95 MBytes  7.47 Mbits/sec   70             sender
[ 21]   0.00-10.00  sec  8.76 MBytes  7.35 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[ 23]   0.00-10.05  sec  3.47 MBytes  2.90 Mbits/sec  124             sender
[ 23]   0.00-10.00  sec  3.26 MBytes  2.73 Mbits/sec                  receiver
[SUM]   0.00-10.05  sec   107 MBytes  89.0 Mbits/sec  827             sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   103 MBytes  86.3 Mbits/sec                  receiver

Today my ISP provider has done some maintenance work and internet was disabled for around 13 minutes where fixed IP was changed, where from those 13, ISP router required around 5 minutes to reboot. After ISP re-enabled the service, openwrt with wireguard using shared server was still using torguard and nothing expired and no reconnect was required. Works like a charm.

simschu

I tried setting this up on OpenWRT for a Linksys WRT3200ACM, based on the instructions in Post 2 (had to add some spaces between the end of the command and the #comment, otherwise it threw an error)

However, it never seems to connect. The public key doesn't seem to be getting retrieved, and I'm not sure why. This is happening for dedicated IP and the standard TorGuard servers. I see a couple of errors during the install. I'm attaching a couple of screenshots.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 7.44.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.01.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 8.03.00 PM.png

Hello, thanks for trying that router model as many here have it.

According to the screenshot, it clearly does get new public key and private keys which you marked out. It looks like if you you did not retrieve the api info. It also warns that you do not have ipset utility, you can install it with:

opkg update && opkg install ipset
21 minutes ago, simschu said:

based on the instructions in Post 2 (had to add some spaces between the end of the command and the #comment, otherwise it threw an error)

Post 2 are permalinks of the script for the moment when it was created. Please try the latest script: https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts

I changed few things, like that in post 2 script did not check if you have wget or curl installed etc.

Also, new script will ask you for your TorGuard credentials as well as if you want to install iperf3 with a testscrip running configured by /etc/config/speedperf.

The reason why you did not get any data with the API is either you passed wrong/none torguard credentials, as according to what I see in terminal you passed it properly.

As addition, in post 1 I actually posted that one can use domains, but I did not add the part which will resolve all ip's and check for the fastest one. I did not include it for the sake of simplicity as even autoinstall script seems to scare some away from trying. Please use IP's instead, when I get some time, I might add resolver and checker for torguards domains.

If you have wget installed, then run:

wget -O /usr/bin/tginstall https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/raw/master/usr/bin/tginstall

If you use curl:

curl -o /usr/bin/tginstall https://github.com/TorGuard/openwrt-scripts/raw/master/usr/bin/tginstall

simschu
1 hour ago, 19807409 said:

Hello, thanks for trying that router model as many here have it

Aha :) That worked. I have a Wireguard connection, albeit using the default US server. Amazing, thank you!!!

Is there any easy way to change the server? I could get tginstall to bring up the place to enter my username, password, and IP again so that I can log into my Dedicated IP.

18 minutes ago, simschu said:

Aha :) That worked. I have a Wireguard connection, albeit using the default US server. Amazing, thank you!!!

glad it worked, you are welcome ;)

18 minutes ago, simschu said:

Is there any easy way to change the server?

Actually yes, simply rerunning tginstall, as your credentials and so on are saved in /etc/config/torguard, just change before that server ip which is saved in /etc/config/torguard

You can list your settings with:

uci show torguard

To set it , uci set ...

The script from post 2 created interface tgwg0, you can delete that one in web interface or with uci delete,

So, to change your server IP with uci, run simply:

uci set [email protected]_tg0[0].endpoint_host='123.123.123.2'
uci commit torguard

(or edit with nano or any text editor)

then rerun tginstall.

Of course you do not need to run the script at all, you could wget/curl api manually and set them with uci, I added config file for uci which can be used to change/add servers, as well as you can add also other interfaces letting your router have several wg connections to several torguard IP's where you control which one is used simply by allowed ip's, of course you could use also something like multiwan.

If you can, please install also htop with:

opkg install htop

and open in one ssh session htop which will show you cpu usage, then in another terminal run iperf3 with closest server to you. I am interested of how good your router performs and if it goes on its limits which you can see in htop.

EDIT: by the way, do you use snapshot or stable? If snapshot, which kernel? Command to check kernel is forbidden by this forum soft, meaning, reply XX with un:

XXame -a

here is a screenshot:

image.png

• Like 1

simschu

Excellent. I was able to change it. Previously, I was just deleting the files in /usr/bin but it didn't ask for the new IP, so your solution was very welcome! thank you!

Here are the result from iperf3

[ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate

[  5]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.44 MBytes  20.4 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   0.00-1.00   sec  3.09 MBytes  25.9 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   0.00-1.00   sec  2.39 MBytes  20.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.14 MBytes  9.53 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.18 MBytes  9.91 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   0.00-1.00   sec   687 KBytes  5.62 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   0.00-1.00   sec   982 KBytes  8.04 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   0.00-1.00   sec  1.04 MBytes  8.73 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   0.00-1.00   sec   919 KBytes  7.53 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   0.00-1.00   sec   717 KBytes  5.88 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   0.00-1.00   sec  14.5 MBytes   122 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.60 MBytes  21.8 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   1.00-2.00   sec  4.84 MBytes  40.6 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   1.00-2.00   sec  2.83 MBytes  23.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.43 MBytes  12.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.30 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.16 MBytes  9.75 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.37 MBytes  11.5 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.31 MBytes  11.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   1.00-2.00   sec  1.61 MBytes  13.5 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   1.00-2.00   sec   886 KBytes  7.26 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   1.00-2.00   sec  19.3 MBytes   162 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   2.00-3.00   sec  2.35 MBytes  19.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   2.00-3.00   sec  5.04 MBytes  42.3 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   2.00-3.00   sec  3.29 MBytes  27.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.66 MBytes  13.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.20 MBytes  10.1 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.40 MBytes  11.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.57 MBytes  13.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.23 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   2.00-3.00   sec  1.98 MBytes  16.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   2.00-3.00   sec  1011 KBytes  8.28 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   2.00-3.00   sec  20.7 MBytes   174 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   3.00-4.00   sec  2.36 MBytes  19.8 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   3.00-4.00   sec  5.71 MBytes  47.9 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   3.00-4.00   sec  3.19 MBytes  26.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.58 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.23 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.31 MBytes  11.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.51 MBytes  12.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.24 MBytes  10.4 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   3.00-4.00   sec  1.93 MBytes  16.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   3.00-4.00   sec  1002 KBytes  8.21 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   3.00-4.00   sec  21.0 MBytes   176 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   4.00-5.00   sec  2.65 MBytes  22.2 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   4.00-5.00   sec  5.59 MBytes  46.9 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   4.00-5.00   sec  3.41 MBytes  28.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.72 MBytes  14.4 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.29 MBytes  10.8 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.45 MBytes  12.1 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.62 MBytes  13.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.34 MBytes  11.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   4.00-5.00   sec  2.12 MBytes  17.8 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   4.00-5.00   sec  1.08 MBytes  9.05 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   4.00-5.00   sec  22.3 MBytes   187 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.98 MBytes  16.6 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   5.00-6.00   sec  6.09 MBytes  51.1 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   5.00-6.00   sec  2.73 MBytes  22.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.39 MBytes  11.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.32 MBytes  11.1 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.14 MBytes  9.56 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.27 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   5.00-6.00   sec   999 KBytes  8.18 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   5.00-6.00   sec  2.00 MBytes  16.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   5.00-6.00   sec  1.16 MBytes  9.71 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   5.00-6.00   sec  20.1 MBytes   168 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.23 MBytes  18.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   6.00-7.00   sec  5.75 MBytes  48.2 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.82 MBytes  23.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.46 MBytes  12.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.40 MBytes  11.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.30 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.43 MBytes  12.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.15 MBytes  9.67 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   6.00-7.00   sec  2.10 MBytes  17.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   6.00-7.00   sec  1.21 MBytes  10.2 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   6.00-7.00   sec  20.9 MBytes   175 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   7.00-8.00   sec  2.35 MBytes  19.7 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   7.00-8.00   sec  6.23 MBytes  52.2 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   7.00-8.00   sec  3.07 MBytes  25.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.65 MBytes  13.8 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.50 MBytes  12.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.39 MBytes  11.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.53 MBytes  12.8 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.31 MBytes  11.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   7.00-8.00   sec  2.06 MBytes  17.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   7.00-8.00   sec  1.33 MBytes  11.2 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   7.00-8.00   sec  22.4 MBytes   188 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.58 MBytes  21.6 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   8.00-9.00   sec  5.93 MBytes  49.8 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   8.00-9.00   sec  3.24 MBytes  27.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.67 MBytes  14.0 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.30 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.22 MBytes  10.2 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.63 MBytes  13.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.30 MBytes  10.9 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   8.00-9.00   sec  2.23 MBytes  18.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   8.00-9.00   sec  1.16 MBytes  9.74 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   8.00-9.00   sec  22.3 MBytes   187 Mbits/sec                  

[  5]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.55 MBytes  21.4 Mbits/sec                  

[  7]   9.00-10.00  sec  6.36 MBytes  53.3 Mbits/sec                  

[  9]   9.00-10.00  sec  3.37 MBytes  28.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 11]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.75 MBytes  14.7 Mbits/sec                  

[ 13]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.36 MBytes  11.4 Mbits/sec                  

[ 15]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.27 MBytes  10.6 Mbits/sec                  

[ 17]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.65 MBytes  13.8 Mbits/sec                  

[ 19]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.35 MBytes  11.3 Mbits/sec                  

[ 21]   9.00-10.00  sec  2.40 MBytes  20.1 Mbits/sec                  

[ 23]   9.00-10.00  sec  1.28 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec                  

[SUM]   9.00-10.00  sec  23.3 MBytes   196 Mbits/sec                  

[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr

[  5]   0.00-10.09  sec  25.7 MBytes  21.4 Mbits/sec   83             sender

[  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  24.1 MBytes  20.2 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[  7]   0.00-10.09  sec  56.3 MBytes  46.8 Mbits/sec   13             sender

[  7]   0.00-10.00  sec  54.6 MBytes  45.8 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[  9]   0.00-10.09  sec  31.7 MBytes  26.4 Mbits/sec   28             sender

[  9]   0.00-10.00  sec  30.3 MBytes  25.4 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 11]   0.00-10.09  sec  16.0 MBytes  13.3 Mbits/sec   96             sender

[ 11]   0.00-10.00  sec  15.4 MBytes  12.9 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 13]   0.00-10.09  sec  13.8 MBytes  11.5 Mbits/sec   79             sender

[ 13]   0.00-10.00  sec  13.1 MBytes  11.0 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 15]   0.00-10.09  sec  12.8 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec   83             sender

[ 15]   0.00-10.00  sec  12.3 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 17]   0.00-10.09  sec  15.2 MBytes  12.6 Mbits/sec   91             sender

[ 17]   0.00-10.00  sec  14.5 MBytes  12.2 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 19]   0.00-10.09  sec  12.9 MBytes  10.7 Mbits/sec  177             sender

[ 19]   0.00-10.00  sec  12.2 MBytes  10.3 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 21]   0.00-10.09  sec  19.9 MBytes  16.6 Mbits/sec   67             sender

[ 21]   0.00-10.00  sec  19.3 MBytes  16.2 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[ 23]   0.00-10.09  sec  11.1 MBytes  9.25 Mbits/sec   42             sender

[ 23]   0.00-10.00  sec  10.8 MBytes  9.02 Mbits/sec                  receiver

[SUM]   0.00-10.09  sec   216 MBytes   179 Mbits/sec  759             sender

[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   207 MBytes   173 Mbits/sec                  receiver

and here is a screenshot of htop

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.00.53 PM.png

Also, here is my version. I'm using a stable release for WRT3200ACM rather than a development release.

Linux OpenWrt 4.14.195 #0 SMP Sun Sep 6 16:19:39 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

• Thanks 1