TorGuard
Morpheus

TorGuard VPN Speeds - What are you getting?

Rate this topic

Morpheus

I'm getting so many different solutions on what to get in hardware and what speeds I should be getting using what hardware.

I have a 200mps cable connection, and I have a Netgear R7000 router running DD-WRT, connecting to Torguard with OpenVPN. The Torguard server I'm connecting to is about 300 miles away.

I  was getting 20mps but swithced from UDP to TCP and now I'm seeing 28mps.

I do understand that my R7000 router is performing at it's best because of the hardware (1GHz).

I've been looking at different hardware in order to speed you my VPN usage.

I'm looking at a fanless mini pc I7 3.5GHz with 6 1GB ports and wireless to run pfSense on, which will replace the R7000. With this hardware I should be able to get far more than 200mps.

I'm told by Torguard the I7  I'm looking at will probably max out and 100mps. They say there is no throttling on their servers.

My question is:

Note: If you are not using OpenVPN then please don't respond.

Are you using a router, and if so what model?

Are you using a PC running pfSense with OpenVPN and if so what processor are you using?

What speeds are you seeing while on the VPN?

What speeds are you seeing while NOT on the VPN?

Note: It appears that processors are the key to better performance. It also appears that routers are not the best way to go if you want to maximize bandwidth while access the VPN.

Thanks...

NKA1

I got 100mbps and I'm getting ~20mbps download with a regular sub with no add ons.   I had the 10GB plan before, but was not able to see any difference in speed while using it. 

Morpheus
10 hours ago, NKA1 said:

I got 100mbps and I'm getting ~20mbps download with a regular sub with no add ons.   I had the 10GB plan before, but was not able to see any difference in speed while using it. 

Are you using OpenVN, and on what kind of hardware?

You are saying 'regular sub', and what does that mean?

Tony_18

I'm getting about 55-70mbps down and 20 up,openvpn no addons. 430down/25up no vpn. It's been slow lately.

Joe62

Asus RT-AC86u

I have 1gig fibre connection.....consistantly get 200-230 download speeds....and I'm quite far from servers...approx. 1200 miles

Before I bought router.... my computer was getting between 50-70

Morpheus
4 hours ago, Joe62 said:

Asus RT-AC86u

I have 1gig fibre connection.....consistantly get 200-230 download speeds....and I'm quite far from servers...approx. 1200 miles

Before I bought router.... my computer was getting between 50-70

Are you using OpenVPN on your router for VPN access through Torguard?

It appears you are getting around 20% of your total bandwidth. I'm assuming outside the VPN you are getting 900-980?

Your bottleneck could be your router as it has a 1.8GHz dual-core processer.

haseeb

I get 40 down and 90 up on TCP with Stunnel. Normal connection is 250 down and 100 up.

Joe62

with torguard off.....I get high 900's using a bell server in our region. If I set speedtest to telus server in Toronto ...vpn off...I get around 400....vpn server in toronto using same Telus server 200-230.

As said before....I'm about 1200 km (including atlantic ocean) from nearest torguard server. If I connect to New Jersey server I get between 160-200.

I prefer router....that way my phone...ipad....etc all go through vpn and add blocking. No doubt a better router processer would give me a better speed.....put price would be alot more.

Yes I use openvpn...udp...AES-128-GCM gives me best speeds for vpn.....I've tested pretty well all settings.....these settings provide best speeds  ...and does

work well. Also run some scripts on usb that asus-merlin firmware supports.I 'd like to try wireguard on it....but firmware doesn't support it. I do know I can add it manually. on usb....but it would be testing my skill level...it would be all command line based..and everything works solid with openvpn and  I have graphical screen to make changes. If firmware ever supports it...I'll be pretty quick to test it.

I actually bought router because wireguard was 3 times faster than openvpn on my strreaming machine which had a celeron processor....proving thay celeron was having a hard time with open vpn...40-60 speeds was the best I ever saw..... wireguard 150-160 

uNc
On 5/9/2020 at 6:41 AM, Morpheus said:

I'm getting so many different solutions on what to get in hardware and what speeds I should be getting using what hardware.

I have a 200mps cable connection, and I have a Netgear R7000 router running DD-WRT, connecting to Torguard with OpenVPN. The Torguard server I'm connecting to is about 300 miles away.

I  was getting 20mps but swithced from UDP to TCP and now I'm seeing 28mps.

I do understand that my R7000 router is performing at it's best because of the hardware (1GHz).

I've been looking at different hardware in order to speed you my VPN usage.

I'm looking at a fanless mini pc I7 3.5GHz with 6 1GB ports and wireless to run pfSense on, which will replace the R7000. With this hardware I should be able to get far more than 200mps.

I'm told by Torguard the I7  I'm looking at will probably max out and 100mps. They say there is no throttling on their servers.

My question is:

Note: If you are not using OpenVPN then please don't respond.

Are you using a router, and if so what model?

Are you using a PC running pfSense with OpenVPN and if so what processor are you using?

What speeds are you seeing while on the VPN?

What speeds are you seeing while NOT on the VPN?

Note: It appears that processors are the key to better performance. It also appears that routers are not the best way to go if you want to maximize bandwidth while access the VPN.

Thanks...

hello,

I have used both pfsense and Asus RT-AC86U routers that have hardware acceleration. OpenVPN speeds were about the same maxing out at 230Mbps with AES/GCM128. The pfsense box was an i5 from qotom. If you prefer to use a pfsense appliance which is much more complicated to set up than an asus router, be sure to get one that has AES-NI CPU and Intel LAN ports or you are just wasting your time. It is also critical to use an Asus router with hardware accleration or you will be also wasting your time trying to max out OpenVPN speeds. I personally use asus RT-AC86U routers but I recommend the new asus RT-AX88U as it is proving to be more stable than the AC86U routers. If you want faster you will need to switch over to Wireguard and/or IKEv2 but these are not supported by Asus routers. With IKEv2 and wireguard my speeds achieved 500Mbps testing thru the cli on a macbook.

Morpheus
6 hours ago, uNc said:

hello,

I have used both pfsense and Asus RT-AC86U routers that have hardware acceleration. OpenVPN speeds were about the same maxing out at 230Mbps with AES/GCM128. The pfsense box was an i5 from qotom. If you prefer to use a pfsense appliance which is much more complicated to set up than an asus router, be sure to get one that has AES-NI CPU and Intel LAN ports or you are just wasting your time. It is also critical to use an Asus router with hardware accleration or you will be also wasting your time trying to max out OpenVPN speeds. I personally use asus RT-AC86U routers but I recommend the new asus RT-AX88U as it is proving to be more stable than the AC86U routers. If you want faster you will need to switch over to Wireguard and/or IKEv2 but these are not supported by Asus routers. With IKEv2 and wireguard my speeds achieved 500Mbps testing thru the cli on a macbook.

ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 - Is that what you are recommending?

Are you using the stock firmware with OpenVPN?

uNc
4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

ASUS RT-AX88U AX6000 - Is that what you are recommending?

Are you using the stock firmware with OpenVPN?

Yes, the AX88U is highly recommended by many users. I use Merlin f/w which provides much needed serttings controls for OpenVPN.

Lechauve911

I have 300+/150+ and I usually get 250-270 /70-80, I have a dedicated untangle appliance my Linksys wrt32 only as access point

ABrownCBR

I have 200+/10+ with spectrum on Los Angeles servers I get 70/10 and other servers like San Fran, Dallas, or New York I get 185+/10. It seems only the LA servers are slow ones for me  

CSJ

I have a 1gbps connection, but usually get in the 700's without a vpn. 

I just tested wireguard app with Torguard & got 670mb lol 

but I don't see split tunnelling on it, but then again I don't see split tunnelling on the TorGuard app either for a UDP connection 

CSJ
8 hours ago, CSJ said:

I have a 1gbps connection, but usually get in the 700's without a vpn. 

I just tested wireguard app with Torguard & got 670mb lol 

but I don't see split tunnelling on it, but then again I don't see split tunnelling on the TorGuard app either for a UDP connection 

im definitely getting similar speeds on Torguard compared to no vpn at all when using their wireguard network.

it looks like Wireguard is the way to go on ultra-fast connections if you want to use vpn 

CONSIDER ME IMPRESSED!!

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 01.40.41.png

ABrownCBR

Same here with Wireguard I get more consistent speeds with mobile and on desktops. I can't wait until they put out more servers in the states

Support

Hello,

Just so you guys all know we have WireGuard coming soon to our desktop apps, its currently in the works and will be applied to ALL servers :)

Regards

• Like 1

Morpheus

Wireguard will only be available on the desktop app and not to routers?

xxxisp
20 hours ago, Support said:

Hello,

Just so you guys all know we have WireGuard coming soon to our desktop apps, its currently in the works and will be applied to ALL servers :)

Regards

Wonderful!!! I hope the dedicated Torguard app improves upload speed over the stock Wireguard app, but I'll be really happy to have it on "ALL servers" either way. I'm looking forward to trying IKEv2 as well. 🙂

CSJ

my dedicated streaming IP is definitely slower than the regular UK server the Torguard app offers which is disappointing 

im hoping the move to Wireguard for all puts it all back on track. :) 

RCM

I have an ostensible 200 Mbps internet connection but it averages only around 187 Mbps.  Connected to my closest Torguard server I typically get about 67% of that, or around 125 Mbps. That's pretty decent, I think.

Morpheus
12 hours ago, RCM said:

I have an ostensible 200 Mbps internet connection but it averages only around 187 Mbps.  Connected to my closest Torguard server I typically get about 67% of that, or around 125 Mbps. That's pretty decent, I think.

How are you connecting to Torguard  using a router or the desktop app?

Are you using OpenVPN?

What model of router are you using?

Are you using the original router firmware or another firmware?

Are you on Windows, or a unix box?

RCM
4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

How are you connecting to Torguard  using a router or the desktop app?

Are you using OpenVPN?

What model of router are you using?

Are you using the original router firmware or another firmware?

Are you on Windows, or a unix box?

I'm using the desktop app with default OpenVPN settings on Windows 10.  I can't tell you much about our router except that it's a Netgear56.

uNc

Speedtest from SE Asia to Miami FL, OpenVPN, tested on CAT5 using cli speedtest on macbook.

molitar

How the heck are you guys getting them speeds?  I have 500/500 FIOS and I only get around 215/107Mbps. 

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/64607739

I am using a dedicated IP VPN.  What settings are you all using to get the speed that you are getting?

Windows 10 64 bit here

AMD 2700X Processor

32GB DDR4 3000Mhz