Release torguard-v4.1.1, 2020-09-15
===================================-

- All platforms: "Look up hostname before connecting" disabled by default
- All platforms: Enhanced Accessibility Support
- Windows: WireGuard Adapter counter not increasing on every reconnect
- MacOSX: fix bug setting DNS with only one entry

Downloads

24 answers to this question

works fine on x86_64, on aarch64 (ubuntu) I had to manually install it, would love to have it as debian/snap package

On rock and ubuntu it does not launch without manually fixing, there is a warning and missing lib for ubuntu aarch64 (Linux rock1 4.4.154-111-rockchip-g39b306a41b2d #1 SMP Wed Jul 8 15:03:52 UTC 2020 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux😞

warning: TCG doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.vmx [bit 5]

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2: No such file or directory

wiz

i just upgraded to client version 4.1.0 a couple of days ago and just realized its leaking my ip all over the place :(

it does not attempt to reconnect like the older version of the client i was using does and while its disconnected my real ip is active unlike the older version of the client i was using which would not allow any connections while it was attempting to reconnect

is there any way to fix this problem

and i cant find anywhere on the dowload page to download an older version of the client that was working for me its very frustrating

EDIT: i just installed client version 3.99.3 that i had on hand and after rebooting my router the client is not reconnecting is there some way to fix this it was reconnecting just fine before the only thing i can think of that changed is i updadted to the latest TAP driver 9.24.2.601 from whatever the previous one was could that be the problem or is it something else

EDIT2: ok so i rebooted the modem instead of the router and now its reconnecting it must be something to do with the client sensing the lan connection but i still find it very strange how it failed to reconnect and was leaking my ip before when i had not rebooted anything and it was just a client disconnection

C.C.

4.1.1 on windows 10 2004 build 19041.508 with kaspersky antivirus is having registry reading errors "RegGetValue failed with UNKNOWN(2)" when doing the block dns portion, which leaves it with an empty list and thus dns blocking fails and torguard does its best to keep all traffic blocked. I tried reinstalling and rebooting several times but got the same error.

Here is the probably the most relevant excerpt of the log for 4.1.1:

"Blocking outside DNS"
includeCurrentVPN  true  includeAllVPNs  false  includeLoopback  false  includeUp  false  includeDown  false
"Adapter[adapterName={redacted},friendlyName=Ethernet,ifType=6,ifIndex=26,ifIndexIPv6=0,staticNameServers=[],componentId=PCI\\VEN_REDACTED&DEV_REDACTED&SUBSYS_REDACTED&REV_12]"  includeCurrentVPN  false  includeAllVPNs  false  includeLoopback  false  includeUp  false  includeDown  true
Adapter rejected
Can not read value of ComponentId, skipping registry key "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Class\\{redacted}\\0022" , error message:  "RegGetValue failed with UNKNOWN(2)"
!---- snip -------- snip --- working through the list of adapters pretty much a repeat of above errors-------snip ---------!
"Error blocking OutsideDNS! Adapter list is empty!"
DaemonFrontendCloser::error -  "Could not block outside DNS-Servers,\nplease check your firewall settings!"  ,  ""
Daemon::error -  "Could not block outside DNS-Servers,\nplease check your firewall settings!"  ,  ""
TrayIcon::error -  "Could not block outside DNS-Servers,\nplease check your firewall settings!"  ,  ""
MainWindow::error -  "Could not block outside DNS-Servers,\nplease check your firewall settings!"  ,  ""
includeCurrentVPN  true  includeAllVPNs  false  includeLoopback  false  includeUp  false  includeDown  false

Rolling back to 4.1.0 fixes the problem.

"Blocking outside DNS"
"Adapter[adapterName={redacted},friendlyName=Ethernet,ifType=6,ifIndex=26,ifIndexIPv6=0,staticNameServers=[],componentId=PCI\\VEN_REDACTED&DEV_REDACTED&SUBSYS_REDACTED&REV_12]"  includeCurrentVPN  false  includeAllVPNs  false  includeLoopback  false  includeUp  false  includeDown  true
Adapter rejected
!----snip -----snip -----. working through the list of adapters pretty much a repeat of above, working smoothly------snip ---- snip--------!
Blocking IPv4 port 53 (DNS)
Blocking IPv6 port 53 (DNS)
No VPN executable to allow
Allow TAP adapter IPv4 port 53 (DNS)
Allow TAP adapter IPv6 port 53 (DNS)

Poofy
14 hours ago, wiz said:

i just upgraded to client version 4.1.0 a couple of days ago and just realized its leaking my ip all over the place :(

it does not attempt to reconnect like the older version of the client i was using does and while its disconnected my real ip is active unlike the older version of the client i was using which would not allow any connections while it was attempting to reconnect

is there any way to fix this problem

and i cant find anywhere on the dowload page to download an older version of the client that was working for me its very frustrating

EDIT: i just installed client version 3.99.3 that i had on hand and after rebooting my router the client is not reconnecting is there some way to fix this it was reconnecting just fine before the only thing i can think of that changed is i updadted to the latest TAP driver 9.24.2.601 from whatever the previous one was could that be the problem or is it something else

EDIT2: ok so i rebooted the modem instead of the router and now its reconnecting it must be something to do with the client sensing the lan connection but i still find it very strange how it failed to reconnect and was leaking my ip before when i had not rebooted anything and it was just a client disconnection

oh my god, is it really leaking ip? 😐

the previous versions has the option to disable all network when you dc from a server. but for some unknown reason they omitted that! 😒

i think the leaking is related to that. hope @Support must release a fix for this leaking ASAP 👀

Protek

Had to revert to the previous version (v4.1.0). Kept on getting "Could not block outside DNS-Servers, please check your firewall settings".

Uninstalled this version and everything works fine again.

Support

Hello,

We don't see any reports or can reproduce any sort of leaks on the latest client, nothing has changed in any of those features - there is still the network killswitch option for when the vpn is disconnected,  this I would recommend you enable, the hard kill switch which killed interfaces directly was prone to failing and so we removed that to prevent users relying on a feature that could potantially cause them to leak.

We are looking into the block outside dns issue but those of you who can reproduce if you can send some logs to [email protected] that would help greatly as we again cannot reproduce.

Regards

Neon
4 hours ago, Protek said:

Had to revert to the previous version (v4.1.0). Kept on getting "Could not block outside DNS-Servers, please check your firewall settings".

Same here.....

CmputrBlu
9 hours ago, Protek said:

Same. Get that msg when I startup my computer. This is with Wireguard. Other protocols seem to work fine if I switch over. Wireguard just doesn't allow a connection at all. See below. It says it;s connected but, no go.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, September 18, 2020_13h27m12s_001_.png

Support
4 hours ago, CmputrBlu said:

Same. Get that msg when I startup my computer. This is with Wireguard. Other protocols seem to work fine if I switch over. Wireguard just doesn't allow a connection at all. See below. It says it;s connected but, no go.

Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, September 18, 2020_13h27m12s_001_.png

Under more settings --> network tab ---> uncheck the top 3 options and retest please.

CmputrBlu

OK..reinstalled 4.1.1 and turned off the 3 options. I assume you meant the ones I highlighted in yellow (pic 1).  Seems I can connect now but I assume I'm not as protected as I was before and that you're not suppose to run the VPN like this.  I'm not protected

Morphy

Located a bug as well. 

This is on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04LTS

If I manually add a server :

This is what I did:

1: Goto settings, add server: 
2: Adding server details , flag with WG support!
Protocol any, port any
wireguerd port 1443, set as default.

Press OK and save.

Select the server you just added , and choose Tunnel type , and chose WireGuard.

Connect to the server. ALL GOOD.

Disconnect and then again go to select server you just manually added. Now again go to Tunnel Type and now Wireguard is GONE!
Major bug ..

I have testet this 3 times now, the exact same problem over and over.

wiz
On 9/17/2020 at 9:38 PM, Poofy said:

oh my god, is it really leaking ip? 😐

well the vpn client doesnt even try to reconnect and it just leaves you real ip exposed in anything you are doing

using the kill switch is not an option i dont want the irc and torrent and any download client to quit alltogether i just want everything to resume once the vpn client reconnects after a disconnection without allowing any network traffic before it reconnects but it doesnt even try to reconnect it just sits there disconnected until manually clicking the connect button

the kill switch might be ok for some situations but i dont want to get up in the morning only to find out that i missed a lot of chat on irc due to the client being killed with the kill switch to stop it from reconnecting using my real ip after the vpn client decided it was somehow ok to allow it

also what about anyone who doesnt even realize the vpn client has disconnected and they start downloading a movie torrent or something

anyway i found the vpn client v3.97.4 i dont know why we are not allowed to just download older versions from the downloads page in case there is a problem with any new version

1 hour ago, wiz said:

well the vpn client doesnt even try to reconnect and it just leaves you real ip exposed in anything you are doing

using the kill switch is not an option i dont want the irc and torrent and any download client to quit alltogether i just want everything to resume once the vpn client reconnects after a disconnection without allowing any network traffic before it reconnects but it doesnt even try to reconnect it just sits there disconnected until manually clicking the connect button

the kill switch might be ok for some situations but i dont want to get up in the morning only to find out that i missed a lot of chat on irc due to the client being killed with the kill switch to stop it from reconnecting using my real ip after the vpn client decided it was somehow ok to allow it

also what about anyone who doesnt even realize the vpn client has disconnected and they start downloading a movie torrent or something

anyway i found the vpn client v3.97.4 i dont know why we are not allowed to just download older versions from the downloads page in case there is a problem with any new version

I hope you get those issues resolved, maybe using a proxy/socks is exactly what most people do to prevent leaking when VPN suddenly stops working which can be issue on torguards side, your side as well  as your ISP.

Users on mobile connections (LTE) have much more issues especially when it comes to IP change.

1. For those reasons you should always use additional proxy/socks server, be it your browser or some download programms,  in case that something happens, like here where you claim you disconnect.

2. I can not confirm that any client since 3.97 leaked, please post any logs confirming that you leaked anything and as you say it happens often with new client then I guess it should not be a big deal for you to replicate it and send log files to support.

3. You can use openconnect, openvpn, wireguard and anyconnect clients, nobody forces you to use TorGuard client beside that, TGC is not available for all architectures, knowing how to setup it with torguard client would be here useful.

wiz
5 hours ago, 19807409 said:

as you say it happens often with new client

well it doesnt happen "all" the time but it did happen twice in the few days since i installed v4.1.1 and i dont know much about networking so i dont know what that proxy/socks stuff means

anyway never had this problem before but im waiting now for a vpn disconnection while using v3.97.4 to see if it will at least attempt to reconnect while also at the same time blocking internet access like every torguard vpn client always did before

edit: the problem can be reproduced by simply pulling out the network cable from the pc and while using v3.97.4 it shows reconnecting and wait until the cable is plugged back in and the lan connection is re established and the vpn client automatically reconnects but with v4.1.1 the client doesnt make any attempt to reconnect or at the same time block internet access until it does so so imagine if you didnt realize the vpn had disconnected you would be happily using your real ip and be none the wiser

btw using windows 8.1

thanks for the suggestions i didnt know that there were other clients that were compatible

kx9134

Keep getting the cannot block outside dns error. also couldnt retrieve logs. Guess yall live up to the "no logs" policy AHAHHA

cANNot block outside dns.PNG

no log.PNG

SplittingDistant

I'm seeing strange Task Bar Icon behavior since upgrading to v4.1.1 - once connected via OpenVPN the taskbar icon disappears after a few minutes, although the Torguard client seems to still be running. This does not seem to happen when connecting via Wireguard.

The period of time before the Task Bar Icon disappears seems pretty variable - it's been visible now for about 5 minutes - the longest it's managed so far.............

I'd really like to revert to v4.1.0 pending a fix - it would be nice if Torguard kept older versions available, just in case.

Support
22 hours ago, Morphy said:

Located a bug as well. 

This is on Ubuntu Desktop 18.04LTS

If I manually add a server :

This is what I did:

1: Goto settings, add server: 
2: Adding server details , flag with WG support!
Protocol any, port any
wireguerd port 1443, set as default.

Press OK and save.

Select the server you just added , and choose Tunnel type , and chose WireGuard.

Connect to the server. ALL GOOD.

Disconnect and then again go to select server you just manually added. Now again go to Tunnel Type and now Wireguard is GONE!
Major bug ..

I have testet this 3 times now, the exact same problem over and over.

If you select other servers, do you see wireguard?

Support
11 hours ago, kx9134 said:

Keep getting the cannot block outside dns error. also couldnt retrieve logs. Guess yall live up to the "no logs" policy AHAHHA

cANNot block outside dns.PNG

no log.PNG

Either the tg app is unable to write to file or you didn’t restart the app after setting the log option?

Can you let us do a teamviewer if you don't mind?

Regards

Support
3 hours ago, SplittingDistant said:

I'm seeing strange Task Bar Icon behavior since upgrading to v4.1.1 - once connected via OpenVPN the taskbar icon disappears after a few minutes, although the Torguard client seems to still be running. This does not seem to happen when connecting via Wireguard.

The period of time before the Task Bar Icon disappears seems pretty variable - it's been visible now for about 5 minutes - the longest it's managed so far.............

I'd really like to revert to v4.1.0 pending a fix - it would be nice if Torguard kept older versions available, just in case.

What version of Windows are you running? are you saying it disappears completely from the system tray? can you please send me a log via [email protected] when this happens?

Regards

21 hours ago, wiz said:

well it doesnt happen "all" the time but it did happen twice in the few days since i installed v4.1.1 and i dont know much about networking so i dont know what that proxy/socks stuff means

anyway never had this problem before but im waiting now for a vpn disconnection while using v3.97.4 to see if it will at least attempt to reconnect while also at the same time blocking internet access like every torguard vpn client always did before

edit: the problem can be reproduced by simply pulling out the network cable from the pc and while using v3.97.4 it shows reconnecting and wait until the cable is plugged back in and the lan connection is re established and the vpn client automatically reconnects but with v4.1.1 the client doesnt make any attempt to reconnect or at the same time block internet access until it does so so imagine if you didnt realize the vpn had disconnected you would be happily using your real ip and be none the wiser

btw using windows 8.1

thanks for the suggestions i didnt know that there were other clients that were compatible

I am not using windows as well as I do prefer original client instead of any 3rd parties, especially for wireguard. TorGuard does not offer a client for all architectures and that is one reason, the other is that I do not need a GUI for something that a system has a GUI for (like gnome).

kx9134
13 hours ago, Support said:

Either the tg app is unable to write to file or you didn’t restart the app after setting the log option?

Can you let us do a teamviewer if you don't mind?

Regards

I've sent in a log yesterday already.