TorGuard
Brainbleach

Port forwarding Wireguard is available

Rate this topic

Brainbleach

It seems like port forwarding for wireguard is now available for shared IP's.  I didn't see a notice anywhere so thought I would make a post.

Morphy

Works like a charm!

TG client hardly dont use any resources on Ubuntu ^^ 

Confirm that portforwarding is working .

Cytane89

Could you please explain how to do this? I'm a bit new to this. I thought that by using shared IP port forwarding wouldn't work because once you disconnect and reconnected to the VPN again your IP would be different and therefore the portforwarding would've only applied to your previous IP since you don't have a static dedicated IP.

Support
52 minutes ago, Cytane89 said:

Could you please explain how to do this? I'm a bit new to this. I thought that by using shared IP port forwarding wouldn't work because once you disconnect and reconnected to the VPN again your IP would be different and therefore the portforwarding would've only applied to your previous IP since you don't have a static dedicated IP.

Login to the client are and under Services --> My fixed IP's switch your Dedicated IP or port forward to wireguard, then head over to https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-openvpnconfig and generate your wireguard config.

Regards

Cytane89
3 minutes ago, Support said:

Login to the client are and under Services --> My fixed IP's switch your Dedicated IP or port forward to wireguard, then head over to https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-openvpnconfig and generate your wireguard config.

Regards

Sorry, not sure if I'm misunderstanding. This response seems to be the method of port forwarding when you have a dedicated IP. The OP of this post mentions that you can port forward with a shared IP, which would just be the regular VPN, without any dedicated IP right? If so, then these instructions don't seem to apply to my use-case(as I only have the VPN and no static IP) or what the OP stated as being able to do.

Support
Just now, Cytane89 said:

Sorry, not sure if I'm misunderstanding. This response seems to be the method of port forwarding when you have a dedicated IP. The OP of this post mentions that you can port forward with a shared IP, which would just be the regular VPN, without any dedicated IP right? If so, then these instructions don't seem to apply to my use-case(as I only have the VPN and no static IP) or what the OP stated as being able to do.

It’s the same method for both, just enter the port forward IP and generate your config :)

Brainbleach

once you open a port for a shared vpn IP address, your TG app will get that IP pushed into your dedicated IP's list as "Port Forward" and you just connect to that same shared IP address each time you need those ports open.

Cytane89
1 hour ago, Support said:

It’s the same method for both, just enter the port forward IP and generate your config :)

1 hour ago, Brainbleach said:

once you open a port for a shared vpn IP address, your TG app will get that IP pushed into your dedicated IP's list as "Port Forward" and you just connect to that same shared IP address each time you need those ports open.

Ahh I understand now, tyvm. I'll give that a go now. Just curious though, is there an inherent security compromise by repeatedly connecting to the same IP with certain ports open because it's not a truely unique IP only used by you, but by many?

Brainbleach
9 hours ago, Cytane89 said:

Ahh I understand now, tyvm. I'll give that a go now. Just curious though, is there an inherent security compromise by repeatedly connecting to the same IP with certain ports open because it's not a truely unique IP only used by you, but by many?

Actually the fact that many users are using the same IP address gives you increased security since any actions taken by a single user could never be pinpointed since many people use that server.  

• Thanks 1

Morphy

Your ip is defined for Wireguard connections, so how can your connection be “anonymous”?? 

Brainbleach
1 minute ago, Morphy said:

Your ip is defined for Wireguard connections, so how can your connection be “anonymous”?? 

someone didn't read up on the changes TG made to the backend to correct this flaw in wireguard.

Morphy

Please elaborate . I didnt read that, so please explain :)

Brainbleach
7 minutes ago, Morphy said:

Please elaborate . I didnt read that, so please explain :)

Morphy

Cheers thanks. 

Brainbleach

yup yup no worries