TorGuard

Can't re-install Torguard on Mageia due to libxkbcommon-x11 dependency

Rate this question

Milo6T

Question

I have just re-installed my Mageia 7.1 system onto a new SSD.

After successfully updating the system files I have been installing my applications.

When I  try to install Torguard I get an error msg:  

"Some packages cannot be installed: torguard-4-0-1-0.x86_64 (due to unsatisfied libxkbcommon-x11) Continue installation anyway? Abort or Okay" 

I searched he previous posts and found some entries but no solutions that work. I also found (as did others) a package named  ' libxkbcommon-x11-s0'  (No good.

I have also installed these (Also to no9  avail!):

libxkbcommon0-0.8.4-1.mga7.i586.rpm

lib64xkbcommon0-0.8.4-1.mga7.x86_64.rpm

So what is going on???? This has never happened in the past when I have installed Torguard.

So what do I have to do to obtain and install this file/s to make Torguard install?  

15 answers to this question

you need to install it, not sure on which architecture you are and if you use any package manager, if you use yum, try something like this:

sudo yum install libxkbcommon-x11-0

those packages which you have installed are wrong and you installed also different architectures

Whoops, I hadn't noticed that I had installed for different architectures, I was just desperately looking for a solution and overlooked that.

I'm on x86_64.

I don't know why this is suddenly an issue when TG has always happily installed in the past.

Anyway, a person on the Mageia forums assisted me - pointing to a topic I had posted a while ago that also included TG not starting. In that answer was my solution.

Anyway, TG is installed, but still isn't functioning (see attached screen dump).

As part of the procedure to start TG, I set my firewall to accept "everything", then I start TG and when it is "connected" and "verified", I then reset my firewall back to the normal settings. So why would this be failing when the FW is wide open? Is there ports that I have to configure (that I have forgotten about since the original install of TG a couple of years ago on my original Mageia 7.1 system)

Any help greatly appreciated. although I won't be in a position to anything about it as I am going away tomorrow morning for a week.

Error msg - cannot connect to VPN mge port in Firewall - Screenshot_20200919_130018.png

please install latest version downloaded from dowloads, the bug you made a screenshot from was resolved, beside that it clearly shows you used 4.0.1 where v4.1.1 is available as well as there was also 4.1.0.

I have returned from being away.

So, I had installed 4.1.1 just before I left and got the same result.

So, I saw that 4.1.2 was released when I logged in today, so I downloaded and installed that.

See below install msgs where I select to install without dependencies (libxkbcommon-x11-0)

and then when I attempt to start TG v4.1.2-0 with exactly the same result.

So what is it I need to do to get TG working????

Error msg - install Torguard VPN msg - Screenshot_20200927.png

Error msg - Starting Torguard VPN error msg - Screenshot_20200927_191249.png

you probably should have installed all dependencies. As for your screenshot, I never experienced that error but seems there were some reporting it, I can not know if it is at all connected to libxkbcommon or not.

Please enable debugging in your torguard client and send the log to torguard support, they will be able to help out more than users here, especially if it is a bug in torguard client. As I said, I am not sure your issue is caused by libxkbcommon, check your debug log please to see what is not working, assuming will cost you just much more time and efforts.

If your choosen OS does not support or offer some packages, it is always better to build them on your own instead of using some unknown builds from unknown repos. To resolve your issue with xkbcommon, probably the best would be if you compile it by yourself. You also said that you already had this issue with mageia and you got helped on their forum but you never explained how it was resolved, as the point is, it seems there is no official package. libxkbcommon is maintained here: https://github.com/xkbcommon/libxkbcommon 

compile it on your system and if it works, it is good, if not, then consider switching to some Linux OS which is stable, like discussion about debian or ubuntu, of course debian is much better and ubuntu is based on debian, but the fact that ubuntu works out of the box for most average Joe users without a need to adapt things or even opening once a terminal, well, this is important reason of why ubuntu is a good system for linux newcomers. I am not asking you to switch your OS but to consider that possibility in case that your choosen OS lacks on something cruical that you need, I dont know if torguard is cruical for you.

Well using that command was what got TG working when I had an  un-associated problem previously (that a guy was helping me with on the Mageia forums).

So, I turned on Debug mode, set it to record to a file. I've saved that debug file and I'll send it to support to see if they can work out what's going on.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can compile libxkbcommon on my Mageia system.

Anyway, I can't understand why TG successfully installed and worked without this libxkbcommon problem when I very first installed it. It was probably originally installed on my Mageia #6 system that I upgraded in-place to #7, then again in-place to #7.1 (current version). This problem has only occurred since I have re-installed Mageia #7.1 onto a new SSD (unfortunately I couldn't copy over the partition, otherwise I would have).

Okay, I haven't been able to get back to his for a few days.

But, I was going through the debug log and found the following error:

OPENVPN STDERR:  "/opt/torguard/bin/openvpn: /lib64/libssl.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found (required by /opt/torguard/bin/openvpn)"

Does this mean that I have to upgrade my version of OpenSSL? I checked on that and it seems as though I have  #1.1.0l-1.1mga7 already installed but obviously not enough?  I can't seem to find an updated version that I could install for my system. 

I'm not really sure where to go from here.  I'll ask on the Mageia forum to see if I can get any help.

You could compile openssl, but openssl upgrades are sometimes nasty, you could mess up other packages. Either Mageia is kinda not very stable system for your purpose or you have troubles in setting it properly up. TorGuard seems clearly not to be backward compatible to lower ssl versions according to this log and by that, you should have installed 1.1.1. That your repo does not offer those packages is a question to Mageia maintainers and here I doubt nobody can give you any better reply than to compile all missing packages by yourself. However, knowing that you are unsure about what you do, next upgrade might again not work and you would feel angry in a need to do it all.

The resolution can come from 3 sides:

- Mageia can upgrade their packages

- You can compile all missing packages and install them

- Torguard should compile static builds including all required libraries.

Obviously longterm, torguard should have static builds, then users would not have any issues with missing libraries, however, it would not resolve your issue of actually having outdated system and maybe losing compatibility. Is there any specific reason why you stick to Mageia?

Milo6T

Well, once again I say - when I first purchased and installed TG on my (then # Mageia 6.1 system) it installed and worked without a hitch. As I said, I then upgraded my system "in place" to #7.1 and TG continued to work flawlessly.

It was only  when  I had to reinstall # Mageia 7.1 from the install USB (and download updates to the latest versions) onto my new SSD that TG has failed to work with the libxkbcommon-x11 problem.  So I don't understand why this is occurring.

I had a brief look at Github looking to find a single suite of source files to download (with associated compile script) to compile libxkbcommon-x11, but I'm not exactly sure what the heck I'm looking for (not being very experienced in this endeavour on Linux - I was in IT in my pre-retirement life so I have some exposure to these things). I found a lot of source files but not sure exactly which - or all - of them I needed.

Anyway, I'll ask on Mageia forum (even though it may or may not be a Mageia problem, maybe my ever reliable assistant there will point me in the right direction)

Ok, lets do it step by step, as first forget about libxkbcommon-x11, as it is openssl which causes the error vpn socket connection error. I believe that if you upgrade your openssl, then you will be able to connect. You had Mageia 6.1 which is simply older one and I for sure doubt that it had openssl 1.1.1, which might have been the reason why you upgraded at all. This can be resolved like I already stated by 3 sides, you, torguard and your OS maintainer.

Compiling something is easy, just go to the page where the package is, install requirements and build, you will have to seek for more info online if you build it yourself and are unsure what you do.

If everything fails and you still do not consider switching to some linux OS which would work for you out-of-the-box, then the only which I would suggest is to use instead original protocol clients instead of TorGuard, as TorGuard client is just a GUI for them. Best performance is with wireguard, but any would work. Otherwise you will simply break your system in not knowing what you did, and probably on next upgrade you will reinstall your system again. Openssl upgrade could be one of such things and for that you need to seek help from Mageia maintenancer.

Milo6T

I got an answer from my trusty guy in the Mageia forum and he says I'll have to drop back to an earlier version of TG that did work, as we only have OpenSSL 1.1.0 installed in Mageia 7.1 at the moment.

So that would explain why TG worked previously until I reinstalled Mageia #7.1 and installed the upgraded version/s of TG that then proceeded to fail with the requirement of OpenSSL 1.1.1!

I'll update with any success/failure I encounter.

1 hour ago, Milo6T said:

I got an answer from my trusty guy in the Mageia forum and he says I'll have to drop back to an earlier version of TG that did work, as we only have OpenSSL 1.1.0 installed in Mageia 7.1 at the moment.

Hmmm, I claim your guy gave you wrong information. Maybe mageia 7.1 has no openssl installed, but it can't be truth that you can't compile openssl: https://github.com/openssl/openssl

I do it on daily basis for different projects. Maybe you should open a thread there and ask really their devs and community, as to compile openssl is not a big deal, as well as you can then those libs without installing etc... .

But if you got this reply from devs, than it is very sad where Mandriva arrived and if their devs are incapable of compiling openssl, I truly believe it is a nonsense and everybody of them could tell you how to compile openssl, but if they cant, then seriously, switch your OS. If it is truth, ask them if they look for devs :), I might suggest them some.

Once again, compile openssl on your own, symlink or whatever the libs and run torguard manually until you resolved your issue. There is also Mageia beta 8, which would be strange if it does not include openssl.

Using old torguard bins will be troubling, more and more with each torguard release until it stops working.

Milo6T

Thanks for that info.

As for openssl 1.1.1, I presume that the devs are currently working on getting Mageia #8 up to speed so are not going to worry about upgrading openssl from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 on #7.1 .

I have Cauldron installed as well on my system, so I can test TG out on that and see how it goes.

Also, I was shying away from compiling openssl as you said previously:

You could compile openssl, but openssl upgrades are sometimes nasty, you could mess up other packages.

Anyway, thanks for the links as well, I would have been able to track those down myself so you have saved me the trouble, much appreciated.

6 minutes ago, Milo6T said:

Anyway, thanks for the links as well, I would have been able to track those down myself so you have saved me the trouble, much appreciated.

you are welcome, hope you get it soon running.