Support

Release torguard-ios-v1.5.2, 2020-08-29
====================================

- Fixed Dedicated IP issue for IKEv2 and IPSec

- Fixed Dedicated IP unreachable error.

- Reworked Login flow

- Some minor internal changes.

Downloads

P.S. Any further issues please report them here - thanks.

Zaheer
6 hours ago, Support said:

- Reworked Login flow

Downloads

In your new app version 1.5.2 while connected via WiFi with custom DNS 10.26.0.1 connection to Salt Lake City server the app crashes and don’t connects if I remove the dns then it connects. Protocol OpenVPN.

i haven’t tried with other servers yet. On iPhone and iPad both platforms same issue. 

Ming Ming

The default protocol config for iOS app is TCP. Can you make it UDP for the default in future updates, because it feels like UDP makes the connection faster and more stable.

Support
23 hours ago, Ming Ming said:

The default protocol config for iOS app is TCP. Can you make it UDP for the default in future updates, because it feels like UDP makes the connection faster and more stable.

Sure, I was initially going to do this but many are blocked using UDP - I will have a think and see what we can do.

rdaf2014

The new IOS version 1.5.2 still drain the power of my phone. 

observations from version 1.5.1 and 1.5.2

I couldn't understand why my phone lost battery so fast over the last couple of days, until I looked at battery usage on my Iphone SE.
Torguard app used 67% of all used power.

So I think you need to look at this version. The previous version (before version 1.5.1) wasn't even near this power usage, typically below 10%.

Best regards

Anders

Support
4 hours ago, rdaf2014 said:

The new IOS version 1.5.2 still drain the power of my phone. 

observations from version 1.5.1 and 1.5.2

I couldn't understand why my phone lost battery so fast over the last couple of days, until I looked at battery usage on my Iphone SE.
Torguard app used 67% of all used power.

So I think you need to look at this version. The previous version (before version 1.5.1) wasn't even near this power usage, typically below 10%.

Best regards

Anders

Hello,

We looked at this, whilst using openvpn with different encryption algorithms, some do use more battery power than others, can I ask what encryption cipher and port you are running currently?

Regards

blob

I can confirm the battery drainage. About 75% for me over the last 24 hours. Phone just died 3 hours after being recharged.

Currently using SHA256, AES-128-CBC, port 1912

I think that I was on SHA1, port 443 before, but that didn't make any difference.

Please fix, I have to turn off my VPN while one the road now.

secretprobation

Why is CBC encryption even an option on the iOS app when the standard seems to have shifted to GCM? The windows client doesn't even let you choose CBC.

blob

Not that I know what CBC is, but ... the app doesn't let you choose.

In the options, there is a group called "Port/Auth", which lets you choose "443(SHA1)". After connecting it shows cipher "BF-CBC".

When choosing "1912(SHA256)", it's " AES-128-CBC"

blob

Any updates? I did uninstall the app twice, restarted the phone a few times, and now run it on port 1195 SHA 256.

It's better than before but still bad. Interestingly, the phone seems to drain lots energy while idle. I just had it lying around for 2-3 hours and the battery went down from about 60% to 25%. Never happened before. Battery health is excellent. iPhone 6s, iOS 13.6.1

Check out the screenshot. See how it died last night and Safari vs. TorGuard battery usage. Unheard of ...

battery.jpg

• Like 1

rdaf2014

My settings is:

openvpn, udp, 1912 (sha256)

have also tried other settings, and as far as I can see, they all use much more power than previously.

my phone (iPhone se, iOS 13.7), shows pretty much the same as Blob’s screenshot. 

Support
15 hours ago, rdaf2014 said:

My settings is:

openvpn, udp, 1912 (sha256)

have also tried other settings, and as far as I can see, they all use much more power than previously.

my phone (iPhone se, iOS 13.7), shows pretty much the same as Blob’s screenshot. 

Thanks, we are looking into it.

Support
On 9/17/2020 at 1:12 AM, blob said:

Any updates? I did uninstall the app twice, restarted the phone a few times, and now run it on port 1195 SHA 256.

It's better than before but still bad. Interestingly, the phone seems to drain lots energy while idle. I just had it lying around for 2-3 hours and the battery went down from about 60% to 25%. Never happened before. Battery health is excellent. iPhone 6s, iOS 13.6.1

Check out the screenshot. See how it died last night and Safari vs. TorGuard battery usage. Unheard of ...

battery.jpg

We are looking into this Bob.

blob

Also just discovered that the client "ate away" 470mb of cellular data in about a week!

I don't remember to have ever seen it towards the top of the list before. Certainly doesn't make me super happy to have my data used for nothing.

Hopefully it's a hint about what's wrong with this version.

torguard-data.jpg

Zaheer
On 8/30/2020 at 3:16 AM, Support said:

- Reworked Login flow

Downloads

Any updates with the new version for iOS when can we expect it?

blob

So I left Torguard accidentally on twice overnight and extended times during the day - and aside from the battery drain

It used 3gb of data!!!

To make sure that this is not a phone glitch I checked the data usage with the provider, and it's correct.

I see that v1.53 is out now, which maybe fixes this issue, but I would like to see an explanation here about what happened and what this data is, because I am at this point really worried that private information has been transferred from my phone.

blob

The lack of support here is really putting me off now.

Support
On 10/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, blob said:

So I left Torguard accidentally on twice overnight and extended times during the day - and aside from the battery drain

It used 3gb of data!!!

To make sure that this is not a phone glitch I checked the data usage with the provider, and it's correct.

I see that v1.53 is out now, which maybe fixes this issue, but I would like to see an explanation here about what happened and what this data is, because I am at this point really worried that private information has been transferred from my phone.

Hello,

Sorry for the delay - we have been extremely busy lately - the battery drain is now fixed in the latest release we just published, however the data usage we cannot reproduce or give you an explanation for right now, I don't believe we have any other reported cases, nonetheless we will keep an eye out for it.

Regards