TorGuard

Share android vpn connection via wifi

Rate this question

Gionata

Question

Gionata

Hello how do I  share my torguard vpn connection of my android phone via the tether wifi function of the phone.

If I connect another device I see that the phone shares the normal connection and not the vpn one.

many thanks for your help!

Gionata

6 answers to this question

The answer is; It's complicated.

If you device is routed, then this is can be done be changing some settings normally locked out, or you can just use an app like "SWAT Tether Unlocker Free".

If your device is not routed, then you can't do it wirelessly, but you can do it via a USB cable and an app like "ClockworkMod Tether (no root)". It requires you to cable the android device to the PC/Laptop you want to connect, and install the counterpart of the ClockworkMod on the PC. They create a connection between them, and route your traffic through your phones internet connection.

Gionata
8 minutes ago, Avatar_GW said:

The answer is; It's complicated.

If you device is routed, then this is can be done be changing some settings normally locked out, or you can just use an app like "SWAT Tether Unlocker Free".

If your device is not routed, then you can't do it wirelessly, but you can do it via a USB cable and an app like "ClockworkMod Tether (no root)". It requires you to cable the android device to the PC/Laptop you want to connect, and install the counterpart of the ClockworkMod on the PC. They create a connection between them, and route your traffic through your phones internet connection.

Hello many thanks for your reply. 

unfortunately the phone is not rooted and the laptop is a corporate one where I cannot install any programs.

Isn't there another solution?

Thanks

You can get a 3/4/5G VPN enabled WiFi travel router, and move your sim to that when you need it, but then you effectively loose your ability to make calls on the phone - although it can still use the wifi from the router for internet - it's what i do in hotels when i travel for work.

I have been looking for a router that would allow me to connect to my mobile via the USB tether and broadcast the wifi, but I've not found such a device currently, and since i use my phone for online banking, i can't route it.

If you have a corporate notebook and you want to have VPN connection, I assume that your logic is, you can install software on your phone and thats where you install VPN client and that is why you want to share VPN connection over phones wlan tethering. This has some major flaws, my suggestions would be:

A: your corporation probably has its own VPN for which a client is installed and if you work for other companies, your notebook might have more than 1 vpn client installed. TorGuard supports quite all available protocols, many corporations use anyconnect and you can connect to TorGuard with your anyconnect.

By that, its much better if you connect to your VPN from your Notebook connected to Internet over Wireless/USB Tethering.

B: Use poor-mans-vpn, that is simply SSH, you can do quite everything with it, your phone has to be connected to wlan, then you can connect over ssh to your phone and redirect it wherever you want. Nice thing on poor-mans-vpn is that you do not need admin privileges to run it and communication is encrypted which does not allow your company to spy on you.

I think for your purpose, option A is the best possible and if your notebook has no client installed and your admin refuses to install it, then you can use option B. If you are working in some IT company which restricted properly also option B, write here and you will for sure get proper reply.

The main reason to do this is so you don't get charged by your mobile provider for tethering devices on your mobile data usage.

1 hour ago, Avatar_GW said:

The main reason to do this is so you don't get charged by your mobile provider for tethering devices on your mobile data usage.

There are ISPs who charge you if you enable tethering? I guess I do not understand what you mean. Beside that, at least for EU, most people have unlimited data usage in their contracts and some LTE as their main internet connection at home.