TorGuard

Cannot Install VP9 Adapter

Rate this question

top001386

Question

top001386

Hi, I recently had to delete the VP9 adapter because I troubleshoot a ton of issues with my network connections.  I somehow inadvertently ruined it.

Now, every time I try to reinstall TorGuard and the adapter, I get the dialogue box that says a driver problem was detected, but I keep getting this error when I click YES.  I have no clue what this means.

image.png.7d0bd8cbe3db8128bcf97dfa783c7061.png

3 answers to this question

kurisu

Looks like a registry issue or something to do with a conflicting/additional OpenSSL installation. Do you have any other VPN adapters installed?

I'd try using Revo Uninstaller Portable to do a deeper search, use it to also detect related registry entries and files which may be being left by the installer, uninstall the software that way then do a fresh install with a freshly downloaded copy of the latest Torguard installer.

top001386
Posted (edited)

Nope, no beans.  I went as far as a deepscan into the registry, uninstalling any possible drivers, etc.  Even when I fully cleaned out the program, I restarted, reinstalled and same error message.

Edit: Weird.  I decided to try installing it on an alternate Windows account on my PC, it installed and worked fine.  So I went back to my main account, opened it, and it started working.  VERY ODD.  Good news is that it's now working.

Edited by top001386
Update
kurisu
On 5/29/2020 at 11:02 PM, top001386 said:

Nope, no beans.  I went as far as a deepscan into the registry, uninstalling any possible drivers, etc.  Even when I fully cleaned out the program, I restarted, reinstalled and same error message.

Edit: Weird.  I decided to try installing it on an alternate Windows account on my PC, it installed and worked fine.  So I went back to my main account, opened it, and it started working.  VERY ODD.  Good news is that it's now working.

How utterly infuriating! But very glad you fixed it...

Thinking back, I once had some really bizarre Windows 10 account issues which required me to make a second account then 'rescue' it with the donor account's contents. System files missing, permissions all wrong, services broken etc. Never figured out why that happened but glad installing via a second account fixed it for you :-) sounds like a similar root cause.