TorGuard
secretprobation

Replacing OpenVPN hostname with IP to connect

Rate this topic

secretprobation

In the hotel I am currently staying in, I ran ping tests for some of the US servers and found that I could successfully connect to the New York and Atlanta servers but not Miami. The attached image shows the cmd results of said ping tests. However if you conduct a hostname to IP lookup on the internet, you can put one of those resolved IPs into your openvpn config file in place of the hostname. If I ping the top URL "173.44.37.122" I do get a successful connection and I can connect to the server.

On the windows client, it stores a cached list like this for every server location, and you can disable the "look up server hostname before connecting" to alleviate these issues. However if you wanted to use the OpenVPN app on your phone or computer, you would have to change the "remote" line in the *.ovpn from "remote us-fl.secureconnect.me port" to "remote 173.44.37.122 port"

This is obviously just my experience with this particular server, but the point stands for whatever you are trying and failing to connect to. The hotel wifi was blocking UDP port 500 so IPsec and Ikev2 was not working across the board. So I was trying to connect to the Miami server (closest to me at the time) via the iOS openvpn app when I came across this solution.

ping.PNG

hostname to ip.png

secretprobation

Slightly related, the same solution works for the AnyConnect app on the iphone. Anyconnect and Openconnect have compatability, so if you enter into the url "https://173.44.37.122:22" you will be able to connect that way as well if "https://us-fl.secureconnect.me:22" is not working.

harvinator1900

what actually causes this? I'm no longer able to connect to most of the us servers through my openvpn config on my vpn router - I have to use an IP address from one of them. is my isp blocking something?

Support
15 hours ago, harvinator1900 said:

what actually causes this? I'm no longer able to connect to most of the us servers through my openvpn config on my vpn router - I have to use an IP address from one of them. is my isp blocking something?

It may just be your ISP's cache - we migrated DNS to a new DNS system, for the vast majority its seamless but some users ISP may take a while to update there cache or you may need to flush the DNS cache on your OS or device. Unfortunately there are a large number of ISPs that seem to ignore TTLs all together in their DNS caching schemes. If you happen to be on one of those ISPs it could be hours or even days before they respect the new records, even if you have a very low TTL set.

secretprobation

Maybe your ISP is blocking certain domains of the "secureconnect.me" hostname? Im guessing a similar thing is happening on my end. Glad you found a workaround though.

harvinator1900

im starting to think the issue may be in my router somewhere. i can ping the atl server on every machine except my router. Even pinging from within the isp's gateway works fine. I posted in my router's manufacturers forum and provided some dns logs, which doesn't seem to be the issue either. im stumped.