TorGuard
Support

WireGuard on the Way! (In Development)

Rate this question

Question

Support

Hello everyone,

We seem to be receiving more and more questions about WireGuard recently due to the extreme difference in speeds over other protocols, our developers are working hard on integrating into our Desktop apps at first and then mobile apps thereafter - our WireGuard integration will support Dedicated IP's, Port forwards, Streaming/Residential IP's and support ALL locations.

We know everyone is hoping for a design update, there will be some small changes soon but not drastic, we really don't want to change things drastically, our functionality and app flow/security is more important, the app flow will change but again not drastically, remember it's not about how one looks, it's what's inside 😉

Best Regards

TorGuard

• Like 7

Support
22 hours ago, spartan34 said:

That’s awesome, thank you!

Quick follow-up question.  Once WireGuard is setup with dedicated IPs — will that also be offered for the premium residential streaming IP’s like the ones offered/leased from Charter/Spectrum?

Thanks again!  Very exciting...

That’s correct yes :) this severs are not yet done but will be soon.

14 hours ago, 19807409 said:

thanks for reply

does it mean that all servers (shared ip's) can not be used without torguard client? I hope not or you have torguard client for all architectures, even if one has to enable it on the account would be better than not to be able at all to use all servers.

Seeing a pic and version number I assume it is already compiled and ready to release, that's good. I also assume torguard will make some sort of announcement after release of how you handle those different issues connected to wireguard as in your reply it seems you can not reply before the release happened, at least it sounds to me that way.

I tested last few weeks a little bit more and those enabled wireguard servers work pretty stable and well everywhere, on android I have issues, but this is probably connected to wireguard and not torguard, will be interesting to see if same issues persist with torguard app on android, btw, will android's version support wireguard?

Currently yes but there will be a way around it and we will let you know how to do that, we are trying to cover all angles - our implementation needs to resolve all security concerns and this is what we have done but the catch is being limited to the TG Client - we will provide details once its ready. 

Regards

2 hours ago, Support said:

Currently yes but there will be a way around it and we will let you know how to do that, we are trying to cover all angles - our implementation needs to resolve all security concerns and this is what we have done but the catch is being limited to the TG Client - we will provide details once its ready. 

Regards

I rather would love to have working product at the end than broken/unsecure implementation where both is subjective, by that I mean working servers not working 3rd party application. Better you release few weeks later but proper implementation, negative publicity can cost much more than those few weeks.

It would be also interesting to see which issues you are covering/covered which are caused by wireguard usage and if you say that you have currently solution in a client itself working on all architectures I would assume it is a script, I hope it will be scriptless for non tg client users and can be managed by wireguard config.

For the sake of information for other users I asked those things in forum, especially as some blogs promoting other vpn services put specific warning for TorGuard, people ask more and more as they are aware that those blogs promote something but it still raises their concerns.

schwartzenheimer

I'm having difficulty understanding: you currently have WireGuard on your New York servers; why must we wait for your clients in other locations, if we can currently connect to the NY servers with the built-in client in, for instance, the iNet GL-AR750S router? Can't you roll out the server side to your other locations, like LA, independent of your client development??

Support
7 hours ago, schwartzenheimer said:

I'm having difficulty understanding: you currently have WireGuard on your New York servers; why must we wait for your clients in other locations, if we can currently connect to the NY servers with the built-in client in, for instance, the iNet GL-AR750S router? Can't you roll out the server side to your other locations, like LA, independent of your client development??

Those servers under the WireGuard section in the client portal are separate to our main network, they are only used for WireGuard.

Regards

jpgk82

15 days since I was told could be 48 hours and I would be on wire-guard beta testing

Must have hit some serious issues for even a beta to be that delayed 

Support
34 minutes ago, jpgk82 said:

15 days since I was told could be 48 hours and I would be on wire-guard beta testing

Must have hit some serious issues for even a beta to be that delayed 

No serious issues, just server side niggles with our implementation, we are working on that now, it takes a wee bit when there are thousands of servers.

We won’t be too long before we send out some Beta's.

Regards

• Like 1

Support

Please see the following thread for our Betas

RiskyRaccoon
On 7/23/2020 at 5:06 PM, 19807409 said:

btw, will android's version support wireguard?

I really hope so, would love to hear from the devs on when to expect this

James8078

There are just few wg servers for routers vs windows torguard app .....

Necron

I've tested the speeds of Wireguard and i must say that i'm impressed, really good speeds, it's like i'm not using a VPN :P

I have one question regarding Wireguard and this quote:

Our team is extremely excited to bring WireGuard into the TorGuard VPN lineup. We will continue to offer OpenVPN as the default connection and will by no means abandon development of established VPN tunnel options like OpenVPN, OpenConnect, and SSTP. WireGuard is simply another privacy tool we are proud to offer in the TorGuard VPN toolbox and we look forward to receiving valuable feedback from you, the customer.

If you will continue with the openVPN, Openconnect and SSTP, does that mean that in terms of encryption, those VPN tunnel options are less secure or better than Wireguard?

Or is Wireguard more secured than those VPN tunnels?

Regards.

BluePoet

Is there any plan to allow routers running dedicated IPs to get access to wireguard, or is that already supported and I’m missing something?

James8078
5 minutes ago, BluePoet said:

Is there any plan to allow routers running dedicated IPs to get access to wireguard, or is that already supported and I’m missing something?

Only open vpn 

BluePoet

So there will never be a router for dedicated IP?  I thought it was being worked on.