TorGuard

10gbit with SOCKS5 Proxy

Rate this question

Jeomite

Question

Jeomite

Sorry if this is a "dumb" questions, but I'm coming from being a NordVPN user.

What attracted me to TorGuard is the 10gbit Premium Network addon, so I signed up for 30 days to give it a test run before committing to a longer subscription...

I'm using SOCKS5, as I use the service exclusively for torrents only. (And that's the service I purchased; and I paid for the extra 10gbit addon)

How do I know if I'm actually connected to a 10gbit server?
My SOCKS5 connection via through proxy.torguard.org and speeds are okayish (~100mbit). I think I'm not running on the 10gbit server (I have gig fiber connection).

Should I be connecting through a different proxy hostname?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

On 7/2/2020 at 1:24 AM, Jeomite said:

How do I know if I'm actually connected to a 10gbit server?

you can check the ip address, as example on https://www.whois.com/ or any other similar service. TorGuard also shows that info on their page, as example one of their 10Gbit servers in London shows this:

netname:        EU-100TB
descr:          UK2 Infrastructure
remarks:        100TB
remarks:        INFRA-AW

Those remarks can be of course fake or not real, the only way to find it out would be simply to test it and for that your test device needs to have 10Gbit connection too (or faster). Normal users dont have it, many companies have dual 10Gb (one as backup). But from my experience, users are restricted by speed as well as it is reduced by some firewalls and so on. You could take AWS or google server and make performance tests from them, just make sure your server has 10Gbit. By possibility, take the closest server.

Normal torguard IP's can give you normally above 100mbits, I got 700 few years ago with normal shared ip's, today it must be even faster.

Should I be connecting through a different proxy hostname?

Yes, proxy.torguard.org is not 10Gbit network, login to your account and checkc out 10Gbit servers and their IP's. ´

My SOCKS5 connection via through proxy.torguard.org and speeds are okayish (~100mbit). I think I'm not running on the 10gbit server (I have gig fiber connection).

You cant get more than you get without SOCKS/HTTP