TorGuard

VPN cuts speed by 50% in Windows 10

Rate this question

molitar

Question

molitar

Ok I have tried dedicated IP VPN, Wireguard, UDP and TCP and no matter what I am not able to get above 220/120Mbps on a 500/500Mbps connection.

Why is VPN so dang slow on Windows 10?  It's unreliable and my cloud backups keep failing due to this very reason.

How are others getting such great speed from VPN in WIndows 10?

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, molitar said:

Ok I have tried dedicated IP VPN, Wireguard, UDP and TCP and no matter what I am not able to get above 220/120Mbps on a 500/500Mbps connection.

Why is VPN so dang slow on Windows 10?  It's unreliable and my cloud backups keep failing due to this very reason.

How are others getting such great speed from VPN in WIndows 10?

Encryption is done locally, it wont be the windows platform - its probably your machine hardware that is your bottleneck. 

for example, I can achieve 600mb on one machine. but only 100mb on another lol 

I tried an old i3 laptop with 3gb & it can't get over 50mbps on a gigabit connection 

molitar

Should not be hardware here.

AMD 2700x Processor

Asus Rog Strix x470 Gaming F mobo

32GB of 3000Mhz Memory

500GB SSD drive

Swap file is on an 12GB Ram Disk

So it's really hard to see this as a Windows problem when my CPU is barely moved and so much free Ram.  Could it be a really inefficient client the TG Client?  Are you using a different client?  I have a 1GB Ethernet connection to the router.

ABrownCBR

I have a similar setup to yours and i get good speeds with the TG client are you using wired or wifi and if you are using wifi are you using the 5GHz or the 2.4GHz